1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL.com regarding Norv

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    LINK

Norv Turner
    (third season with Chargers, 12th overall)

In two seasons under Turner, the Chargers have won consecutive AFC West titles and played for the AFC championship. However, at least part of that factual info is frequently branded with an asterisk: last season's division title came with an 8-8 record after Denver's catastrophic collapse that cost Shanahan his job.

San Diego's in-season inconsistency over the last two seasons has been a source of frustration for the team's fan base. Things aren't looking ideal for a pre-season division favorite that now trails surprising Denver by 3½ games.

There also is mounting dissention and chaos among the ranks. Tailback LaDainian Tomlinson didn't seem to want to hear anything Turner had to say after Turner pulled him during a goal-line situation against Denver (imagine a player doing that to Bill Parcells or Bill Belichick, or even Fisher). General manager A.J. Smith claiming some players were playing "soft" didn't sit well in the locker room, either, especially with outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, whose off-field drama has played itself out and pushed him closer to being set free to play elsewhere after the season.

The thrice-hired, twice-fired Turner (21-16 with San Diego after going 50-60-1 with Washington and 9-23 with Oakland) tends to get the Chargers rolling late in the season, but if the Broncos keep winning and San Diego continues its Jekyll and Hyde act, winning in December might not mean much. It stings worse knowing the Raiders have just as many victories.

There is also reliable chatter in league circles that should Turner be let go, Gruden and Shanahan would like to be at the front of the line to take his place.

Bottom line: San Diego needs to stabilize and get to the playoffs again or Turner -- and possibly Smith -- could be in trouble, especially with mounting buzz about attractive potential replacements.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    What would get my attention most is how they are already talking about who is going to replace him, and there are credible sources that say this man wants the job........WHEN WE'RE NOT EVEN HALF WAY THROUGH THE SEASON!

There is little or no chance that Norv gets fired before January, the wildcard is still well within reach, and we're already talking about his successor as if the announcement is just days away.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I want Chucky, Joiner stays or it's no deal.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The next head coach needs to be at least HAPPILY married. The hot trim out here will lead to another meltdown. Is Chucky married?

I would have to apologize to him for the verbal lashing I gave him as he exited his bus here at the Murph about a decade ago. It was a rare moment where it was me (and a couple of other wasted fans :lol:) and him. :icon_twisted: Dude gave me the Chucky scowl :icon_twisted: wondering who was the effing nightmare unleashing the venom on his ***. :lol: There is a little bridge which overlooks the enemy busses - our version of the grassy knoll but made out of concrete. Oh and a perfect urine bomb launch point as well. :icon_banana:

Another Classic Bolt moment. :bolt:

5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I have no clue if he's hitched or not. Yeah, I think if I were you I'd leave things unsaid. Don't remind him about your past inebriated exploits.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I had an amigo call me last month about seeing Chucky in an interview. They called him "Mr. Gruden" on the show. Anyway, my amigo who now lives in Arizona calls to tell me - "hey you remember the time you called out Chucky from the knoll?" You said "FU Chucky we are going to F up your world ........."

My amigos point was that the show was being very polite calling him "Mr. Gruden."

My amigo calls to tell me that "it is not Mr. Gruden according to TrumpetMan" and basically repeated what I yelled that day and more on the phone to me.....Hell I had forgotten that event until I was reminded. :lol:

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    So why are we pissed? Is it our fault the Broncos are 6-0? No. Let's say we beat the Ravens (because we should have,) we'd be 3-2. Either way we're still behind. Nobody here predicted us to be undefeated at this point so quit complaining. Denver has to lose eventually.

And if we replace Norv, we better bring in a pretty ****ing good replacement. He's gotten us to the playoffs and gotten past the first round, so the next mother****er better lead us to 12+ wins a season and a ****ing Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Chucky may have forgotten all about it also, no need to stir up old emotions.

I'd love to see him here, keep Joiner on as OC. Chucky runs the WCO, which is a slimmed down version of what we run and Philip is capable of all the throws.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Joiner as OC? he has only ever been a position coach, what gives you the confidence he can be an effective OC? :icon_huh:

10. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i've been a stay the course guy (not necessarily a norv fan) but the 11-12 record since the afc championship game is a statistical reinforcement of what we all have been feeling. the team is regressing under norv.
    blame injuries, i say lack of conditioning, or back up player prep. blame player selection, i say he's arguably got the best roster in the league. blame whatever you want, norv is sucking the spirit (slowly perhaps) out of this team.
    i harken back to what a former co-worker who played with norv at oregon told me in nov. 2007; he said we would never win the sb with norv because the guy is just a downer. he cited a couple of examples of when in practice he would make a great catch (co-worker was a receiver) and come back to the huddle and norv (the qb) would look at him in his sideways headcocked way and whine "jeez did you have to dive?" it's this same spirit and body language he exudes game after game and i would guess in practice and meetings.
    i for one am convinced his departure should be imminent if we do not make the playoffs.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    well, 1 of those yeah 5-1 vs 3-2 is way better than 6-0 vs 2-3

I think 90% of candidates would be better than Norv, except for maybe some powerhouse college coach

I'll take Chucky :tup:, I hate Shanarat too much to want him as HC

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't know, but he knows the Coryell offense as well if not better than most. I highly doubt Norv would stay on as OC, so I just go with Joiner.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We are only 3 games better than the Raiders on our 11-13 stretch under Norv .... that stat may be off a point or two except for the 3 games better than the Raiders.

3 games better than the Raiders....the worst football team in the last decade.....

That **** is sobering.

What gives ?

Pulling LT out and then reading lame *** excuses how Rivers changed up the play from pass to run does not explain why LT was not on the field on 3rd an 2 from the 2 yard line. Jesus christ. Norv lost LT and a good part of the team on that lame *** call. :tdown:

Norv is indeed the anti-christ. :icon_evil:

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I didn't understand the LT call at all. Another thing that griped my *** was Tolbert came in and was moving the ball well. Then poof, he was gone

15. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Trumpet dude, were you the one making those inspiring artworks i.e. Rivers in Superman's suit, AJ in Moses' attire holding the tablets, etc?

You should make some of those with Norv's face on it and send them to him. It might help his decision making. I think he is really in a rut now.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not have the talent to make those pictures you are referencing. They were sent to me and I just pimped them out if I recall correctly....anyway....

It is one thing to make bad play calls. **** happens.

Pulling LT on the goal line was the straw which broke the camels back. Earlier Norv did not go for it against the Ravens before halftime on the goal line and settled for 3 points = no sack = no heart.....Bad calls....

I have seen enough.

Next coach up please. :bolt:

The fan base or the ones with any scruples are in re-building mode.

17. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Yup - hate to say it but we have gone the wrong direction and it's going to take a while to get this big ship back on track.

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Just say yes to Chucky. :tup: :icon_toast:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We do not have the horses up front.

We need a minimum
    of 5 linemen. (NT, DE, RT, C and anyone who can push the starters).

A new head coach as well.

Hire Bill Arnsparger on D as coach before he dies.

Get Coryell up in the booth as a consultant.

20. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think that if they replace Norv, it's pretty safe to assume the season is over.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing, actually I have never liked what I saw from a Norv led team.

I'm not fooling myself. I don't think this team is going anywhere this year. I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Norv mid season. The new coaching staff would have a head start on next season.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Every week I see more effort from the Lions than this bunch

and emotion too.

:tdown:

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Exactly why I'd want Chucky here, it would give him time to evaluate the player's and make the cut's he see's fit.

23. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't think so, a new (good) HC, new coordinators, a good Oline coach could do it in one offseason, I say the Oline is 4/5 complete. RT is needed but the others are fine (you can't draft a RG since Vazques is a rookie). depth would be good

the Dline is another matter but if OG and Martin become decent player mayba a NT early in the draft and depth would do it

I agree, draft 4-5 linemen and let's go!

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Annointed by your gawd. :yes:

Kiss THAT tip, cheetah. :icon_banana:

25. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

Trumpy you have come around and abandoned your defense of Norv.

This bud's for you.:icon_toast:

26. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Norv reminds me of those Civil War northern generals: McClelland, Burnside, Hooker, etc who just didn't have the leadership to tackle with Lee despite with a favorable dispositions in manpower and equipments. The result was needless wastes of many lives. Fast forward to present time, Norv' era will be considered a wasted opportunity for such talented team.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Since you put it that way. To hell with those damned Yankees. (Stars&Bars here)

Be right back, now I need to go get me a bottle of Rebel Yell.

28. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Every coach is going to have an upside and a downside. Schot. Inspired the team and we played harder but didn't amount to ****. We all remember the massive downside to ol' Martyball. No playoff wins = No relevance.

Now stupid Norv; is a failure always has been always will be. But **** when the guy does enough to make this teams offense a whole lot more dangerous and stumbles fumbles and bumbles our asses to some playoff wins that does count for something! Ask the titans once and the colts twice how bad norv was. That was then but we are only a few games in to the year and people are freaking out; we can gauge what the team is doing at the mid way point.

What the players have done as in hustling hitting the **** out the guy in front of them and winning individual matchups is a much bigger problem. The lack of focus by AJ on making this team better is disgusting. He if anyone is the ****ing reason we haven't got better. Look at all the moves the AFC west has made to get better; right or wrong; chiefs cassel - raiders seymor - broncos dawkins - and what do we do put ads in the pennysaver for gems?

When we needed to make a move and as usual the chargers sat on their hands and watched as usual.

So Be IT it's chargers ball; this is how it always has been and always will be; the bolts will start clicking and we will be entertained **** the broncos, chiefs, and raiders. We can take KC and **** eating OAK; denver WILL be getting its *** handed to them by the ravens :deadhorse:

In closing; GO BOLTS!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

His wife's name is Cindy and they have three sons I believe.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    ****inA. :icon_toast:

At least we've got a bad-*** Southern boy at QB. :tup: :tup: