1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Commish thinks Rookie contracts are 'ridiculous'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EsDee_in_RI, Jun 27, 2008.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Finally someone with real power says something!!!

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah, it's ridiculous... the absurd thing is that the players association hasn't pitched a fit over rookie pay. I mean shouldn't the PA want to protect the guys that are already in the league? Vets get shoe-horned out of jobs because rookies come in eating up so much cap space and with so much expectation. It seems like this is an issue that the owners, commish, and PA should all agree on. So where's the action? How did they all let it get to this point? :icon_shrug:

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think that Upshaw is really missing the boat on this one. He's looking at it from the viewpoint that higher rookie salaries = higher salaries for the vets. I don't see it that way & I don't believe that the majority of vets agree with that reasoning. We've already heard from several that they're in favor of a rookie cap.

Until Goodell does something further about Bellicheat & the Putz, he can KMA. So I guess I'll just be keeping that hard-on for him. :icon_shrug: :icon_evil:

4. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Goodell says pay for unproven rookies is 'ridiculous’

It's about time! Rookies should start out at an entry level wage for a couple of years. Then when they have proved themselves, they will make the big buck deal according to their potential. This will also give them time to grow up and hopefully able to handle fame and fortune better.

But it's all wishful thinking. The players union will not go for that.

5. JBerrier

JBerrier BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I agree that rookies are getting way to much for proving nothing. Have a set amount for each draft position or for a section of draft positions. This would allow teams to keep useful vetern talent and hopefully stop all of these rookie holdouts. Getting the rookies into camp so they can begin to learn system instead of trying to get a few more dollars.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think the Commish commenting on this is fairly ridiculous. The commissioner is not really involved in CBA negotiations. The owners and the players association negotiate the CBA. Goodell doesn't really have any say in the matter. His opinion doesn't really mean dick. I'd prefer that Goodell focus on doing his phucking job instead of just kissing up to the owners.

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    But, but, but.... Isn't the Commish a recognized authority on "rediculous"? :icon_tease: