1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL commissioner Tagliabue to retire in July

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2376850

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    I have to admit, he has done a great job!

3. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Yup, way better job than in the NBA or MLB.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yup, except that he's been very anti San Diego. :icon_evil:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    How so? He wants the superbowl here, has spoken with the leaders of San Diego about a new stadium etc. What more should he do?

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    No, he's the one that vetoed any more Super Bowls here until we get a new stadium. He's alss mentioned San Diego when saying that LA will have an NFL team.

When we had our last Super Bowl, the media made comments like why don't we have Super Bowls here regularly and that this was one of the best places for a Super Bowl. Lets just say his comments about San Diego at the time were less complementary.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    I missed that...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    On the other hand, getting the CBA done this year without any major holdups is a big feather in Tagliabue's cap.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Especially with all the side barring he had to do. This was a task that he had to play the game and be political.

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Here's an article that mentions a few possible replacements:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/398566p-337604c.html

This part was also interesting:

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    He doesn't think much of San Antone either!!!:icon_evil:

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, I noticed that this season. Maybe it's a good thing he's retiring.

13. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Are you sure he's anti SD or do you just think he should like SD more so you're not happy? It's a fine line and sometimes hard to see... but I think he's got no possibility of being anti SD when he put the Super Bowl there a couple years ago! BUT I do see the reason for wanting a bigger stadium. MORE PEOPLE IN THE SEATS = MORE MONEY COMING IN!!! That's what it's about!

• Like Like x 7
  14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I have no prob with him moving along!!:icon_evil:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    You guys are sensative like little women. Saying the Comish doesnt like SD or SA... Paaalease.

Yeah he said no new Superbowls in SD until we get a new stadium... So frackin what?! Is he wrong? Is the Q a good stadium? Anyone remember when Phill Simms and Pat Summeral was rained on INSIDE THE PRESS BOOTH?! Yeah, the Q is a broken down stadium that is not up to current NFL standards. What he said was correct and was directed at the city council that continues to sit on its collective thumbs about the stadium! So what did the Comish do wrong?! NADA!

SA, not wanting the Saints to move there is the correct stance, nationwide the NFL would have had a black eye for "abandoning" the injured community of New Orleans if he did back the movement. That would be bad for the NFL and set a terrible president, making cities wonder if the NFL is going to abandon them after disasters. He did the right thing, take it as a slap in your cities face if you want to, but that aint what it is.

This comish is one of the best, ZERO work stoppages in his what 17 years... ZERO! What other sport can claim that?! Unser his reign the NFL has grown to become the national pass time. 4 new teams were added and NFL profits have exploded!

And you guys want to cry in your coffee cause he didnt say warm and fuzzy things about your city? You want to take comments and say they were actually against your communities? WOW! Switch to decaf already...

In this posters humble, and soft spoken opinion.

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah I want to cry in my coffee... Must just be me. :rolleyes2:

Link #1:San Diego deserves Tagliabue apology

Here's a quote and link to what Tagliabyatch said about the last Super Bowl in San Diego: Link#2Tagliabue tackles Chargers issues
    Link #3Thou Hast Erred, Mr. Commissioner
    Link #4Tagliabue blew it on San Diego stadium issue
    Link #5Dear Mr. Tagliabue
    Do a search and you'll find tons of other examples.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    IS HE WRONG?! Or are you up in arms because he said what everyone knew?

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yes! He is wrong!!!! :icon_evil:

The last Super Bowl here went off with out a hitch. Even John Madden commented on Tagliabue's words saying something along the lines of what was he thinking? So much of the media praised San Diego when the Super Bowl was here. You did watch this Super Bowl, no? Maddens comments were right during the game!

He's used hard ball tactics to try to force the city into giving free land to the Spanos family. And to say, he didn't know why they were here this week when we had the super bowl. We'll that's just unexcusable. He's mentioned his priorities of getting a franchise in LA and also stated there will be no new expansion teams. He's made comments along the lines that San Diego doesn't deserve a team.

Pete Rosselle retired in San Diego County. Pete Roselle cared about the communities that support the NFL. I think he'd be rolling over in his grave hearing the comments of this commish. Glad to see him go. There's more to the NFL than TV contracts. Besides, the TV contracts would have happened regardless of who the commish was. :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    We will have to agree to disagree.

Form the way your going on, you seem to feel the Q is in good shape. I dont. We do need a new stadium. You can ignore the facts supporting that if you wish. I wont.

If you think anyone could have done what Tags did, thats your choice. I think thats a bit short sighted.

Go on hatin, but history will record him as the best Comish of the NFL.

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    ???
    Are you kidding? Rosselle was a better comish. I'm not denying that we need a new stadium, but I don't like Tagliabue's hard handed tactics, and his DIRECT put downs of the City of San Diego. He's about revenue, plain and simple. Read between the lines Conc! He doesn't care if we get a new stadium. He'd just as soon see the Chargers move to LA.

If history records a commish as the best because he disrespects communities that he thinks he can suck more revenue out of, or threatens to move teams from communities that support them only to get to bigger markets, well, I can't support that.

Don't think the Chargers can't move. It happened in Cleveland and Houston, only thing now is there are gonna be no more replacement teams. I guess you're already closer to LA than me though. :icon_evil:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Choose to believe what you will. he was right about San Diego. He didnt sugar coat it. He has said that he wants a NEW frachise in LA, not one that has been transplanted.

He has gone on the record in saying HE WANTS THE NFL IN SAN DIEGO! He offered to put San Diego on a rotation of 3 or 4 years for the superbowl. NO OTHER TEAM HAS HAD SUCH AN OFFER! Yet, the guy hates San Diego because he called the stadium 'not up to current NFL standards' which it is not?

Your right, get a rope, the guy is a no good varment...:rolleyes2:

The NFL is the national passtime now. There has been no work stoppages in the 17 years he has been in office. NO OTHER SPORT CAN CLAIM THAT! Rozelle cant claim that. Yet, because he said the truth, the palin and simple truth about San Diego, he is the bad guy. The owners community WAS about to pull the SB out of San Diego. THE OWNERS, not Paul. Paul laid it on the line and let the city council know what was being said. If that makes him the villian, well we will never have heros.

22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You're only seeing what you want to see, guess we'll have to disagree.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    I think that is the way of things on both sides of this dance.

24. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I wasn't dancing. I was laying out the facts. :icon_wink:

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Say is this the first post fight of the merged forums?!

ROCK ON!

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Jaded and slanted as they might be!:lol

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    :icon_shrug: We wasn't fighting. We was conversating! :lol

28. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Got to go to work. I'm gonna be late already.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Damnit... I wanted to be part of the first fight!

30. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Tagliabue is a poopyhead! :p