1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Crackdown on YouTube Begins

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Nov 10, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +852
    They also deleted a bunch of fan made videos. Lame, just lame. :no:

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2006/11/08/nfl-crackdown-on-youtube-begins/

The days in which we can relive Dwight Clark's catch, Donovan McNabb's 4th-and-26, and Joe Theismann's leg break are about to come to an abrupt end. The San Jose Mercury News is reporting that the NFL has asked YouTube to remove video clips of NFL games from its site. This was confirmed on Monday by the NFL's director of corporate communications, Brian McCarthy.

On the one hand, I understand that any rebroadcast, reproduction or other use of game footage without the expressed written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited. On the other hand, these YouTube crackdowns annoy me, because it shows once again that all these corporate entities focus so much on the almighty dollar that they fail to understand the value of free publicity. All these clips that show up on YouTube only help fans feel more connected to the game of football, which is the NFL's primary product. Shutting that down doesn't help customer relations one bit. NFL fans who want to enjoy classic clips from their childhood aren't that likely to drop two bones on an iPod-only replay of last week's Falcons-Lions game, no matter how entertaining it might be to see a team built by Matt Millen knock off Ron Mexico.

I want to believe that this is just a prelude for Roger Goodell to strike some sort of online video deal similar to the National Hockey League's deal with Google Video, but the NFL isn't nearly as desperate for eyeballs as the NHL. When the money is flowing, you want to keep that flow going at all costs, even if it means annoying fans in the process. The football business is different enough from the music business that it won't make enough of a dent to matter. Few of those fans will turn away just because they can't watch Joey Porter scream, "They shot me in Denver!", for the 500th time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Bummer, man. Start downloading, quick!

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +852
    Even the clip I put up of MadMike and Trumpet man being shown on KUSI news during mini camp was removed. WTF? Why the hell would they take that down?

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Slightly OT:

I have had my episodes of Sienfeld. They been taken off of youtube as well.

:mad: :angry: :mad2: It makes me mad that all the $$$ greedy *** fools want to ruin our entertainment and enjoyment for the dollar.:mad2: :angry: :mad:

Fugg-um.

I am not a happy camper.

5. Blackened

Blackened BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Our youtube Raider group had over a hundred vids between us, and they were all whipped out, and several of us were banned due to copyright infringment..

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15947560.htm

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

6. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +852
  7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,545
    I can't say that I'm surprised at this. Considering the way the RIAA went after people, some of which never had stolen music, even the slightest whisper of copyright infringement is going to prompt a knee-jerk reaction.

It's all about ownership and the NFL, as much as I hate to admit it, OWNS it all. I've several great charger videos there. I wonder what site will take youtubes place for NFL clips.

8. Blackened

Blackened BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
  9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When the CBA was renegotiated, one of the grey areas was "future revenue streams not yet identified". All of this stuff will be available for a price to somebody whether it be the advertisers or the end consumer.

The YOUTUBE crack-down sucks assss :tdown:

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Once YouTube was purchased by Google to merge with Google Video, that's when it became really serious about cracking down on posted videos containing copyrighted clips, whether it be video, or music.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  13. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
  14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Johnny I need clarification on this one.

Did you mean that Trumpies post was nice that is above your.:icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

OR

Did you mean it is nice that Youtube is getting rid of vids from their site.:icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

Help me out here. I am confused:icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    He dug the videos I posted.

You are thinking too much on his response.

The videos are cool

The **** happening on YOUTUBE sucks *** !!!

16. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :icon_party: I need more Alcohol in my system before I can think clearly.:icon_party:

I am too sober.

Youtube does suck ***!!!!!:yes:

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am way ahead of you on the alcohol.

BEER number 9 is coming up and I just got banned from the Bengals Forums = a win tomorrow. :lol: :nana_rasta: :nana_dance:

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Congratulations on the ban.:icon_toast: :icon_banana: :icon_party:

Go Trumpie.:tup: :icon_toast: :lol:

Still Youtube sucks ***!!! Trying to keep it on topic.:icon_mrgreen:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It is a honor to get the badge for the forum week end and week out. :icon_banana:

The Bengals forums are weak....way weak..... :tdown: :yes:

20. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    my question is this:

What is next?

Is it your Avatar next Jdog. :icon_shrug:Because in some way it can be a money making machine with Eddie the Icon of Iron Maiden.

I am just wondering what the next thing that can be. I am just amazed what can not be seen or shared on the internets mass environments. For just free instead of us paying for it.

It does make me piisssed off.:mad2:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/11/14/bc.fbn.congress.nfl.ap/index.html

'We're intrigued, to put it mildly'

NFL Network games get attention from Congress

Posted: Tuesday November 14, 2006 8:54PM; Updated: Tuesday November 14, 2006 8:54PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The NFL is about to start airing live regular-season games on its own network, and that has Congress a bit curious.

"We're intrigued, to put it mildly, what the NFL has in mind," Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said Tuesday at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Specter grilled NFL executive vice president and general counsel Jeffrey Pash during the 90-minute hearing on sports programming. The hearing focused on how live games on the NFL Network could affect cable and satellite rates and whether the games raise any antitrust issues in connection with the Sports Broadcasting Act.

The NFL Network will air eight live games this season, starting Thanksgiving night when the Denver Broncos play the Kansas City Chiefs. Some broadcast companies, including Time Warner, have balked at paying the higher fee the league is charging to carry the network because of the games.

Time Warner chief operating officer Landel Hobbs testified that the NFL Network's rates are "out of whack" when compared to viewership ratings.

Pash responded that the NFL Network has indeed increased its fees, but he cited the popularity of the league's product as justification. He said other NFL Network carriers -- including DirecTV, EchoStar, Comcast and Cox -- have not passed along the price increase to their customers. However, Comcast wants to start offering the network as part of a premium sports-tier package, which has sparked a legal challenge from the NFL.

Pash also noted the NFL is the only major pro sports league that broadcasts all of its games on free, over-the-air television in participants' local markets. The NFL Network games will be aired by local stations in the participating teams' markets, using the same arrangement that exists with ESPN telecasts on Monday nights.............click on link 4 more

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Uh, lessee...MadMike, TrumpetMan - hell yeah, get the hook!!:icon_mrgreen: :lol: :yes: :icon_rofl: :icon_banana: :icon_party: