1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL dangerously close to jumping the shark

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yes, that's my opinion....... read on. ;)

More countries could be hosting regular-season games
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT

[​IMG]

The NFL’s international series has focused in recent years on building a presence in London. But that’s not the only foreign country in which the league is willing to ignore that “N” is for “National.”

Via Albert Breer of NFL Media, the league is considering the staging of regular-season games in Mexico and Germany, in addition to the recent suggestion that the 2017 Pro Bowl could be played in Brazil and ongoing efforts to play in Canada and China.

“The work we’re doing now is to ask, ‘How do we accelerate the agenda in Mexico, Canada and China?'” NFL executive V.P. of international Mark Waller told Breer. “Those would be our next stage, and we have offices in those three countries. And then, after those, where should be our focus? I think we’ve concluded that Brazil and Germany are the next two frontier markets, which is where the Pro Bowl idea comes from.”

Ten years ago, more than 103,000 fans showed up for a Cardinals-49ers game in Mexico City, but the league has not yet played another game there. Security concerns often have been cited as one of the reasons for no sequel, yet.

If the league decides to play games that count while playing three games per year (and possibly more) in London, the league will need more teams to give up home games. Apart from the fairly new rule that teams hosting a Super Bowl must give up a home game, Breer points out that teams relocating to a new market must sacrifice one home game per year while playing in a temporary venue pending the construction of their new stadium.

This could give the NFL up to two extra exportable games per year for several seasons, if two teams move to L.A. in 2016.

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Let's put this into some perspective:

At almost 52, I have only so many unused Sundays left, assuming that I will be living the normal lifespan expectancy of a healthy of mind and body adult male in North America.

With that said, if the Chargers move to LaLa and also if the NFL dilutes the product to IFL, then I will seriously consider NOT letting IFL stealing from me the 17 to 21 Sundays (along with some Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays too :eek:) which I have been giving up too easily to them for the last 25 years or so ;)

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Come on now think of all those Brazilian cheerleaders.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'm not much of a theoretical guy, I rather hop on a plane and go mongering in San Paolo instead ;)

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I'm not entirely fond of the idea but I'm not going to quit watching football just because 4 or 5 of the 256 regular season games (That's 1.5625% to 1.953125% ) and the most meaningless game in all of professional sports (Pro Bowl) are played in other countries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Dude go back to your Shelton avatars. Beevis doesn't match your style of wrighting. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Shelton avatar? If you insist

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    When is NFL gonna realize that these other countries don't give a sh*t about american football.....they only care about stupid-*ss soccer......and that's perfect......I prefer it that way......
    This whole playing games in London is a big F-you to the fans because they get screwed out of a home game.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Every game but one at Wembley stadium has had at least 81,000 in attendance (90k capacity). Only two haven't had at least 83k.

Let's not petend it's not a successful venture for them just because we don't like it.

This doesn't necessarily mean I think it'd be successful for a team to move overseas, or that London being successful means other countries will be as well..but with that you can't blame them for trying, at least not if you look at it from a business standpoint and not that of a fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Also toss in sold out stadiums in Mexico City for a preseason game (regular and preseason), sold out stadiums in Japan, and Germany for preseason games and it is not something I would say that other countries dont give a sh*t about...

Is the Football as big as futbol in most countries? No. Is it hated? No. It has been gaining popularity in Europe especially.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    Hell.....why stop at this planet......I heard Venus, Saturn and Mars want a piece of the action too....might as well.....let's water this mother F'r down......NFL on everyday of the year on every F'n planet......
    No to mention Uranus.....Oh Yeah....I said it......:whistling:
    And then....OOOOoooooo.....maybe another galaxy....yeah!!!!! The endless possibilities.....:geek:

Maybe the moon??....naw....too small of a market....it would never work.....

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Reductio Ad Absurdum arguments don't negate the fact that London fans are much more interested in attending the games than you gave them credit for.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Actually, I think that's more of a slippery slope argument than it is reductio ad absurdum.

Either way, neither negates the attendance facts posted earlier.

14. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    Mexico City maybe....... but flights back and forth to Europe......Jesus H. Christ.......no thanks.....said every NFL player.....

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    It is. And I felt this coming for a few years now

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    A few games played outside the US is not a big deal. The flight from San Diego to Mexico City takes as long as the flight from San Diego to Kansas City. Some people see anything that happens outside our international boundaries as automatically inferior.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I don't see the NLFPA arguing to put a stop to the London games.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    There is merit to them not wanting to play there for a full schedule, however.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/02/nflpa-believes-it-can-block-a-move-to-london/

But that's different than a few games here and there. I'm sure there are players who hate it, but I haven't heard of rumblings of it trying to be blocked.

In fact, right at the end of that very article...

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Yeah, the ice chests with the tailgate food would need to be replenished a couple of times if you are going from SD to D.F., not to mention that parking at the stadium would be a real beotch...

piratas.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    "Jumping the shark" jumped the shark ages ago. Besides, it's a faulty cutesy reference because Happy Days sucked WAAAAAY before the shark episode.

21. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Oh, great....... another of the "I hated that way before other people" crowd. :laugh:

22. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The definition of "jumping the shark" is that moment a show has lost it. Just pointing out that some other thing might not be as cutesy as "jump the shark" but it would be more accurate. Great show the first few years, then it became the Fonzie show and started to suck, and that happened way before the shark thing.

23. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    Greatest episode EVER!!!!....Look at all of the boobs!!!!:cool: