1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Demands Photo Journalists Advertise Sponsors At Games

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://techdirt.com/articles/20070724/232718.shtml

2. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
  3. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

The money-grubbing by the NFL is making me ill. How long before the games are pay-per-view? Losers. :tdown:

P.S. Once again ChargerRay, that Roy Mustang gif-avatar is so kool.:tup: Not enough anime fans get into football, much less the Bolts!

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Yeah, grew up watching Anime. Full Metal Alchemist is one of my recent favorites.

5. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I think the news agencies and journalists should challenge some of these recent NFL "rules and restrictions" in court. If this newest one is true, it is way out of bounds.

6. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    The NFL has so much moneys....it would take deep wallets to fight them.

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    The NFL needs to get it in their head that they don't own everything. This is ridiculous, and yes Kimpossible, they went out of bounds on this one. If they don't pay the photojournalists, then they have no right to make them wear anything.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I disagree.

Journalists are not some non-profit charity that is doing good deeds for the public. They are employees or independent contractors for the mass media (a billion and billion and billion dollar industry).

The journalists use their product to sell newspapers, magazines and hits to internet web sites. They are getting the content from the NFL and for the most part, not paying a rights fee. Heck, they don't even purchase a ticket, instead getting a press pass.

I don't see any problems with limitations imposed on the press, nor do I see problems with requiring them to perform certain actions (wear advertising) if they want to get the free content to make money for their own business.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What's next, the guys in the broadcast booth and the pregame shows wearing product logo ties?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The guys in the booth pimp their own crappy network shows, and try to tell us to buy Bermashave and every other po-dunk crap that advertises on their network.

Having them push NFL sponsors would be the same as what they are already doing.

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    And the NFL isn't benefitting from the publicity? C'mon Shammy, don't make it seem like The League is performing a unilateral service.

There needs to be a level of impartiality between the media and the events they cover. It's a joke to make a photojournalist wear a vest advertising a league sponser. Like Kimmy says, this is out of bounds.

12. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    I think it's bad enough that coaches have to wear that Official NFL gear on the sidelines. Mad props to Nolan for wearing a suit and tie. I'd like it if they all wore suits, and maybe fedoras?

13. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Sure, the NFL benefits from the press, but the saturation level of media wanting credentials is at an all time high.

Simple economic principles of supply and demand.

Right now the media needs the NFL more than the NFL needs any one particular media outlet. It Goodell and company wants to make the journalists put on clown suits and sell Widgets, then I'm all for it.

If Kimmel or some other talking head doesn't like it then tell them to go cover the WNBA. They need the free press.

14. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Just because the league can get away with it, doesn't make it right Shammy.

Charging the press (and that's exactly what this is) to cover your sport is just wrong.

PS. The NFL is not going to stay on top forever. The NBA was more popular not too long ago. This is bad business in the long term.

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The media coverage of sports is evolving, and this is part of it. The media will either get with the program, or someone else will step up and dance the NFL's jig.

Heck, the NFL now even has their own cable/satellite channel. Next, they'll broadband stuff on the internet. If media outlets want to stay in that game, so they can also generate their own advertising streams (ie, make a profit) then they'll meet the new demand for access.

The NBA has never been more popular than the NFL.

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    There's gotta be a race card in here somewhere.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

Your right and it's NASCAR, they pimp more goods than Doans has little pills.

Pretty soon it will be the, San Diego, Home Depot, Altell, Sirus, Pepsi, Chevrolet Chargers. But it works.:bolt: :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  18. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Can we go with Coca~Cola? I like that better than Pepsi. :lol:

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

The patch on the players jersey will go to the highest bidder.:bolt: :lol:

20. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

Exactly and good post TK...The NFL is getting too greedy and too restrictive...it is bad business...and what would the NFL do if the media didn't show up? Or the fans?

21. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    No, media coverage isn't evolving. This is about the NFL flexing it's muscles because of its immense popularity. And the direction this is going will ultimately affect the quality of the product that is beamed into our living rooms. You might think it's okay for the NFL to do this, simply because they can. But the fans are going to suffer.

I have a problem with this general attitude, that the NFL thinks it can exist on its own island.

By broadcasting its own games, the NFL has chosen to compete with the very entities (the Networks) who are are responsible for the league's major source of revenue. And it is a substandard, watered-down telecast, with production crews and on-air personalities hired by the league. Like I said, if the NFL chooses to go further in this direction, the fans will suffer. That's why I don't like it.

22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: Anyone that attends a BoltTalk tailgater MUST wear a BoltTalk t-shirt for not only the tailgater, but for the entire football game. Carne Asada restrictions will be imposed on those that do not comply.

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    PS - The post above is just a joke.

24. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    They ARE sweet shirts though.

[​IMG]

:icon_smile:

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That's nonsensical.

Michael Silver is leaving sports journalism icon Sports Illustrated for Yahoo.com.

Alex Marvez, an NFL writer from the Sun Sentinel, has left the newspaper to join Fox Sports.com.

The media coverage in sports and hard news is definately evolving. I don't buy a daily newspaper anymore, as I did from every day since the day I left for college until just a few years ago. I read everything on the internet.

The internet can collect all kinds of info on users, and hit them up with a smorgasboard of advertising streams. A daily newspaper, or nightly telecast (even on cable) was not interactive, or instantaneous in advertising or purchasing ability.

We've got satellite radio. Dozens of sports channels on cable and dish satellite. Internet websites. All those are newer mediums for creating ad streams, and all are helping enrich the major journalism outlets even MORE than the NFL is being enriched.

The media is primarily fueled by capitalism. Period. The things they cover are just products to sell to a consuming public. If a strong producer of the product wants more $$$ to have access to that product, then too damn bad for the media.

BTW: I'm not thrilled with the NFL Network's production or personnel, but it's still better than the horrible job we've seen from CBS. I'd like to see all the game broadcast networks ramp up their quality a few notches.

26. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I want a Bolttalk t-shirt? :icon_evil: :lol: :tounge: :icon_tease:

I will not be denied my Carne of the gods. :icon_evil: :lol: :tounge: :icon_tease:

27. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I worded my take wrong, Shammy. Yes it IS evolving, but that isn't the issue.

Regardless of who is doing the reporting, and the technology used to do so, the NFL is going too far with this. Economics is already reflected in the astronomical rights fees the networks are willing to pay to televise NFL games, as well as the high cost of season tickets, luxury boxes, even single game tickets.

I don't think telling jounalists what to wear has anything to do with capitalism. It's about flexing muscles.

28. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    But,

This is directed at the photo journalists. Are they paying rights fees, like the networks? They photogs, whether independent or an employee of a media outlet, are still making money on the product (the content of the pictures taken) which is owned and licensed by the NFL.

The TV networks have to pay for access and broadcasting rights. Why shouldn't the still photographers that sell licensed content have to do the same?

The "lazy" media outlets will purchase those pics from the AP, but there is still a cash flow for the content. I see no reason why the NFL would not tap into that market, whether it be by requiring rights fees from photogs, or making them into sideline billboards.

This really is a dumb arguement, because basically we're hashing out which billion dollar industry (media or NFL) gets to keep a few thousand bucks from the other .... :lol: