1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL Draft Countdown reviews the Chargers Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, May 20, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Overall, while I don't agree with everything, I think they make some good points. What's your take on their review of the Chargers Draft?

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    Cason will pay dividends.

I think he is dead wrong about Hester when he says "...but the bottom line is he lacks the speed and quickness to play running back in the pros..".

The was not **** in the way of OL/DL available when they picked, so for him to say we didn't address it, shows he was not paying much attention to the draft. Kind of cracks me up as he is a top draft site.

We would all have like them to pick up a good OL/DL prospect, but all those available at the time of our picks would have been a serious reach.

3. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    If you consider Chris Chambers as part of this draft for the Chargers (which he IS), the Bolts' grade goes from a C- to a B instantly. Bump it up to a B+ when you factor in that the team's original #3 went toward acquiring Weddle, who's now a starter with great character and upside. :tup:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    All valid points.

Cason will get playing time at the nickel. Once he learns our system, he'll be playing centerfield like Willie Mays.

Hester, I believe, has the same "it" as Weddle & will prove to be a solid contributor - a Mike Alstott type. There's a coupla Cajun fellas on here who could tell you a lot more about Hester than me, but they're high on him.

And true - not really much left at OL/DL considering how scarce our picks were this year.

That is seldom factored in many places except Charger forums, it seems. I agree with you, Rainman - those 2 guys bump our grade up significantly.

Cason will contribute almost immediately, barring injury. HE's a smart kid - he'll grasp our defense quickly.

Hester will play. Sproles can't do it all. :lol: :icon_banana: And he just may surprise a few unsuspecting LBs & DBs with his receiving skills. LT may not get all of the screens, swing passes, etc.

As for the rest - line up & compete, boys. Everybody can't be a San Diego Charger. :bolt:

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    All valid points.

Cason will get playing time at the nickel. Once he learns our system, he'll be playing centerfield like Willie Mays.

Hester, I believe, has the same "it" as Weddle & will prove to be a solid contributor - a Mike Alstott type. There's a coupla Cajun fellas on here who could tell you a lot more about Hester than me, but they're high on him.

And true - not really much left at OL/DL considering how scarce our picks were this year.

That is seldom factored in many places except Charger forums, it seems. I agree with you, Rainman - those 2 guys bump our grade up significantly.

Cason will contribute almost immediately, barring injury. He's a smart kid - he'll grasp our defense quickly.

Hester will play. Sproles can't do it all. :lol: :icon_banana: And he just may surprise a few unsuspecting LBs & DBs with his receiving skills. LT may not get all of the screens, swing passes, etc.

As for the rest - line up & compete, boys. Everybody can't be a San Diego Charger. :bolt:

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,170
    I just dont put much stock in draft reviws any more. I have seen too many A players rde the pine then fade.

The big names dont always give big results. The reviews are based on big names.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Aw - you're just sour 'cuz your mock draft sucked!! :icon_eek: :lol: :icon_tease:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,170
    I dont do mock drafts. Wouldnt know a good pick from a tooth pick...:yes:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    At least you admit it. :yes:

I'm still in denial. :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    I factor in the #2 for Chambers since he was not part of a draft, but Weddle I tend to leave out of 2008 factors since he was part of the 2007 draft and elevates that draft grade.

I still figure it will be a B+ in the end.

C- does not accurately reflect the impact the players will have on this team.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ColeTurner

ColeTurner BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0

Cason will contribute almost immediately, barring injury. He's a smart kid - he'll grasp our defense quickly.

Hester will play. Sproles can't do it all. And he just may surprise a few unsuspecting LBs & DBs with his receiving skills. LT may not get all of the screens, swing passes, etc.

As for the rest - line up & compete, boys. Everybody can't be a San Diego Charger.
    Paper writers

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I agree with the grade until Cason proves anything.

Cason - TBD
    Chambers- Solid 1yr rental who dissapeared in big situations.
    Hester - Bust
    Thomas - Gone
    Tribble - Gone
    Clark - Practice squad

So what did we get? 1 full time bench warmer, 2 released, 2 backups both of whome were beat out by UDFA's (Tolbert, Gregory), and NO starters.

And before you argue that Chambers counts in this class remember that Hester cost us a future 2nd round pick as well.