1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Europe kaput

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    NFL Europe is officially dead.

NFL Europa to cease operations - NFL.com

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    did anyone ever play in the NFL after doing a stint over there?

:icon_shrug:

4. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    um...kurt warner

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    What's next....Euro-Disney?

6. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Adam Vinatieri, Joe Andruzzi, Damon Huard, Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna, Jay Fiedler, LaRoi Glover, Jake Delhomme

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am wondering where all the players that were in the NFLE league will end up going?:icon_shrug::icon_huh:

That is a lot of potential out there.:icon_eek:

To find those Kurt Warner types.

8. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Jack in the Box

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, that 2 tacos for 99 cents deal is pretty good. :icon_eek:

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Please I will take a 4 Cheeseburgers large fry and Coke.:icon_tease::lol:

• Like Like x 1
  11. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
  12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Yeah it's sad that it has finished.. It was always going to be difficult to survive in such a small physical market (only 2 countries had teams at the end). I'm amazed it lasted so long mind you, esp after the team in London ceased to exist. Just shows you, I don't believe there is a real market for football in Europe.

The one/maybe 2 regular season games coming from the NFL per year will be popular alright but thats about it. The rest of the time we will have to be happy with Sky Sports coverage and the (very) occasional trip to the US to see a game live.

Thanks to the poster above who listed some of those players that came thru NFLE to the NFL, amazing so many good ones who were missed out on by those many many scouts.

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Actually, NFLE as a developmental league was not very successful. That is mainly because scouting is much more thorough these days; every team has a long list of undrafted guys they go after, very few players will "fall through the cracks".

Additionally, working out at the team's facility during the offseason has become the norm. Team's feel they can do a better job of developing a young player by working with him directly, as opposed to sending him to NFLE, to get game experience against players with sub-par talent.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

wow, that's more than I thought.

:tup:

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well, the quality of the AFL should improve!!!

:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think the door just opened a bit wider for the new USFL? league. :bolt2:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Maybe ..... or maybe the NFL is considering starting their own developmental league in the US in medium sized cities?

pft.com - rumormill - has suggested that, but I'm not sure I buy into all they are pushing.

I don't think the NFL would allocate its practice squad to the developmental league. Those 8 guys are essential for weekly practice. They are basically the scout team when installing the game plan. Also, those 8 bodies serve to fill out an 11 on 11 drill if a team is holding a few injured players out of practice during the week. Coaches have gotten used to having those players for practice.

The practice squad guys also provide an instant addition for the roster if a player goes on IR. They already will know the playbook and the coaches will be familiar with their practice habits. Signing a player off the street, or if this new developmental league starts, will require at least a few weeks for the player to get up to a basic level understanding of the offense/defense scheme and plays.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No way would I, if an owner, risk my practise squad people in a minor league schedule. This ain't baseball where severe injuries aren't that common. Practise squads are for developing players to learn and fit into the team's system. Why would I want my guys to be taught a different system and then play in that system during my season? I'd have to unschool him before I actually got him ready to play for my team. The only way I would even think about this is if I wholly owned the minor league team, so I could dictate the offensive and defensive systems and had the freedom to move the players back and forth between teams a few times without exposure to wavers like they do in baseball. Since there isn't enough market room for another 32 teams, I don't see how this would work. The only other way would be a minor league system in which players cut by teams went into the league and became available league wide in a supplemental draft in the spring, with the team owning the rights to a few players to reserve for themselves for recall without draft exposure. All the minor league players could be draft eligible if you removed the necessity to clear wavers for your practise squad. The more systematic way of playing football makes toing and froing like baseball's hard to manage. It'd be like shifting snare players between different drumlines. Basketball is also flexible enought for movement back and forth between teams, but guys still have more to adapt to with the coaches and other players on the court than they do on the diamond.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    An Arby's sandwich sounds better

OR...................

How about a Steak with Shrimp skewered and grilled with a butter and garlic sauce, a Baked potatoe with everything, and a nice cold beer.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Now you are showing that AGE.... AFL? :lol:

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    memories

Triple AAA Football - the Oakland Raiders

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would not discount the idea so readily.

The practice squad can always be increased in size which effectively deepens the talent pool along with the NFL Europe scrubs.

As an owner, if one could have access to grooming talent seems to be a no-brainer.

This is about marketing a product.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Can't say I'm surprised.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw

Bills | Peterson injured in NFLE
    Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:40:42 -0700

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills WR Daunta Peterson (knee) suffered a knee injury in the Rhein Fire's last game of the NFL Europa season.

Bills | Denney tore ACL in NFLE
    Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:40:21 -0700

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills WR Chris Denney (knee) tore an ACL in his knee during NFL Europa training camp. Denney will not be able to play in the 2007 season.

...........Looks folks, the way I read this (and this is not part of el linky) is that Ralph Wilson got revenge before he croaked. He is one of the only owners who is claiming to be getting sodomized by Gene Upshaw and Goodell's henchmen not to mention the last CBA agreement in which he voted against.

Watch as this story unfolds from the dungeons and bowels of my mind. :icon_eek: :yes:

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

I think there is room for an upstart league that is totally independent of the NFL, in fact there should be one. Most of the college ball players don't have many options after their school career is over, unless they did earn a degree worth the paper is printed on.

I don't think it would be a very sound business plan to try and go head to head with the monster (NFL) but they could draw in non NFL cities, put a few guys to work and make a little money.

Just as NASCAR rules racing in this country (second most watched sport) One can go to a local track in just about any city USA on a Friday or Saturday night and watch a race. It's not big money when compared to NASCAR but they draw and the track owners do make a profit.

Something above the college level and below the NFL would be fine. If it grows from there, well then the NFL would have that to worry about.

26. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    i am really going to miss having the guys over for beer and pizza watching pre aired nfle games with a 3am kickoff.

27. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    yeah there is

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I suppose you could pool the practise squads into some minor league teams, but I would demand open access to the players I had the rights to. The problem for me is, if your players aren't practising with your team and against NFL quality talent, how do you get them in playing form? They won't know the playbook, they won't know the nomenclature and they still won't have experience with the NFL pace of things. In the current system, the practise squad guys are just that, they're an integrated part of the team. In baseball, a good shortstop is a good shortstop. In hoops, a good paint man is a good paint man. They go to a team, the shortstop just needs a uniform, the paint man just has to adjust to new guys. In football, everyone has to be on the same page right away. There's a whole system to not only absorb, but execute without screwing up or taking time to think instead of reacting. I can't get around the uptake of new players out of the minors onto an NFL roster, especially if they have to play. A separate league with a separate supplemental draft of cut players, while preserving the practise squads could work. The NFL could draft these guys from the minors in another supplemental after the college draft. Better yet, they could become part of the free agent pool post draft, but I would want to maintain supervision of my practise squad. I suppose you COULD increase the size of the practise squad, with some staying with the team and the reaminder in the minors, that way you could acclimate the guys from the minors to the team behind the guys who were activated.