1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL exploring making 17th game abroad game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, May 10, 2007.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18593796/

Click on link for complete article.

This seems to be a good way to do it, as each team still has their full complement of home games. The 17th game would essentially count as an "away" game for both teams. 9 away games, 8 home games.

2. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    i love the idea of another regular season game.

but my concern is the travelling, fatigue, jet-lag, etc that'll occur. giving teams only 1 week to prepare for the game that's going to be played on another continent is :unsure: ... the nfl needs to really look into it.

3. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    If the y do..make it in the UK:abq1: :abq2:

4. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    With 32 teams, meaning possibly 16 games abroad, I figure Canada, Mexico, England, and Germany would each get about 4 games.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The idea of a 17th game is horrible. :tdown:

Why?

We went through this once before going from 12 games to 16 games. All the football records meant **** after we added extra games. Comparing the eras was maddening. Now dudes get an extra game to get another record they may not have had given a 16 game season. No way man !!!! :tdown:

The idea of overseas games is great. :tup:

If this means we lose a home or away game, oh well.

Bolt fans across the pond deserve a crack a watching their team LIVE and doing up their own tailgaters. :icon_toast:

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't like this idea at all. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I vote to keep all regular season games in the U.S.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I love it. 4 preseason games are too much. Most teams already know who is going to make the roster after two preseason games anyway. But the owners want a game to fill in the preseason slot, so they can still make money.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The NFL should play a preseason game abroad and leave the regular season games the fuc alone.

I would not mind losing a pre-season game because they are actually pretty boring watching the scrubs plus it saves us parking, gameday fees etc etc etc.....

The above now would be good marketing for the NFL. I suspect they would catch far less flak from the fans versus dicking the regular season.

9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I think that losing a home game is way too steep of a price to pay for global expansion of the sport.

:no:

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    No way the owners are going to vote on that. They won't take away any preseason games, unless they replace them with some other game.

It would cut into their cash flow otherwise. Turning one preseason game into a regular season, keeps the cash flow consistent.

Remember, the owners won't vote on anything that brings in less money to them. Cutting the total number of games does that. Four preseason + 16 regular or 3 preseason + 17 regular keeps the same number of games.

It's time to catch up to the 21st Century.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If it is pre-season I disagree. If it is regular season, then I would agree with the exception of maybe one team and one game during the regular season played abroad. That is not too big a sacrifice to see the world subsidize my seats. I however doubt the subsidy would lower my costs.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Is there a stadium in Cabo or Puerta Vallarta? :icon_huh:

If so I'm all for it. :)

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If a team plays a game abroad during the pre-season, how does this affect a teams cash flow ? The teams still get gate and parking and royalties up the wazoo. I am not saying cut the pre-season down to 3 games either and compensate with another regular season game. That is whacked.

Why not add 4 more games instead of one ? At least we would be consistent in going from 12 to 16 to 20 games. Comparisons of the eras would be done easier because the stats can be interpolated consistently from era to era.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The games in Mexico would likely be played in Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, that big 114,000 seat stadium that the El Tris play futbol in. Just like when the 49ers and Cards played two years ago.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Mexico City is a shithole.

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    But it houses the only arena in Mexico large enough for the NFL to want to play in.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I can see some real **** scenarios that can screw teams. Say we have to play the Dolphins in Miami, then the next week play NE in London - while the Pats are coming off a bye week. NE has just one 5 hour flight, while SD has 4 major flights within a week.

What about divisional games? Adding an extra game to have the schedule become 17 games sounds good, but if we play at Denver, then have to play the Donks as our international game, then we lose out on having a true home field advantage for a crutial divisional matchup.

Just because the owners can square away the economics of the deal doesn't mean that it will be fair to every team from a competitive advantage standpoint.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    In my opinion there will never be a market for 16 games overseas in 1 year. The 1 maybe 2 at a push 3 games a year abroad will keep the thing ticking over. The only markets who can sustain it are UK and Mexico, maybe Canada, maybe Germany after that nada.

The games abroad need to be regular season too. Most everybody outside the USA knows the preseason games are what they are, meaningless money making junkets for the owners where all you get are 3rd stringers instead of the stars. There used be a preseason game in London every year way back and it died a death. I even attended one God help me.

NFL Europa is looking after the competitive meaningful game aspect very well now even if the players are just below NFL level and it is very concentrated in terms of market.

As for getting rid of 1 preseason game and adding an additional regular season game, I'm all for it. As someone has already pointed out the owners still want their 20 games so it's not like we can have 3 preseason and 16 regular.

:icon_toast:

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

Yeah. They're still at the preliminary talk stages. The article went on saying that each team will still have 8 real home games. I'm sure that divisional matchups will be ruled out for abroad games as well, and they'll make it as even as possible in terms of preparation time for both teams.

I see the 17th game abroad as being a NFC vs AFC matchup so it has as little impact on the playoff seeding scenario as possible.

20. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Which is exactly what they are considering. Making the abroad games limited to Canada, Mexico, UK, and Germany.

21. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    the thing is..people over here won't buy tickets for pre-season games after this years regular season game

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Yeah.. but my point is you will do well to fill 1/2 stadia a year in each of these countries, no way will you have the required interest for 4 in each country.

23. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    you'd be able to in the UK but i dunno about mainland Europe..they're a soccer continent

24. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I was not impressed with the current plan of losing home games and shipping them out and all the hassle. This at least has some sort of a structure and planning around it instead of "Hey, let's play a game out here for shits and giggles lolzorz!!!11" 17 games, one abroad, that's cool. I can live with that. Plus, I'll totally trade a worthless preseason scrimmage for a real game any time.

25. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    :tup: :tup:

26. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think Germany will do well. They have the NFLE presence, plus American military personnel to draw from for filling a stadium. Add in a few thousand tourists from each team that will make the journey, and a game in Berlin should fill out a stadium.

I'm still not for this idea though .....

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Onea the great sin cities in the whole world, trailing only Bangkok and Taipei...well, and La Vernia!! :icon_eek: