1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Fans Were Cheated

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Just my own humble opinion but in my eyes there were two non-calls and one play that should have been reviewed to treat us to a better ending in this fantastically entertaining Super Bowl.

(1) Santonio Holmes should have been penalized under NFL rules for his shaking the powder out of the ball celebration. End result, a non-call that should have given 15 more yards for Arizona to start from.

(2) The called fumble by Warner should have been at least reviewed. To me his arm was going forward and it was his motion that caused the ball to go forward. End Result, game over.

(3) On the fumble call on Warner, one of the Pittsburgh LBs took his helmet off. Another non-call on what should have been another 15 yards. No big deal since they called a fumble but had it been reversed...and had the other 15 yarder been called against Holmes, the Cards could have had one shot from maybe the Pit 15-20 yard line. End result, NFL fans were cheated from the ending they deserved. With the flag frenzy and booth reviews that were taking place in this Super Bowl, why stop and ignore all this at the end.

With the Fitzgerald magic working...it should have been one helluva a last play :tup:

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think that Warner's arm was going forward .. Should of at the very least been reviewed.

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I agree wit chu.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If that were our Bolt's winning that game last night, y'all would be happy as hell. If it were Merriman instead of Harrison, I'm sure not much you be said at the "win at all cost" aspect of the Super Bowl.

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Don't forget the illegal block in the back on the 100 yard return.

6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think there were some bad calls and also some blind stinkin luck that the Steelers got (that i would've killed for for the Chargers) but this game wasn't fixed or whatnot. The steelers just made a few plays and caught a fair amount of breaks

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

AZ looked just like the Bolts, all the way to the stupid azz calls

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

9. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I saw it... oh well that the way it go's

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Agree, our team play's like ***** cats. You don't win Super Bowls that way.

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Its looked that way to me... hell I don't know...

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    It looked like his arm was going forward to me to...

Lets ask Conc he's knows everything... :lol:

:icon_tease:

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    (1) Tickey Tack.
    (2) The play was reviewed. The play stands.
    (3) Grasping at straws.

I thought is was a GREAT GAME! I didn't feel cheated in any way. :yes:

14. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I just watched the breakdown of the play on NFLN, I didn't see it. :icon_shrug:

15. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    In order:

1) By rule, should have been called. Steelers then have to kick from the 15, possibly changing field position;

2) Zebras missed that one and cyclops in the booth missed it too. Definitely looked like the ball was in Warner's hand through the forward motion;

3) Actually, that was called, but it was post-possession change. However, if the play were reversed and the Cards keep the ball, then they have the ball on the 30 with about 7 seconds left. Time for a quick out and an end zone shot, and with Fitzgerald's hands we might have had a finish for the ages.

Unfortunately, we will never know... :no:

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I thought the officiating was pretty piss poor. But the fact that they didn't review the Warner fumble is just absolutely inexcusable. It makes no sense. Whether it would have been overturned or not, you have to, at the very least, go through the motions of reviewing that play since it was a close call and it decided the SB. For the record, I too thought it was an incomplete pass.

As for the fans being cheated, I don't agree. Despite the officials, that was a great freaking game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree, GREAT game,although I believe the NFL favored the Steelers to win and there in lies the outcome IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    As long as the Cardinals don't have a ring before the Chargers do... I'm fine with all of the calls that resulted in this outcome. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  19. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    :tup::tup:

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The refs dont make the cahll for review, the ones in upper box does. Though the refs hirried the ball to the LOS and spotted it.

Whisenhunt should have called a TO and asked why there was no review.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the refs were not doing a good job in this game. They called a few correctly. But they sure missed alot. This happens everytime the stealers or colts or pats play. Seems some refs are richer after the game from donations.

22. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Funny thread....all thoughts are predicated on the team you wanted to win.

I'm happy as hell with the outcome...cool game. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  23. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Me too! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  24. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    I would be happy if the refs plyed fair and then i would be satis fied with he outcome. BESIDE THAT IT WAS A GREAT GAME.

25. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I watched the replays...they looked like good calls to me.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I saw no problem with the celebration at all. Though I agree that the fumble should have been reviewed. Not to mention, Harrison should have been ejected.

27. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Buck I like you,respect you and you seems like a decent Pat fan (I lived in Mass for 13 years). I like your input on posts but the there were many bad calls many against the Cards they oposite were not called on the Steelers. I was not the only one that saw them.

28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    It wasn't so much that the calls on the Cards were all bad imo [just a couple] but that they weren't calling the Steelers for the same things. I'd love it if they kept the yellow hankies in their pants more often and just let everyone play. But if they're going to toss them at least call both teams for their penalties. :icon_shrug:

I don't think the fans were cheated - we got to see a GREAT football game. Doesn't make sloppy officiating any less annoying tho :tdown:

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    After watching the final fumble a few times again today I would say that both sides had an argument and just like we're always told there probably wasn't irrefutable evidence that it was not originally called correctly. Harrison deserved an ejection but I think his DPOY title saved him. Other than that great game. The Cardinals just blew it in the secondary- God, don't we know how that feels...

30. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    This game made me extremely happy and excited...unfortunately it then made me very, very sad. I hate the Steelers and Arizona is one of my favorite teams. There were a lot of bullshit calls against AZ and that "fumble" should have definitely been reviewed. He had the ball in his hand when it was going forward, that's a forward pass. With the 15 extra yards from the Harrison penalty and AZ's receivers, who knows, but now we never will. I can't believe they didn't even take the time for a review on the play that ended the Super Bowl, that's just ridiculous, if Pittsburgh would've been the ones throwing it there definitely would've been a review and Madden and Michael's suddenly would've realize "hey, that wasn't a fumble". It was a sad ending to a miraculous season, hopefully they can keep going up.

That's two plays the refs have give the Steelers this season that have won games, the Baltimore touchdown where it didn't break the plane as well as this. And don't even get me started on that piece of **** James Harrison.