1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL finally waking up to the fans' discontent?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 25, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Roger Goodell: Lockout has had an impact on our fans already
    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 25, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT

When fans booed NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at the draft, he heard them loud and clear.

Goodell said Wednesday at the conclusion of the NFL spring meeting that he realizes fans are unhappy about the lockout and already losing interest in America’s most popular sport.

“I think it’s clearly had an impact on our fans already. You see that in the various metrics we have, whether it’s ratings or traffic on NFL.com — we see that,” Goodell said. “I think you all are aware that our ratings were down in the draft, for example.”

Even if there weren’t a lockout, Goodell said, the struggling American economy would make it tough for fans to justify spending money on football tickets. But he said he thinks the lockout is making it easier for fans to choose not to buy tickets.

“I don’t think you can ever underestimate that fans are going through difficult challenges just in the general economy here,” he said. “That’s something they have to consider when they’re putting down money for a season ticket or a club seat or anything else.”

Although Goodell expressed sympathy for fans who are hurting in the economy, he sounded less sympathetic toward team employees who have had their pay cut during the lockout.

“They all understand the circumstances we’re going through,” Goodell said of team employees. “This is a collective sacrifice. We go through a difficult time, we go through it together. We’re all going to feel that impact.”

The Raiders had a particularly unusual way of dealing with the lockout, telling all club employees — including the coaching staff — that while there’s no football going on, they’re responsible for helping to sell tickets. Goodell said he likes that approach.

“I thought it was innovative. I thought it was very creative,” Goodell said. “My hat’s off to the Raiders. I thought it was very creative.”

Goodell acknowledged that if the lockout doesn’t end relatively soon, the league is going to have to start canceling preseason games.

“We don’t have a date, but obviously that time is coming,” Goodell said. “We canceled our rookie symposium, so we’re getting close enough where those will have to be considerations. Obviously we would prefer to get a negotiated agreement so we don’t have to make those decisions.”

Still, as he stood in Indianapolis, the site of next year’s Super Bowl, Goodell said the locals should feel confident that the game will, in fact, be played.

“It’s our intention to be here and play a full season,” Goodell said. “We look forward to concluding the 2011 season here in Indianapolis.”

2. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    What's the point of "winning the war" with the players, if they lose the fans in the process? Both sides need to stop navel gazing and realize that they have much more to lose, than to gain, by delay.

3. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Was that Goodell's "duh" moment for today?

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Well, he is the son of a former US Senator...... #imjustsaying ;)

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Didn't realize that. It does explain a lot. hahaha

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I think the fan discontent RG thinks hes talkin about is the 18 game schedule supporters and vehement advocators.

Goodell still says fans want 18 games
    Posted on: May 27, 2011 9:38 am
    Edited on: May 27, 2011 10:41 am
    Goodell still says fans want 18 games - CBSSports.com

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    As if we needed further proof that Roger is a tone-dead nitwit. I haven't seen a single poll where the majority of the fans is calling for an 18 game regular season. Once again, Goodell is pushing the company line, and acting like everyone is in agreement, when they're not.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    yea RGs new nick to me is Scumbag. or the Douche. Its a toss up.

10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Have you ever negotiated anything? Sometimes you ask for sh_t you don't even want, but know that you can give in on that thing later to get something you do want. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case with the 18-game season.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    I seriously doubt it........ they wouldn't keep harping on it, if they weren't intent on implementing it at some point. The 18 game season isn't just a ruse that they intend to drop at the bargaining table. They know they might not get it right away, but they want it to be phased in within a few years. Their concession will be that it won't go into effect immediately.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It's the owners league and if they say play 18 games and you'll play em naked then that's what you'll have to do. The players are contracted employees they have to go by the rules.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    LOL......... You obviously have never read the CBA before. ;)

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Im not opposed to the forceing of 18 games, or if say the game was founded a 18 game season with 32 teams leauge. But it wasnt and imo the expansion of the # of teams is ample to support even worldwide support. And I dont like any kind of dilluting down of of the original product of football beyond the forward pass. It happens and alot of it has happend because one side of the O or D gets an advantage so the 5 yd contact rule is invented.

In short 16 game reg season is perfect. 32 teams is perfect. 12 Playoff teams 4 being WCs is perfect. Not too much else about the NFL to date can you stick the perfect moniker.

A few ideas come to mind to reverse my thinking on a 18 game reg season. If we can get biomechanical organs/limbs on the fast track and super cheap to be like GRILLS today, then hell yea put those robot jocks to work all year round!! QB vision problems?? Lasic?? whats that?? What you need my boy is these implant super eyes, with your choice of 256 known color varriants.

Also another BETTER idea than cutting the pseason to make room for more reg season games... Granted it wont make the same revenue as 16 games played x2 for a 2 week span, but lets jus have a probowl postseason!! TOP 2 NFC and AFC voted players divy up into 4 squads and play some form of elimination football on the way to the ACTUAL PRObowl. OO even better!!! Coaches/mediots top team choices vs the FANS.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Most assuredly, you have no concept of why there will be no football in 11, as a CBA does not exist to bring forth a new season. It's that simple.

16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    wow every single post must be approved by you

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    When did I say the CBA was currently in effect?

;)

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Apparently, you missed the fact that the NFL has been operating under a shared revenue system....... both the owners sharing with each other, and with the players. Please explain to me how the NFL system in anyway resembles the "real world" labor situation?

I'm dying to hear your explanation. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    From the day he was hired, hes done nothing but prove that hes the worst Commish in all of sports, and considering how david stern fixes NBA games, thats saying something

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and once again why must every post be approved by you? Are you the new moderator around here.

This site used too be nice, a place where one could come and speak thier mind. A place where one could talk Chargers football. And everyone respected the other persons opinion.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Huh?.......... you lost me. A nice place?...... you obviously missed Trumpet Man's over the top attack of LBC a short while ago.

Either a something is factual, or it is not. Not everything is a matter of "opinion".

I'm not sure what your problem is with someone such as myself questioning a statement made on this forum. That's what people do here, discuss football, and all that it entails. If someone posts something that isn't accurate, I don't see why it bothers you if I challenge that statement.

I've certainly had to defend my comments that I've posted here..... why should it be different for anyone else?

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Back to the topic.

I've said this many times before

The NFL & its owners do not care one shiits damn about Joe Q fan. All they care about is corporate sponsors and tv revenue. The only way they fail is if nfl fans in mass walk away, and that is never going to happen

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    If they lose enough season ticket holders, it will put a dent in their wallet. I have no idea how many people have opted out this year (due to the lockout mess), but for the smaller market teams, it could hurt their bottom line. Luckily for them, the NFL owners share their revenue.

24. wootwoot

wootwoot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I definitely agree time to wake up!

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Do you really think the NFL cares about us?

Do you really think that the NFL is about the fan? The NFL is all about Corporate America. How many fans can afford to go to a Super Bowl game? Why are the parking lots closed up and tents put up for corporate parties at each Super Bowl site? That should tell you something right there. So what if some teams lose some season ticket holders, the NFL does not lose anything. The only way you are going to hurt the NFL is to not watch any Football on TV. If the ratings go down then Television will not give them the big bucks to broadcast games. That’s how you hurt them. Do not watch football, period.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Corporate America, who in general cares little to nothing about workers other than as a means to an end - their pocketbook continuing to fatten up far beyond what is conscionable.

Just a microcosm of the greed running rampant in the world today. We as fans may be caught up in this greed in many ways but, as it pertains to the NFL, we have a choice. No NFL football may well cost some folks, but I for one certainly won't lose my home or miss a meal because of any of this BS.

27. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

this times all of my vcash!!!

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

the NFL could careless if John Q Public decided not to be a season ticket holder anymore. So do you think the NFL would hold a Owners meeting about Mr John Q Public not being a season ticket holder. Nope. Goodbye!

NOW.....

If Anheuser-Busch or General Motors pulled the plug on the NFL, do you think they would have owners meeting about them going, and how they are going to lose MIllions of $$$$$$$$$$. You betcha they will.

who is more important

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Wouldn't that depend on how many John Q. Publics we're talking about?

If enough season ticket holders decide not to renew this year, the owners will feel it in their bottom line. If the fans as pissed off enough not to buy NFL merchandise, it will hurt. TV revenues are a big chunk of money, but they certainly don't account for everything.

30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    according to wiki

that's a lotta cheese

and that doesn't count Sunday ticket