1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Football is back

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The HOF Game just started on the NFL Network.

Saints moving down the field.

I am always excited for the start of pre-season the first week, then want it gone the last 3...

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Wow a Cardinal (Lenan) their starting LB hurt on the last drive of that play.

3. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Man it is good to be watching football again! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Kevin Kolb, 1 for 1 passing to the wrong team...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He is going to have a hard time hanging on to the starting spot like that...

Saints OL not looking too good.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Gonna be a long year for the Cards. Maybe in the Matt Barkley hunt.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Good night for Kevin Kolb so far.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    <SNORT!> :tup:

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Gotta love the Sproles hype. Another knock on Norvs ability to maximize the ability of the talent he has.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If you had LT and The Burner, how much would you've use Sproles?

While I give them credit for how they've used Sproles, the Saints don't have a RB group that compares to what the Chargers had during Sproles' time here. He also didn't do a lot with the opportunities had got his last two years in SD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I guess since it's the pre-season and they can't start padding Brees' stats yet, they didn't feel the need to throw from 1 yard line on his one drive.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    In 2010 we had RM (a rookie), Tolbert, and Sproles...and Sproles had the worst year of his career.

We could have found more use for him, instead he was saved for telegraphed 3rd and 18 draw plays and the occasional screen pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Well, a reasonable facsimile at least. :sleep:

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Aren't you forgetting about Tolbert? He had 182 carries in 2010. Add in 158 for Mathews, that didn't leave a lot of touches for Sproles. Should he have gotten more?....... maybe, but Tolbert was very productive, averaging over 12 yards per carry. Hard to argue with those numbers.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Sproles only got 86 carries last year with the Saints, and 93 for us in 2009....he doesn't need a gigantic work load, he needs to be used properly.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    And in 2010 he only had 50 carries, but averaged more yards per attempt (5.3 vs 3.7 in 2009)..... what does that say?

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It says nothing, which is exactly my point, Sproles is not a bulk carry guy. When he's been successfull its been spliting out wide and as the single back in spread. In 2010 we used him incorrectly, if you don't remember I would recommend NFL Game Rewind to re-watch some of those games.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The point being, that they were trying to figure out what Mathews could handle, and how to use Tolbert best as well. It was easier before, when LT was the established RB, and Sproles had a more defined role. The O-line had its issues also. While it's true Sproles could've been used better, the RB group was in transition.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

Dude no offense but all that just sounds like weak excuses to me, like a fan of a team just trying to defend a big mistake.

Sproles was a weapon, regardless of what you're trying to do with Tolbert or the rookie Mathews you have to carve a role out for a player as explosive as Sproles, and Norv failed to do that.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If you watched Sproles, you would've seen that he wasn't that explosive on the field those last two years. I saw plenty of plays where he had an opportunity to make something happen and he didn't. It was like watching LT with the Jets...... he looked slower and tentative. Sproles looks faster on carpet than he did here. That's not a matter of play calling...... sorry.

Mathews was drafted to be the feature back...... the Saints didn't have a guy like that. Apples and oranges.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    LOL I can go round for round with you all night, I think Norv is dog ****, you're an apologist for his failures...lets just agree to disagree.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If you think Norv is dog ****, then we'll never see eye to eye. The guy won Super Bowls as an OC. It's not a fluke that he's considered one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. He knows a damn sight more about football than you do.

What's funny is the arrogance of fans like you, who think you know better. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    He is a good OC, but he's never been a better than mediocre HC, 200 games into his career I think we should all realize that by now.

But if we win a playoff game this year that'll be a sweet plate of crow I'll devour before you even try to serve it.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    But you were talking about his ability as a OC, when you said he didn't know how to use Sproles. Isn't that true?

I also think people overlook the fact that Sproles is the perfect player for the carpet. I saw him look slower the last two years here. He even fell victim to the turf monster a few times. That doesn't happen to him indoors on carpet. Some of his biggest games for us were on carpet (i.e. Colts in the playoffs). With his short quick strides, his running style is ideal for artificial turf. Last year, he played the majority of his games indoors. With the Chargers, he played the majority outdoors. Every AFC West team plays outdoors on grass. And we all know grass gets torn up and gets wet. You just don't get the consistent traction on grass. Sproles went to the perfect team.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Didn't watch all of the game but if this was any indication, the Niners shouldn't expect much of a challenge outta the Cards. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    To be fair, that's exactly what you are doing as well.

27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    And what have we won with him as our head coach?

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    OMG I'm so incredibly bored of this! :sleep: Just because the douche is a good OC doesn't mean every move he's ever made is golden....IE: Our pathetic 2 minute drill that the team didn't seem prepared for. Or how we struggle moving back to the quick passing game when the Raiders blitz 7 guys. Norv has always loved a 1-back system often to his detriment.

Oh and BTW Sproles' big game against the Colts was IN OUR HOUSE, as at a pathetic 8-8 we won the division we got the wild card game at home.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ahhh the tried and true "What have we won with him" gambit. The one that dully argues that only winning championships matters, and the one that back handedly degrades the entire franchise within a short sentence saying "The Chargers have never won anything" (You see H8er, there has only been one Head Coach who could have been said to have "Won Anything" and that was before the Chargers were part of the NFL, so are you as most Raider fans now living looking only back, and unable to look forward? Enquiring minds want to know.) Which of course always leads to the rebuttal "Why are you still here if the The Charger have never won anything, H8er?"

That all said in "tongue and cheek" mode, feel free to think what ever you want. It is a new season and until we are eliminated I refuse to cry in my coffee because of the past.

30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    if the truth hurts then so be it!

And I am here because I was here in the 60's the 70's the 80's the 90's and I am still here, and I will be here as long as the Chargers call San Diego home.

And you wont cry in your coffee because you have accepted the fact this team is going no where. Myself I want a Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1