1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Hey, here's something I hate. An increased number of booth reviews in the 2011 season is going to lead to longer games, says the NFL's former vice president of officiating.

A new rule goes into effect this year stating that every scoring play that happens in the course of an NFL game will be automatically reviewed by the replay official. Here's an explanation of that process from Mike Pereira at FOXSports.com:

If an official rules a score (touchdown, field goal, safety or extra point) during a game, the replay official will automatically review the play. If there is any question as to whether the ruling is correct, they will buzz down to the referee and ask him to come to the monitor to review the play. If the replay official confirms the ruling is correct, they will buzz the referee indicating he is clear to let the scoring team attempt the extra point, or kick off if the scoring play was a field goal, safety or extra-point attempt. A coach will not be allowed to challenge the ruling of a score. The intent is to save the coach from having to challenge the ruling of a score and, thus, increase his chances of not running out of challenges or timeouts.

Overkill.

It's not necessarily that I'm anti-replay; if the right call can be made, then it should be. But in the quest to "get it right," it seems like the flow of the game is often completely discarded, and I'd argue that that's way more important to the NFL's viewing experience. And now we're building more stoppages into the game, right after its most exciting plays?

Unnecessary stoppages brutalize a game's watchability. It's like these "reality" shows, where they pound in unending pauses in an effort to manufacture artificial drama, but end up just being irritating as all hell. I don't know how anyone can stand that.

We should be looking at ways to shorten games, not make them longer. If a 1 p.m. game isn't going to end until 5, I want it to be because it went into overtime and gave us free football. It seems like we're getting to the point now that a game won't end on time (before the 4/4:15 games start) unless it happens to be contested by two teams that favor a ball-control offense.

And think about this, too: You know that super-annoying thing that networks do when, after a score, there's a commercial break, they come back for the kickoff, and then have another commercial break, and it seems like there's about a half hour between plays from scrimmage?

Throw a replay break into that, too. You'll see the same Coors Light commercial six times before anyone takes another snap.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    UNLIKE!

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    TV loves this one! How many more commercials can we throw at you, and during the Super Bowl at 4 Million for a 30 second spot, can you say CHA CHING! mean while the fans continue to sit in the stand staring at ....................

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,126
    I think that something like this will take the wind out of the fan's sails during the course of a game too, lessen their enthusiasm. Just an opinion.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,381
    I don't see it making that much of a difference. After a scoring play, the networks typically go to commercial anyway. It might extend the game somewhat, but as long as they get the plays right, fans shouldn't complain much.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I don't get why they can;t just have a designated official in a booth, that calls down to let everyone know what the correct call was. It would prevent extended delays in the game, and would ensure calls are correct. I just don't get why it has to be an official on the field doing the review

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    This is EXACTLY the thought I had after reading that article yesterday.
    I doubt it'll add much time at all.

Mountains out of molehills.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Yeah, the NFL needs more rules, hell, why stop here? They should have a review official to review the scoring review official just to make sure they get it right. The coin flip should also be reviewed to make certain that the kickoff possession is awarded to the proper team.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Frankly, if they let the cheerleaders go topless, more delays would be welcome.
    That's a win-win right there.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Did the owners get a bigger chunk of revenues from TV commercials too?

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Lets see they will only be reviewing a play that scores... so anything prior to the snap doesnt have to be reviewd. So the avg time a QB has to throw the ball or a RB has to break 10+ yards ends up being 4 seconds. 4 more seconds well say for after the ball is thrown/received/dropped/caught again. SO with a dedicated GUY sittin on a tv with his DTV remote in hand can rewind on the fly to the snap and watch the play again faster than the crown in the stands can finish the celebration cheers of the play.

So at most with even radio delays added in another 30-40 seconds, I cant see it doin more than adding 10 mins to a game. Which I agree the game is already REdikulusly too long to sit through. BUT maybe if the stadiums were faster on the Jumbotron replays fans could be watching the replay at the same time its being reviewed, but that isnt the case a feed to a guy on a recorder in the stadium would be able to confirm the play even with watching the replay a set standard amount like 3. Wouldnt surprise me if that is part of the rule wordage.

Also to think FGs need a review is laughable dont even think they are gonna watch those over unless its a boinker, which should be scrutinized closely so we dont have another one like recently.... I forget what teams. So all that needs to be looked over for a double check would be TDs and Safetys... well even 80% of safetys are a qb intent grounding from the goalzone or a ball carrier being tackled. Not very hard to confirm the scores on those plays.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    If they would turn around and remove the restrictions on TD celebrations while doing this, I'd consider it an equal trade-off. Easy way to kill that extra time... watching Mike Tolbert dance!

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    because how many times do the networks cut away from the game while the play is under review? Then what if they do find something wrong, do they will have to wait until the network comes out of commercial before they make the announcement.

14. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I see games go to commercial during a review all the time, and if they overrule during the commercial, the announcers just mention it when it comes back. Generally though, they'll run 15 second ads during reviews, so it's easier to cut back to the game in a timely fashion.

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Your idea is the Shiz and I wont consider it, I DEMAND that I get to see my TD celebrations *not so much 85s* Bring back the WORM!! Its not like the fans got enuff room to do it... ;/

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    LOL I just realized who is the tackler on LEGS in my avi pic.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    EDIT: holy crap im a hundred millionaire!! THX Leo!!

18. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    +1