1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL "investigating" Walsh.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Feb 15, 2008.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Another article out at ESPN.

It is a round-up of what happened at the meeting, and lists what issues Specter wants to pursue, and what he finds unacceptable about Goodell's responses.

Here's a gem, though, from the end:

Can you say "witness intimidation"? Good Lord, whatever that Walsh guy knows must be freaking horrible.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Goodell is like Arpil.

In like a lion, out like a lamb...

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I'm starting to think Goodell is in over his head.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Really? I think he just happens to be the guy who got stuck in the middle of something that is actually going to turn out to be nothing. And when I say that, I mean nothing is going to come of all this. If I was in Goodell's shoes I would have destroyed all those tapes too. Locking the tapes up would not actually secure them. Someone would figure out a way to get them onto Youtube or TMZ or any other video website out there. Imagine then how many different interpretations you would have of what is actually on the tapes.

I am thoroughly enjoying the backlash towards the Patriots, but I wouldn't want the league being brought to a standstill because those tapes got leaked to the general public. And that's exactly what would happen. There would be so much outrage by Pats haters and so much speculation by the government that coaches, players, executives, owners, would all be called into hearings... there would be no time for football.

I like Goodell. I like his decisiveness. He didn't lollygag around on BBs punishment. While we may not agree with the severity of it, I definitely liked his swiftness. And now he's got this crabby old coot, who has nothing better to do, brow beating him and trying to get him to cower at his feet. To me, Goodell appears to actually have a backbone. But Specter is trying to make it appear as if he's the one in control.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder if Farley also works for Bill Orally.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He is but I still say "he's better than Tagliabue!!!"

Wayyyyyyyy Better!!!

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Dude, that's crap. You don't destroy evidence because you can't secure it. You destroy evidence because you don't want the public to learn the truth. Goodell destroyed the tapes because he thought it was better for people to speculate about the integrity of the game being compromised instead of them learning from the tapes that the Pats have in fact been compromising the integrity of the game for years.

If Goodell wasn't trying to hide the truth, he could have written a report on the evidence collected and then destroyed the evidence. But he didn't want the truth to come out. He didn't want the league to go through the shitstorm that it is now going through.

Goodell tried to protect the image of the league by destroying evidence. It was a gutless thing to do, and now the NFL looks worse because of it. Had Goodell told the truth back in Septemeber, the light would have been shined on a corrupt team that circumvented the rules to gain an advantage. But by destroying the evidence, Goodell has made the whole league look corrupt. And that's not a better outcome.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Exactly!

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    His decisiveness is what I like. Perhaps his decision wasn't right, but I like that he made it quickly and didn't let it linger. He performed his investigation, he gathered the evidence, he interviewed the man responsible for violating the rules, he issued his punishment, and then he disposed of the tapes in question.

He destroyed the evidence because he didn't want the public to interpret what's on those tapes in a thousand different ways.

Hey, if this jack)ss Arlen Specter is able to push this thing to the point that more evidence is produced that shows conclusively that there's more to this thing than just "taping coaches signals" then I'll gladly reconsider my position on Goodell. But I really think this is all just a big waste of time and that nothing more will be found and Belichick & Co. will not receive any more punishment.

Specter just looks like a bitter old fart. That's how I see it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I don't really have anything to add I just wanted to try out my new avatar... oh and it would be awesome cap to their season if the big B got suspended for a year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Clowns are creepy, but that is a great avatar. :tup:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There is a huge difference between decisiveness, which implies a level of good judgment, and impulsiveness, which implies a lack of judgment. Goodell's decision to destroy the evidence was not a decisive move, it was an impulsive one, bred of panic that paralyzed his sense of judgment. Coming clean with this and punishing those who were guilty of trying to game the league, whether it figured in their success or not, would have reflected far better on the league than the rampant speculation going on now. What Goodell's stupid impulse has done is fuel the fires of conspiracy theories, given credence the same way the lost White House emails give credence to any charge leveled at the Bush Administration. There is more to Specter's interest here than mere aged bitterness. NFL teams are big business, integral parts of a city's economy, and Pennsylvania has one in each of its major cities. Grand standing? Probably, but the investigation isn't a pointless circus act.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    gonna be interesting. As it is now the nfl and goodell are trying to sweep it under the rug. The nfl is looking really bad in this.

Not that the nfl isn't made up of quite a few shysters and big time crooks that made a wad of money off of alot of little people. Maybe its thier time to get their just deserts. Wish the u.s. government and wall street would have some one be able to overlook their crookedness as well.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree!!! :tup:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Even at the risk of finding out that this is widespread, the NFL would look better than it's looking right now. What we have now is rampant speculation, rumor-mongering, conspiracy theories, and excuses. A thorough, objective investigation could have ended all of that. Now it looks like Goodell was covering, regardless of his intentions. This may not explode into something big, but it will leave a lingering foul taste in many fans eyes, warranted or not.