1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Lockout: What You Need To Know Before The Deadline

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    By Joel Thorman - Editor

The NFL and NFLPA are negotiating an agreement for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in order to avoid a lockout. The current CBA expires at 11:59 p.m. on March 3rd.

Mar 2, 2011 - We are only hours away from an NFL lockout at this point. At 11:59 p.m. on March 3rd, the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL owners and NFL Players Association will expire and football will officially stop.

The main man for the NFLPA is DeMaurice Smith, executive director, and for the league that's Commissioner Roger Goodell. Here are a few questions I've seen floating around.

When does the lockout start?

11:59 p.m. on March 3rd. On March 4th, we're in a lockout.

What's the lockout all about?

This could be a long answer but I'll shorten it -- money. The owners feel they need a bigger slice of the pie because the players got a great deal the last time around (2006) and the current model is not sustainable. The players have asked the owners to open the books but that hasn't (and likely won't) happen. Money, and how to distribute it, is the main issue but other issues include: 18-game schedule, benefits for retired players and health care.

How long will it last?

It depends. Optimistic views think the two sides still have a chance to extend the deadline and get something done in a few weeks. Unfortunately, that's almost an unrealistic optimistic view. It could go deep into the summer, ruining training camp, possibly messing up the preseason games and maybe even regular season games. Basically, we don't know how long it will last but many people think it rolls into the summer.

Are there any other options to a lockout?

Yes the union could decertify and sue the league on their anti-trust exemptions. Potentially, this would keep the argument in the courts as the game is continued to be played. The league could still impose a lockout, though. If this happens, we're getting into some major legalese on how to keep football going this year.

Are players paid during a lockout?

Nope. No one is paid. Players don't get salary checks until the season starts but early March is when free agency starts and that's usually when the big bonus money comes in. That won't be happening this year. Many coaches and team employees will also see their pay cut in the event of a lockout.

What about free agency?

No free agency with a lockout. Once the two sides sign an agreement, they'll evaluate having free agency. It's possible, though, if this lockout goes for a while, that there won't be free agency at all this year. Just to clarify -- until March 3rd, vested veterans without a team are free agents and eligible to sign with anyone. But the lack of a new CBA has caused some teams to avoid signing players at all right now.

Will the draft happen?

No matter what, the draft will happen on April 28.

So what do we do on March 4th?

My advice: Don't pick sides. Blame both the league and union for royally screwing the golden goose.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Some facts I have dug up on the situation in the event of a lockout...

Teams:
    *Can't sign any free agents (including their own)
    *Can't cut players
    *Coaches can have no football related contact with any player on their team
    Expect to see many assistant coaches placed on furlough, as well as office support personnel. Some coaches might see a significant cut in pay if there's a prolonged stoppage
    *Teams may change drafting strategies due to the shake up in free agency and the need to fill holes.

Players:
    *Will not receive any roster bonus money owed to them until a new CBA is reached
    *Can not use any medical facilities of their team to do any rehab that they might do
    *Will not have access to team doctors for medical checkups
    *Will not have their health care covered by the team and will have to use COBRA (one player had his wife induced this week so that his team would cover the cost of labor)
    *They will be able to use the team's facilities for working out, but can not have a regimen put together by the team strength and condition coaches.

Rookies:
    *The draft will take place as scheduled. First round on April 28, 2nd and 3rd rounds on April 29, and the 4th-7th rounds on April 30th
    *Will not be able to participate in any OTAs (I think this will have a big impact on the development of rookie players. They'll have far fewer opportunities to learn and make the team then they would in a regular season).
    *Can not sign contracts with their team

Is this as ugly to you as it is to me?

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Screw these players and owners, as if they need an extra buck.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    so what happens with all the would be free agents if there is no free agency? Do they go back to their original team? If so, with what pay? Are they just stuck without a team?

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good question. I would believe the team would own the rites to them, and if they do not offer them a contract, they would be free to sign with any team. Basically first rights of refusal, like it was in the pre-free agency era... (B.R. before Reggie (white))

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They are free agents under any circumstances. If there is a lockout, they are free agents but cannot be signed until the lockout is over. If the players union de-certifies, the owners would have to go in front of a judge to get permission to lockout the players. If they are not allowed to lockout the players by the court, then the players would be free agents able to be signed by any team. Either way, the players are free agents

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    if they're free agents either way what's the point of saying there's "no free agency"? Isn't that, then, just semantics referring to the time period when it normally opens up?

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Because "free agency" usually refers to the time period, and during a lockout teams cannot sign anyone therefore the time period never opens up

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    it might become a ghost town around here.

I got an email from the Chargers a couple of days ago, I still have money in my account from the playoff tickets that I bought, but I have not completed my first payment. I have been holding off to see what happens.

Holds finger and thumb together showing a 1/2 inch gap.

I am about that close to saying good bye!

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Had the same money in my account too. I still made the first payment though. I know we'll get refunded for any games that get cancelled. It's just a matter of how long it will take get it back. At least our situation isn't like the Jets fans are facing. They're still on the hook for PSL fees even if the season is cancelled.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Look for the same thing to happen here if a new stadium gets built downtown

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    UGH every day that goes by it only gets more real and closer. YAY for the DRAFT at least! I do hate both sides in this, but hate the more now it is status quo on the payscale for players. They should get paid less MAX value of a contract and they should have retirement benefits plans for players that play 6+ years or some # and I would like to see the Leauge drop the 18 game idea all together. Dont dillute the historical records any more than you already have please?

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    PSL's will not work in San Diego, its hard to televise a home game when the stadium is half empty

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Well, time will tell. That will be the "creative" financing measure that may be used in either SD or LA

15. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I made the first payment on tickets as well. I guess they will probably hold our money and apply it towards future tickets if their is a lockout?