1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL London 2009

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BeerGuy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I can't say enough about the city of London. I've seen a lot of cities, all over the world, and London has become an instant favorite of mine. It was clean, easy to navigate, and full of things to do at all hours of the day.

It was funny to see both Glazer owned teams go down in flames within hours of each other(Tampa & Manchester United). The irony wasn't lost on the papers in London either.

The EU NFL fans were a trip. I saw every NFL team jersey on the back of a European fan. I played catch outside Wembley with Mark Brunell(Redskins edition), Dan Marino and Brian Urlacher. The very first team jersey I saw....you guessed it....a Bolts jersey. They were all about the game, and most were rooting against the Pats, which was fun. It wasn't your nasty, Raiders type animosity, though(BTW, there was a guy behind me in a full on Raider costume with full face paint!). The crowd booed the Pats as they took the field. The Bucs got all the love because it was a home game.

I crammed a ton into my two and a half days in the city.

The NFL will never hold a candle to English football, but, after seeing the fans I believe a team could survive there. The test will be getting fans in the seats of a sub-500 expansion team each week, including pre-season. Also, the 8 away games for the English team would be extremely taxing. Teams visiting London could always have the bye week following their trip. The English team won't have that luxury each time it flies to the U.S. The lack of tailgating would hurt as well.

Here are some photos:

Heading up from the parking lot

[​IMG]

Jerseys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Pre-Game

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kickoff:

[​IMG]

Tourism:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Great pics! Thanks

I really don't see an NFL team in England...we don't pay our players enough to put up with the time warp.:lol: Bunch of Pu****.

It appears you represented the states and the NFL with pride! Nice job!:flag:

5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Cool pics. Bet you would have been bummed out if the Pats lost.

I hope the Chargers never have to play there again.

6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Nice. The EuroBolts all had a great time last year at the game.

I agree London is a great town. Pricey but worth the money. Just tons of things to see and do. Good beer, good food, good people. All good.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Gr8 pix BG tx for sharing!!. :icon_toast:

Looks like u really packed alot into the couple of days. U got most of the sites I see. V nice pic of Big Ben and H of P from the eye. Gr8 to hear there were lots of Bolts fans representing. :tup:

Looks like the only site u missed was 'the Green Man'!!. This is the pub near Wembley where the unofficial tailgate happens. It was mad craic there last year, snail racing and all. Jammers.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Great shots man, thanks for sharing them.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks, BG. Brings back some good memories of my times there.

What beer were they serving at the game?

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    If I remember correctly, Carlsberg is the official beer of Wembley. I guess they would probably have served Coors Light at the TG.

Coors Light if served nice and cold is just OK by me. Carlsberg I don't like even if it is 'probably the best lager in the world'. Gimme a good real ale in the UK any day and ofcourse a pint of the black stuff here at home.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    DB, I'm gonna get over there one day to hoist a pint with ya. I've drunk my share of Guinness, but never from an Irish tap.

It's on my bucket list. :yes:

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Looks like you had a great time. I have never been across the pond,maybe one day.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    The red carpet awaits Buck!.

And many more of yiz!!.

14. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    "It was funny to see both Glazer owned teams go down in flames within hours of each other(Tampa & Manchester United). The irony wasn't lost on the papers in London either"

:lol:

15. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    If memory serves me correct they also sell one of the ales at Wembley, John Smiths or Courage or something like that.

16. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Buck, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know what beer I was drinking. I know it was free. People just kept bringing me cups full of beer....over......and over.......:yes:

17. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Who's the short, smiley guy in a bunch of the photos? :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

All kidding aside, Beer Dude, those are some truly amazing photos. Thank you so much for sharing them and the synopsis of the trip as well.

I think someone mentioned John Courage Beer. Tis an awesome beer to me. Have enjoyed a pint or two.:icon_toast:

18. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    thanks for sharing. London is a fantastic city to visit. Too bad they don't speak english.....

Fantastic museums, history around every corner, and a pub on every block!!

19. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80

Yeah, at 5'8" I'm definitely the guy you want to sit next to on the trans-atlantic flight. I don't take up a whole lot of room.:lol:

That one guy next to me is 6'4" or 6'5". He's my bodygaurd..........:icon_rofl:

20. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

You say it, Alpenbolt !

Thanks for the pics, Beer guy

being there a year ago - it's a nice remembering

21. Shabba

Shabba BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    nice pics! I went again this year and had a good time. Last year was once in a lifetime to the Bolts in my native England, this year was good for the experience.

DB, Green Man was awesome again! A few of the honurary captains were in there before the game.

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Hey Shabba, gr8 to see ya here!!. Stick around, post more!. Gr8 to hear u made it to the Green Man!!. Have u introduced yourself in the above thread?. :tup: