1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL looking to expand to 18 regular-season games

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sun Nov 02, 2008

The New York Daily News reported Sunday that the NFL wants to convert two meaningless exhibition games and convert them to two regular-season games, a move that is expected to raise the ire of the NFL Players Association.

By the 2010 season, the NFL is likely to drop two of the dreadful preseason games that makes the league look so bad and increase the regular season to 18 games. But before that can happen, Roger Goodell and the NFLPA must resolve a difficult economic difference: Should the players get what they play for? The players get 60% of the league's revenue put into the salary cap. Goodell says whether the season is broken down into four preseason games and 16 regular season games or two preseason games and 18 regular season games, the players will still get 60% of the revenue.

Thus, he says, even though they are playing two more regular season games, they should not get an automatic raise where their base salary would be 18 times their per-game pay instead of 16. If a player is making a $1.6 million base salary, which is $100,000 a game, the NFLPA will argue the salary should jump to $1.8 million, while Goodell says any extra money will come as a function of the salary cap system.

"If there is more revenue, you get a piece of that," Goodell said.

The NFL is not changing the structure of the season simply because the preseason games stink and too many players are getting hurt. Those are factors, of course, but more regular season inventory certainly means more television revenue. The ticket revenue wouldn't change because teams are already charging regular season prices for the preseason games, which are barely more than rookie scrimmages. If the league gives the networks more regular season games, the anticipation is the money they pay to show the games would increase. And 60% would then be turned over to the players.

Richard Berthelsen, the interim executive director of the NFLPA until Gene Upshaw's to-be-determined permanent replacement takes over in March, says the players will never go for that approach because it won't impact players with long-term deals.

"It doesn't help a player who signed a five-year contract," he said. "He is playing more games, but his contract is based on 16 games. If they increase to 17 or 18 games, their salary has to be increased. Divide their salary by 16, that is the per game pay. Whatever the number of games, add to that amount. That is our position."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/...t=Aipc5TGGeWWnJjKX_SerHABDubYF?urn=nfl,119065

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that would be wonderful

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Agreed. :D

4. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    The players should get a raise too.

I think it should be 3 preseason games, or 2 with more interleague scrimmages.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Holy ****, git'r'dun!! :tup: :icon_toast: :flag: :bolt:

6. BoltinPortugal

BoltinPortugal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    man, that sucks, now i'm only gonna get 2 of those fantastic preseason games!?!? After the combine those are probably what i'm most looking for in the nfl season!!!

Now seriously, please NFL, cut our great offseason boredom in 2 weeks.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hey, the more NFL football I get to watch the happier I am. :yes:

But at some point I have to be genuinely concerned for the welfare of the guys playing the game. 2 extra games a year could easily mean your average RBs career is shortened by a year or two. Is that a good thing? :icon_huh:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    they should allow more players to be used in a game by allowing all 53 players to be active and maybe even include practice squad guys

• Like Like x 1
  9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :yes: :tup:

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    The Owners would lose $$$$$

They charge us for 2 pre season Games and pocket the $$$$$

11. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I heard the rumour, the two lost preseason games will be
    played as mid-offseason check-ups in March/April and
    the two new season games will be international ones.
    counting one a homegame and the other a roadgame.

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Agreed. Otherwise an 18 game season will be brutal. Expect the length of a players career to be cut by 15 percent.

13. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Not really. They do charge season ticket holder. But many stadiums do not sell out the season ticket holders.

Tickets is not the only way owners make money. It is better to have the seat filled, then to sell the ticket to a STH that doesn't show up. Beer, parking, food, etc.

TV revenues are much much higher on regular season games than pre-season games.

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I like the idea of an expanded season...I also like the idea of a shorter pre-season...I also like the idea of being able to use more players. Where's the bathroom?

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    But the owner keeps every single penny made from a preseason game after expenses are paid. Thats my point. How much do you think an Owner makes for 1 Preseason game? All that is pure profit, not 1 penny has to go to the players.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't like it.

17. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I thought I was the only one. I feel like players have a hard enough time staying healthy, and I don't want this to be the league of who ever lucks out and has the most starters still playing goes to the playoffs. I also don't like the idea of the stats and records flying out the window. In three season LT's TD record could be broken, but what it will mean? I agree pre-season is a waste, but why not just charge less for the tickets, and let the purest go watch.

But I am also a guy who thinks they should get rid of the ability to review a call. I like the idea that sports are the impossible struggle to achieve physical perfection, and thus the perfect game. I feel the refs are part of that and that technology or the ability to have that do over, or "cheat" their way to calling the impossible perfect game makes the whole thing less pure... f*ck I am rambling. sorry.

Yeah, keep the game as is, the tradition, the records... and make sure the game is about the best teams playing at their best competing for the playoffs, not the teams with the least attrition.

18. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Good opinion, I will think about it. I agree with the burst of the statistics.

19. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    So I'm assuming these extra two games will be with teams outside of the division? I don't know, as much as I love football I don't think it's a great idea. I mean, 16 games is divisible with 32 (number of teams), and 4 goes into it as well (divisional teams). How does 18 work into that?

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Why not make it longer.

Hell the NBA is almost a year around league. Didn't they just finish the NBA Season 2(aka the playoffs)?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    This is what I want...

1 keep the 4 perseason games...not many will like this one... play the rookies

2 add two more regular-season games

3 give each team 2 byes...because of injuries and more rest for the players

Because I need my NFL/Charger fix...:abq2:

Longer seasons are better for me... :bolt:

Just play baby play...

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    They could expand the rosters and add another bye week.

• Like Like x 1