1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL might redo developmental league

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    DANA POINT, Calif. (AP)—Nearly three years after punting NFL Europe into oblivion, Roger Goodell wants to bring back a developmental league.

The commissioner raised the subject Wednesday while discussing his desire to see the exhibition season shortened to expand the regular season to 17 or 18 games.

One issue is how teams would make up for losing the snaps they give younger players in August games in order to develop.

“The way we look at the developmental league would be mostly in the offseason where players could get those reps and then have the opportunity to play in the NFL as they work into the season,” said Goodell, who didn’t have any specifics yet for a new developmental league. “That’s the key. That’s what we did with the NFL Europe structure, for example. That would be valuable, I think, as you look at how we develop our players.”

League owners killed off NFL Europe in June 2007, insisting that after “significant investment” it was time to close the league and concentrate internationally on regular-season games outside the United States.

The league reportedly was losing about $30 million a season. Five of the league’s six teams were in Germany, with the other in Amsterdam, when it was folded.

“If it was a developmental league, it should be done for that purpose, for the purpose of developing players,” Goodell said. “So the commercial aspects, the international aspects, I think those would become secondary. That was my issue primarily with NFL Europe was that, what objective was it trying to meet? Was it trying to develop players? Was it trying to grow our game internationally, trying to be a commercial success?

“And then in the 2006 extension of the labor agreement, we lost any support from the players in respect to funding,” Goodell said. “So the economics became dramatically different. That was the major reason why we decided to terminate it. So I think all of those things would have to be factored in and, of course, this would be part of the discussions of the collective bargaining process.”

Star players often play little, if at all, in exhibition games, which coaches usually use to look at younger players. Goodell acknowledged that paying customers don’t think exhibition games are attractive for that reason.

2. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    They should have teams play in the offseason kind of like spring league in baseball

3. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Use the scrimmage workouts to test new players, have two pre-season games that count as a half games to make them more competitive.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the NCAA is the NFL's developmental league.

anything else is just fodder, CFL or arena football

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Isn't that what people thought of the AFL also?

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I was to young to remember but I think when the original owners of AFL teams started that league, the old boys from the NFL crapped their pants when they started losing players to the AFL. They had the resources. Different situation imo

:tup:

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't know that they had an unlimited amount of resource's but folks bought into it. You have to consider, players didn't make the cash then that they do now. Not to mention stadium rental would be a mere pittance of what it is today, I'm sure the NFL could swing it here at home but not others.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think they could do it. The only drawback that I see is the career of a NFL is so short by the time a player makes an impact at yet another level, the wear and tear could possibly already be taking it's toll

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    isn't this competition for the new league? UFL o whatever it's going to be called?

10. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I wouldn't mind seeing a development league in the US. Get the small NFL' less cities with a team and a league. Cities like San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Vegas. Like a minor league system. It money waiting to happen. Personally I think 32 teams is enough. Forget Smell-A, let them buy the raiders back.

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The Pelosi league