1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by L.T Bolt, Jan 19, 2011.

1. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I just put up the chargers but if u want to view the other 31 teams the link is below:

18. San Diego Chargers - Bolts From The Blue
    Cameron Jordan | Defensive end | California: The Chargers have never properly replaced Igor Olshansky after he left for the Cowboys. While the Chargers could use help along their who three-man front, Jordan is the best fit on the board.

2011 NFL mock draft

What yall think about us drafting Cam? No not Cam Newton(Redskins) but Cameron Jordan?:bolt2:

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Hes REALLY good and would be a nice 3-4 DE. If thats what we decide for the 1st, i would be thrilled with him or Allen Bailey in the 1st

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I would be in favor of anyone that can have the same impact as Ndamukong had on the Lions

PLEASE!!!!???

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    LMAO!
    good luck with that, Suh was maybe the best DT prospect to come along in 20 years, to expect that kind of impact from anyone is unrealistic

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no kidding. I got a weeks worth of bagels thanks to that guy. And none of that Aunt Millie's crap either.

but really, shouldn't be be able to get a impact player at 18? come on AJ.

6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    I hope for someone from a really small school, nobody has heard of. And please pass up, Big Florida school players (they surely will be problems). thank you, that is all.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I really really think we need a huge super stud olb. To take over for what merriman used to bring. WE need someone on one side at least who can demolish that side of the oppents o-line to cause o-coordinators to have to double team him which should allow for everyone else to be single blocked in which someone should get through.

I'm still wondering if jj watts of wisconin could be made a olb. I don't see why not. He's very quick and aglie for a man his size. TEams would definetly shift every play they use against us to the other side. Which would cut the field in half for our defense. OR someone like that.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    From Todd McShay
    San Diego Chargers

Record: 9-7
    Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

The San Diego defense has not been the same since Shawne Merriman was injured and eventually released. Larry English has been a disappointment and Ayers would fill the Chargers' need for a 5-technique who can get after the passer.
    (note; we passed on Adrian Clayborn and JJ Watt for this. I'm not against getting another OLB but I think RT/DE are more important. I'd rather target Brooks Reed OLB Arizona in the late second)

From Mel Kiper Jr

San Diego Chargers

Record: 9-7
    Cameron Jordan, DE, California

Jordan is a good fit for the Chargers, particularly as they consider their defensive direction. He's not a system-specific player (Jordan thrives as a 3-4 defensive end), but his quickness means he could handle edge duties in a 4-3. His dad, Steve, was a six-time Pro Bowl tight end, so the NFL lineage is there. The Chargers should address defense first, and Jordan offers solid mid-first round value here.
    (Can't disagree with this pick, only other guy I saw worth drafting in his was Gabe Carimi. I really like Jordan alot personally)

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    chargers aren't that far off from still being a very good team. They just got to fill a few holes. And think out of the box. Get jj. watts and make him a olb and that would shut off one side of the field for our defense. Seriously, no team will even think of running in that direction And he'd have to have two o-lineman blocking him which would free up someone else to get to the qb. Think out of the box here folks seriously.

Plus keep our wr's. WE've got the best wr's in the league. The only improvemnt on offense is we need a very good blocking tight end to make our o-line blocking better.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    OL/DL or fcuk you AJ.

11. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    fixed it for ya;)

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia

see where I'm going AJ? GET ON BOARD!

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is funny that so many fans are convinced that we had the best defense in the league, yet the consensus is that we need to address the defense in the draft.

14. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    O no statistically we where the best defense(Stats Lie)... but on field by the eye test we were pretty poor.. visions of the gaiders runnin the ball on us every play and not being able to stop them haunts me ... addressing the defense is a must.. andi want kasim osgood back

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree. I just find it funny (and slightly annoying) when people make a big deal about how good our defense was based on stats

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    While I find it funny (and slightly annoying) when I watch supposed Chargers fans take every opportunity to belittle the team, complain that stats lie, to say because in this one game we got run one, lets forget in 8 of our 16 games we faced a top 10 runner... No lets apologize and say that regardless of that they were a p!ss poor D because stats lie, althought the run D did maintain a low yardage per game average even though facing a top 10 RB in half of their games. Yeah sumthin lies...

I find it even more humerous that the same Chargers success apologists will look at other teams and say "Weshould be like them" even though against a lesser number of top 10 talent, they have worse stats... So I see that people such as our esteemed posters here agree with stats so long as they are low and can b!tch about them, but feel the need to apologize and make excuses against the team when they are high...

Okeee... Got it...

:lol:

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Just as long as the pick weighs over 310 pounds.

[​IMG]

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    When did anyone say they were piss poor? All I said is they are not among the best in the league, and that is evident since the consensus is that we need to shore up our defense this off season.

Saying your defense wasn't great and needs improvement, doesn't make you less of a fan

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No it does not.

Though let me ask you this. What makes them NOT a top D, when they faced 8 RBs in the top 10 in the league, and still maintained a low run yard per game average? It is not like they were playing with huge leads.

So what does it take to make the Chargers fans feel they have a good to great D?

We have a good to great O. That does not mean we can ignore it and not improve upone it, so I dont put a lot into the argument that they did not earn their ranking because they can be improved upon...

20. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Where is 13x World Chimp when we need him???

I want to hear which CB we should draft!

21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

Conc, I think that statistics have a lot of value. But they don't tell the whole story regarding our defense. A lot of our wins were blowouts, where the opposition had to abandon the run early. We had trouble when games were close, we lost every single game where the score was close enough that the other team could expose our weakness against the run.

This isn't a Top 5 defense, and that side of the ball is where we should focus on in this draft.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Watt has very good athleticism. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "freak" athleticism... and to that extent I really feel like he's starting to get really overhyped. But the man is 6'6", 292 pounds... and that's off of Wisconsin's webpage; he's likely only going to put ON weight between now and the combine/draft day.

How many 300 pound linebackers (even in 3-4 formations) have you seen in this league? People really need to grasp that there is more to the 3-4 OLB position than just pass rushing ability and "athleticism". Are they two large components of it? Yes, but they're not the only ones. I'd wager Watt would struggle mightily to flip his hips and run with NFL level TE's (Julius Freakin' Peppers struggles with that!).

There's thinking outside the box and then there's strapping C4 to the box and blowing it all to hell. Delusions of Watt playing OLB in any scheme smacks very much of the later.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Inclined to agree, not that you couldn't have some fun with him and move him to OLB for a blitz but don't put him there full time as an OLB. Can't work

On the other hand as a 3-4 DE could be a hell of a force if he's available. He's my top pick behind Darius of Alabama

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    whats the problem of having a 6'6" 290 pound olb on one side. Do you think teams will even want to run to that side. Plus were lacking a true power olb to pass rush. I think he could handle that.

Its just a thought to the big brass in charagers park. I don't see why jjwatt can't play olb. The raters made ted hendricks the same thing and he totally dominated.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Because all teams will do is run quick screens and draws to his side to create the run and force him to operate in space - a speedy RB (like Charles or McFadden) only needs his TE or FB to chip/lay-out in space to get the one cut he needs to get enough space on Watt to clear him with burst (it's how TCU managed to isolate against him in the Rose Bowl - except they were more often rushing their QB as opposed to their RB).

Situationally, he could get a few looks as a LB, particularly in short yardage type scenarios, but as an every-down OLB he's Shawn Crable who didn't do squat.

And Ted Hendricks never had to face the kind of athletes at LOT that guys do today. There were some great offensive linemen in his day, but none of them had the size-agility combinations that the modern era guys like Joe Thomas have. Hendricks also didn't weigh anything near to 300 pounds like Watt does. He was 220 pounds coming out of Miami and played at roughly between about 245 to 260 pounds over the course of his career depending on whether he was lined up as a LB and or DE (and it was Shula who first lined him up as a LB).