1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Nation: 2010 Hall Of Fame Debate

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

ESPN
    By Bill Williamson
    8-2-2010

Chargers:
    Philip Rivers, quarterback

Claim to fame: He is an elite quarterback. Rivers is in his prime and has gotten better in each of the four seasons he has started.

Case for enshrinement: This is a long-term project. Rivers is 28 and he should have another eight to 10 quality years remaining in his career. But he is on the right track.

Rivers is one of the game’s best players. He has put up huge numbers. He has thrown for 8,263 yards and 62 touchdowns in the past two seasons. He threw only 20 interceptions in that time. If Rivers, who has a high-powered offense to work with, continues to produce at this rate, he will be considered for enshrinement down the road.

He is a proven winner. San Diego is 46-18 in the regular season since Rivers became the starter. He is a natural leader.

Case against enshrinement: If Rivers gets hurt and his career ends prematurely, his Canton push will fall short. He needs to have a long career. He also needs to show he can deliver in the postseason, when it counts most. In 2006 and 2009, the Chargers were upset at home in their first playoff game in seasons in which the Super Bowl was an attainable goal. Rivers needs some signature playoff wins.

2004 draft class: Rivers will always be compared to Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. Manning was the No. 1 pick, Rivers was the No. 4 pick and Roethlisberger was the No. 11 pick in the 2004 draft. Of course, Manning and Rivers were the key figures in a draft-day trade between the Giants and the Chargers.

Both Manning and Roethlisberger have something Rivers doesn’t: a Super Bowl ring. Roethlisberger has two rings. If Rivers never gets a Super Bowl ring, this comparison could work against him. Still, Rivers appears to be the safest bet of the three as they all move forward. Rivers is playing great and he is a solid citizen. Manning is inconsistent on the field and Roethlisberger will start the 2010 season suspended because of off-field issues. In the end, Rivers probably will be remembered as the best of the three, but a ring will help.

Will he make it? If Rivers stays healthy, I think he will be a Hall of Famer. He'll retire with huge numbers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/2010-hall-of-fame-debate

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    DAMN Right!

Only thing that gets to me is the fact this is being said. I liked it better in year 3 when everyone was still a PR doubter, before they had enuff stats production-wise to project where hes gonna finish in stats and realize this guy is gonna be one of the GREATS.
    And then the vice with IF he has a long career... GRR i fkin hate that shi.

This brings up something too that has been kinda buggin me lately with my friend the KC chef fan. Any time that we end up talkin bout SD receivers or Floyd takin over for VJ he goes all: PR is the master of the highball. :/

Granted he has all tall receivers on the team as primary targets, im not surprised to see a heavy dose of jump balls. But wtf PR is accurate with all his throws. Also this brings up another thing im glad I dont hear so much about is the Flat pass to LT always never working. Im glad b/c I saw way too many times the real reason it was a hiccup at all was LT wasnt lookin soon enuff and got a face full of fastball. Right after it grazed through his nearly perfectly setup hands.

One argument gone and the other I fell is gonna linger. And linger. 42 INTs in 4 full active seasons.. how bad can PRs accuracy realy be?

Cant wait for week 1 to just sit in silence and smile after another hard fought V over KC in KC. Watch out they gonna be after blood when they come to SD at end of season.