1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Network: The state of the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
  2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    they talked about everything that we have all ready discussed in here many times over. Stats are one thing but production is another.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    They think the right side of the O-line is the biggest issue? They obviously didn't watch many of our games.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What do you see as the biggest issues?

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Defense...... our #1 ranking was basically smoke and mirrors. The special teams disaster limited the defense's time on the field. We need real upgrades at OLB, DE, and ILB.

Can we really address all that through the draft? AJ better be ready to go shopping when free agency finally starts.

6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    The right side of the Oline NEEDS an upgrade for sure! It wasn't the worst side of an Oline in the league...but it was down the bottom of the list!

Clary is mediocre and Vasquez is unproven, as yet.

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Obviously YOU didnt watch many of our games!
    The right side of our OL was horrible last year. Vazquez was very average, which was disappointing to see. Was hoping he would make a big jump, especially considering he came from a pass happy college, and yet he wasnt very good in pass protection last year. Also, Clary was the weakest link of the entire offense even with all the injuries, which is pretty pathetic.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I have to disagree with you there. Clary was the only offensive lineman to play every snap last season. He may not be a Pro Bowler, but he wasn't the weakest link by any means.

Vasquez had a down year, but he does have ability..... hopefully, he'll bounce back this year.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Clary is extreeemly under-rated and under appreciated by the fans. He is not a 'star' lineman, but is a good lineman. Vasquez, I have had doubts about him, but he has the size and talent to be a good lineman as well.

I think the OL can be addressed latter in the draft. I agree with Blewy on the point that we need to look at LB hard. In the 3-4 D, the LBs, and more importantly the ILBs are very important. They give the D the mobility to give different looks. We need a stud in the middle.

I dont think we have anything I would call a glaring need, unless it be kicker (shut up CD!).

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    how many times was Rivers sacked? And how many times did we see on ESPN how great Rivers is when he has to throw the ball with the defense up in his grill? Is that something we should be proud of, or do you want him to be able to see the whole field, at least once in a game?

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I don't think anyone is saying that the O-line couldn't use some new blood, but is it our highest priority? I would say it's not even close. If we only drafted for defense this year, we'd still be much better off than we were last season. Our defensive stats were very misleading. Rivers, on the other hand, did a great job making do with less.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    YES. Simply put; show me one QB that does not get sacked, have to have pocket awareness, avoid rushes and step up into the pocket. Even the best OL in the world will have this happen. If you are expecting perfection, you wont ever find it in the NFL.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Bottom line is, the offense scored enough points in most game to win. The defense and ST couldn't hold up their end of the bargain. ILB position is weak up the middle and rarely make that big time hit/stop that can change the momentum of the game. In the 3-4 the linebackers have to play with a sense of urgency at all time, Mach-1 with their hair on fire. If this area can be improved, we'd likely see better overall defensive play, they need some in your face push also a little spit and blood would be nice.

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I am not asking for perfection. All I am asking for is one more second when Rivers is back to pass. All I am asking for is a hole where someone can run through it. I am tired of Nate Keading missing a field goal. I am tired of our punting team giving up huge returns or points. If we had a line that dominated the line of scrimage, we wouldnt have to worry about a thing. If we went for it on 4th down and missed it, we were all ready deep inside the other teams territory anyway. If we scored at least 30 points every game, how many do you think we would lose?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So show me one QB that does not face those problems... Against Indy, who has arguably the best DE pass rushing combo, our OL did a fantastic job. They do a journeymans job each game. There is only so much they can do... They can improve, but they are far from a detriment to the team.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not if AJ goes out and trades a bunch of picks like he has the last few years, which IMO has played a major roll in how bad our special teams was. Most teams make up their special teams with the mid-late round picks that the Chargers have either traded away, or drafted guys like Crompton and Gartrell Johnson who don't even make the team

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Clary is and has been Servicable. No negative here. What are you all bitching about anyway in 2 more seasons he either is gone and we got our SUPERSTAR RT or he moves on over to second string RT for the SUPERSTAR. There is a reason Clary is still here in spite of all the lack of major fan suppport, the coaching staff knows what they have in him. Also as a NOW pretty anti Sproles fan, Clary is the last KU player we got once DS is 86ed.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You might want to pick a player for your sig who'll actually be on the team...... #imjustsaying ;)

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Getting sacked is one thing, but being sacked the 3rd most of anyone in the entire NFL is unacceptable.

The right side of the line sucked and needs to be upgraded. I don't think it is our #1 priority, but it is a need