1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL owners granted permanent stay

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, May 16, 2011.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Appellate court grants NFL owners permanent stay - ESPN

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    momentum shifted heavily to the owners now

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Billionaires 7 Millionaires 3.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'm sure they'll be gracious in victory, and reach a swift and equitable deal with the players. ;)

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'll be here all week. ;)

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Judicial lackeys.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The only thing this does is keep the lock out in place until the hearing happens in a couple weeks

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I wonder how many luxury boxes and 'appreciation gifts' the NFL had to hand out for that....

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    In related news, the 8th District Court of Appeals judges were discovered on their knees in front of the NFL owners at a meeting of the Toe-Tappers Club.

One was heard to comment "slurp glug yum" ....

11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I guess if the Players don't have David Doty to hand them every ruling, it's a little tougher for them.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same goes for the NFL when they don't have their corporate-sponsored judges.

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Two of them anyway....

14. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    How come Doty wasn't "on his knees" in front of the Players when he gave them like a hundred rulings in a row?

15. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    They seem to want to at least try to negotiate rather than take everything to court...

“It is now time to devote all of our energy to reaching a comprehensive agreement that will improve the game for the benefit of current and retired players, teams, and, most importantly, the fans. This litigation has taken the parties away from the negotiating table where these issues should be resolved. We remain confident that the appellate court will determine that this is a labor dispute that should be governed by federal labor law. But the league and players, without further delay, should control their own destiny and decide the future of the NFL together through negotiation.”

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The owners want to negotiate? No they don't. They just want the leverage so they can bend the players over and demand that they take what ever they are offered or face not being paid.

If the owners wanted to negotiate in good faith, they would have done so years ago when the players offered to negotiate without them having to opt out of the CBA. Then if that failed, they could have imposed a lockout. And they would have continued to negotiate a few months ago rather than imposing the lockout. They didn't even try. Plain and simple, the owners don't want to negotiate a deal that is good for both sides, they already had that. They want one where they make money hand over fist and screw the players

17. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were involved in the negotiations and are aware of the intricacies of the previous deal. Just because the owners didn't like the previous deal doesn't mean they aren't willing to negotiate. Perhaps the players proposals from before were completely unacceptable. I don't know, I'm not in the room. All sides in ANY negotiation will use the tools available to try to get the best deal possible. I guess if the owners do that, they are as_holes, but if the players pull procedural "decertifications" then it's all good.

All I know is that CURRENTLY, TODAY the owners are expressing a desire to negotiate a deal. The Players strategy is litigation. Did I misread something?

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yes, if you believe what the owners say you are correct. Then you can look a Jerry Jones making his comments about showing the players who is boss and perhaps the cherry pie façade of the owners starts to faultier a bit...

I don’t believe either side. Neither wants a fair and equitable deal, they want the bigger piece of the pie, they both have said so repeatedly.

Bottom line, you have your opinion, DB has his, and everyone has one. All are built on speculation and trust of one side or the other…

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Did you not understand, the owners REFUSED to even negotiate before opting out of the CBA. It had nothing to do with liking or disliking the players proposal, it was that they weren't willing to negotiate.

The players are ONLY litigating because as you said, they are playing the cards they have to get the best deal. If the lockout stays in effect, the players have zero leverage and will get bent over. Like it or not, that is a fact

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Is that what the players mean when they say they want to continue playing under the old CBA that made everyone involved rich? The players haven't asked for anything. They want to keep things the way they were, but have been willing to negotiate. They have offered to drop their 59% cut to a 50-50 split of the total amount, but the owners refused because they are demanding not only to have the $1 Billion off the top they get now, but they want a bigger chunk and a larger % of the remainder. And once again, the players have not refused that, they have said they will not give it unless they are shown why it is in the best interest of the game, something the owners have responded "Trust us".

Sorry, but if the owners profits were public knowledge like the players salaries are, the owners would have zero support

21. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    By all accounts, the last deal was very player friendly. Of course they would be happy continuing with that deal. Let's not act like they are being altruistic or something.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Oh bull droppings. It is clear to see which side you lean towards and that is all fine and good. There is on old saying, actions speaks louder than words. Their actions have been to enter into a farce of negotiations with the mind set, and pre-planned action of decertifying and litigating.

Neither side entered this deal looking to work with the other side. If you choose to believe so, then I believe you are picking and choosing what you want to see and understand.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I was responding to the statement that the players have been asking for more, which is utterly false

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The moment that it was clear the owners wouldn't be extending the lockout deadline again, the players had no choice but to do what they have done. The owners knew this would happen, and still incisted on imposing the lockout rather than continuing to negotiate. The owners imposed the lockout, the owners opted out of the CBA, and the owners refused to extend the lockout deadline and continue negotiating. Everything that has happened is the way it is because of the choices the owners made.

It is very simple. I am not in the room and have no idea what the players have asked for. What I do know is that they didn't opt out of the CBA and they didn't impose a lockout or go on strike. So to blame them for this mess is totally ridiculous

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The moment that it was clear the owners wouldn't be extending the lockout deadline again, the players had no choice but to do what they have done. The owners knew this would happen, and still incisted on imposing the lockout rather than continuing to negotiate. The owners imposed the lockout, the owners opted out of the CBA, and the owners refused to extend the lockout deadline and continue negotiating. Everything that has happened is the way it is because of the choices the owners made.

It is very simple. I am not in the room and have no idea what the players have asked for. What I do know is that they didn't opt out of the CBA and they didn't impose a lockout or go on strike. So to blame them for this mess is totally ridiculous

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    They had a choice. Both sides did, but neither side entered negotiations wishing to accomplish a partnering...

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What choice did they have? please explain.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    To work with the owners and try and reach an equal deal. You seem to feel the players are some sort of victim here. That is laughable at best IMHO. They both tried to screw the other and take as much as they could.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    How were they supposed to work with the owners when they had no leverage the moment the lockout went into effect and the owners could have forced them to take what ever they wanted. Decertification and suing over the lockout was the only possibility they had to gain any leverage to get a fair deal.

I don't think the players are victims, I just know they didn't create the mess.

30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Fixed it for ya. Dont forget we have been gettin screwed hand over fist for what 6 years easy?