1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL players giving back...... free football camps

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Many NFL players make their football camps free
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 26, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT

We noted last week that the Adrian Peterson Football Camp would cost $199 to attend — and wouldn’t even feature Adrian Peterson. But we’re also happy to pass along word of several football camps that sound like a much better deal, at a price that can’t be beat.

Packers receiver James Jones told the San Jose Mercury News that he makes his football camp free because he remembers how it felt when he was growing up in San Jose, seeing flyers advertising football camps.

“But they all cost money,” Jones said. “Living in homeless shelters, I knew my mom didn’t have $150 for me to go to a camp. If she did have $150, it was for us to survive.”

On Saturday more than 100 boys attended the Pierre Thomas Free Football Skills Day in Lansing, Illinois, where the Saints running back grew up.

“I love giving back because this is where it all started for me. I want the kids in this community to be successful, too,” Thomas said.

Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather volunteered his time at another free football camp this weekend, and Cowboys running back Felix Jones hosted a free football camp on Saturday in his hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Jones recruited several other NFL players to volunteer their time at his camp, including Dominique Franks, Gerald McCoy, Brandon Keith and Chris Chamberlain, and he said he viewed it as an opportunity to teach the kids in attendance about more than just football.

“There were a lot of life skills going on here today, and I’m glad we have the guidance and the teachers to spread that news,” Jones told News 6 in Tulsa. “For the kids to be here is awesome.”

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Good for all the players who give back!