1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL Pool, another question

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BasPilot, Oct 25, 2005.

1. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Here's the problem with my own rules for the tie breaker in the pool... I had a bunch of guys that were really close to eachother... If this pool grows and about 30 people are in it, then I'm going to eventually get people tie in both wins and the MNF score.

I need ideas on either a better tie breaker or a secondary breaker...

So far this pool has been nothing but my ideas on how to do it and how to run it... Well, I'm totally wrapped up in school right now and I'm not sure if I can tear myself away studying to come up with another idea... or atleast thats a good excuse for not having an idea...

Help me out fellas!!!

2. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    BasPilot, we tottaly appeciate you doing the football pool each week. Here's a suggestion on the weekly tie breaker.

I think that each person should pick one game during the week and predict the score for it. Same rules apply for the MDF game. Who ever comes closest wins.

That way, it gives us more chances to pick a winner.

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Good suggestion. What do you think Bas?

4. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Elaborate on what you are saying... is this in addition to the other score, meaning Score MNF and another game of their choosing?

That your idea or something else?!

5. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    this is what i do for our office pool. i include the monday nite game with the sunday nite games. i have everyone pick not the final score but the total points in the game...for instance this week i put in 45 total points. its alot easier to declare the winner than the exact final score. so if there was a tie with 2 people then the total points would determine the winner. understand???? thats how its been with every pool ive played. i think this is the only football pool ive played that you give the exact final score. also, there is a program you can get from www.novateksoftware.com that keeps track of all the players picks points and ytd totals. i use this as well to keep track of everyones picks. its cool and it doesnt cost anything to download it. any help, let me know. this is my second year doing this here and its been going well.

6. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I've just been doing it by hand, it's easier that way, plus I virtually memorize the winners each week by the end of the time... which theoretically should make me really good a predicting the next week, but it doesnt'!!!

I've never been in a football pool before and came up with the final score thing myself and thought it was working quite well... I think though that even if you give a total points score you will still end up with someone tying at the end on a rare occasion. So, I can't exactly have people doing random games becuase one game that person a picks may be a blow out and then person b picks a game that was a snow bowl and only 3 feild goals are recorded... I think everyone has to guess the same games...

Maybe that's what I'll do... Starting next week pick another game other than the monday night game and it will then be the scondary tie breaker... I don't think it's probable that people will tie the games, the monday night game score and the other game score...

7. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    for instance..monday nights game the total was 40 points. my boy picked 45 and my wife picked 60. my boy won cuz the total was closer to his. if it went over 45, then my wife would win. if it went over that, then she still would of won. i think its alot easier that way. picking another game will cause more confusion. i have never had two ties before. just have everyone pick the monday night winner with the total points. its up to us to study the game and see who has the better offense, defense and also the weather. its pure luck.

8. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I understand what you are saying... I am telling you that we will eventually end up with a double tie and I need ANOTHER tie breaker not just one tie breaker.

Monday Night Football is staying how it is...

I need a secondary option...

That's the question. The question is not what do you think of my tie breaker.

Cool?

9. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    No, they only predict the score of one game. That way it increases the odds of having no ties.

10. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    there shouldnt be another tie. i dont think im understanding you correctly. if you use the monday nite game as the tiebreaker, closet to the points without the score going over wins. like i have said, ive never had double ties. think the odds are better playing the lotto.

11. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Well, we were one point away from a tie last weekend so I'll have to come up with something for the secondary breaker...

I'll probably pick a big game each week that I want to see something interesting on... I wanna do something other than just score... Maybe pick the passer rating of the winning quarterback!!

12. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    just end with two winners.