1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Power Rankings - Post 'Em Here

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    PFT’s Week One Power Rankings
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 5, 2016

[Editor’s note: Every Tuesday during the season, PFT posts a top-to-bottom list of all teams in the league. This week’s opening effort comes a day early, with yet another money-back guarantee. To all of the fans of the teams in the second half of the rankings, keep two things in mind: (1) someone had to be there; and (2) this list and a dollar will buy you a newspaper, if they actually still sell newspapers.]

1. Broncos (0-0): The defending champion gets two things: A regular-season home opener on Thursday night (unless the local baseball team is in town) and the top spot in the initial PFT power rankings until they lose. Which could happen very, very soon.

2. Panthers (0-0): Three straight division titles, a 15-1 regular season in 2015, the reigning league MVP, and a general sense that the team isn’t getting nearly enough respect.

3. Patriots (0-0): Even without Tom Brady for four weeks and the Broncos clutching the latest Lombardi Trophy, the Patriots are still the team to beat in the AFC.

4. Seahawks (0-0): They got better last year after Marshawn Lynch was injured. Now that he’s gone for good, they may be as good as they were in 2013.

5. Cardinals (0-0): “All or Nothing” ultimately ended up in “nothing” last year. Whether they get the “all” in 2016 depends on whether they get “anything” out of Carson Palmer when it counts.

6. Steelers (0-0): The defense quietly has improved to the point where not having Martavis Bryant for a year or Le’Veon Bell for three weeks doesn’t really matter.

7. Packers (0-0): Yes, they would have been higher if they hadn’t dumped Josh Sitton on Saturday.

8. Bengals (0-0): If Andy Dalton runs his *** to the sideline, the Bengals may be riding to their first playoff win since the week before they destroyed Bo Jackson’s hip.

9. Washington (0-0): Coach Jay Gruden used his team’s placement on this list at No. 32 last year as motivation. This year, he’ll have to find motivation somewhere else.

10. Chiefs (0-0): With all the talk about the Broncos fading and the Raiders rising, the Chiefs get lost in the shuffle. They won’t once the games begin.

11. Vikings (0-0): Whether the Sam Bradford trade becomes Herschel Walker Part II or the Second Coming of Randall Cunningham remains to be seen. The rest of the roster is good enough to keep the team on the fringes of the top 10, for now.

12. Raiders (0-0): Expectations for 2016 may be a bit high, but the Raiders are on the verge of bringing a much-needed Darth Vader vibe back to the NFL, allowing the league office to perhaps stop being the primary villain in the nation’s ultimate reality show.

13. Texans (0-0): The division is tightening up; as long as Brock Osweiler doesn’t, they should win the division.

14. Cowboys (0-0): Dak Prescott will soon learn the difference between preseason and regular-season games.

15. Colts (0-0): Andrew Luck currently is closer to Archie than Peyton on the Manning scale, and Luck can thank the organization for that.

16. Ravens (0-0): If they can stay healthy, they can get back to the playoffs and give the Patriots all they can handle, again.

17. Jets (0-0): The Jets surely hope that, when it’s time for Ryan Fitzpatrick to perform in the clutch, he’ll perform better than their offseason contract offers to him suggest.

18. Jaguars (0-0): How will the franchise respond to the sudden weight of outside expectations and not-so-subtle internal mandates? We’re about to find out when the Packers roll into town.

19. Dolphins (0-0): The Dolphins are on the right track. The question is how long it will take to get to the destination.

20. Buccaneers (0-0): Few teams in the 20s ever have a realistic chance to get all the way to the Super Bowl. This one does.

21. Rams (0-0): The Climb to 7-9 begins, with the latest evidence of the same-old outcome coming from the failure of the No. 1 overall pick to be higher than No. 3 on the depth chart.

22. Saints (0-0): The Saints love being off the radar this year. They definitely are, at least for now. It may not last long.

23. Lions (0-0): If Calvin Johnson truly is a Hall of Famer (he’s not), not having him will be anything but a good thing for the Lions.

24. Falcons (0-0): Someone has to be in the fourth spot in the most wide-open division in football. And the Falcons could still find a way to win the thing.

25. Bears (0-0): The defense will be better in Year Two of the John Fox regime, but it’s hard to think the offense will be as good with Adam Gase and Matt Forte gone.

26. Titans (0-0): To get respect, a team has to earn it. Lately, the Titans haven’t. They have a great chance to starting doing it with the Vikings coming to town to start the season.

27. Giants (0-0): Am I convinced that firing Tom Coughlin, keeping everyone else, and promoting Ben McAdoo will make the team better? The placement of the team says it all.

28. 49ers (0-0): The Colin Kaepernick situation has become a nice distraction from the rest-of-the-roster situation.

29. Bills (0-0): It’s always better to easily overcome a low bar set by someone else than to run under a high bar set by yourself.

30. Chargers (0-0): If you climb out of this hole by November and more people vote for the hotel tax, you can thank us.

31. Eagles (0-0): Fly, Eagles, fly. Right into a window, given the decision to start the season with a former FBS quarterback who already has bad ribs.

32. Browns (0-0): Someone has to be in this spot, even when everyone is 0-0. Some think the Browns secretly hope to be in this spot when the season ends, so that they can land DeShaun Watson.

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    That is a good list.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Well at least they made the top 32 list!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    30 is our lucky number...lets win it all

:)

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    if it were the NCAA basketball tournament they'd like a 7 or 8 seed :abq1:

6. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    1. Seahawks
    2. Panthers
    3. Patriots
    4. Cardinals
    5. Bengals
    6. Packers
    7. Vikings
    8. Chiefs
    9. Steelers
    10. Broncos
    11. Texans
    12. Jets
    13. Chargers
    14. Jaguars
    15. Raiders
    16. Giants
    17. Titans
    18. Redskins
    19. Buccaneers
    20. Bills
    21. Lions
    22. Ravens
    23. Saints
    24. Falcons
    25. Colts
    26. Cowboys
    27. Bears
    28. Eagles
    29. Rams
    30. Dolphins
    31. Browns
    32. 49ers
    I see 1-6 as serious SB contenders. 7-10 the looks like really strong PO type teams. 11-15 should be in the mix for a PO slot.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Chargers at 13?...... Somebody's been tooting the pipe again. :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Chargers @ #16 my uneducated guess.....! Right in that meaty part of the curve. Not showing off, not falling behind! :tup:

9. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Well yeah, but only because the Amsterdam Admirals and Frankenfurter Galaxy are now defunct, otherwise 33 was looking like a certainty. :D

10. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Double duty I'd say BLEW ......

Otherwise known as Tootin' & Tuggin' ...... [​IMG]

11. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    I don't think it's too far fetched. The last time we had this coaching staff together, we went 9-7 despite losing most of our one score games. A record akin to that one corresponds to a ranking of 13th. The roster is better than it was then. I realize we are coming off a downright terrible season, but there are more considerations than just last year's record. The case is more fully stated in the thread I made about improvement, but I would expect we move up to at least to 8-8. So I think that middle range is about right.

12. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    A very serious paradox ;)

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    [​IMG]

14. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    People remember that a roster arguably worse than this one under the same coaching staff went 9-7 two years in a row, right? I mean, I don't fault anyone for ranking them with the dregs. They earned it last year. But it's also not at all strange to say they could be above average. Or are power rankings just supposed to be a copy and past of last year's final standings?

15. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Bingo!

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Not everyone is as optimistic as you..... ;)

The Ringer: Chargers will be one of the worst teams in the NFL
    By Roger Hinojosa on Sep 5, 2016

The beginning of the 2016 NFL season is right around the corner and to kick things off, The Ringer's Robert Mays has released his take on the upcoming NFL season. Despite a few offseason additions and relatively decent draft, the Chargers still remain at the bottom of Mays' list. Putting all biases aside, I have to agree mostly with Mays' analysis of the Chargers' season. Mays goes into DVOA, which for those who may not be completely versed on DVOA, stands for "Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average." DVOA is the measurement of a team's efficiency by comparing that team's success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent faced.

For a more detailed explanation, visit the Football Outsider's page. Mays' article does not seem overly pessimistic, but in fact reasonable on the Chargers' strengths and areas that could use improvement. Mays was understanding towards Philip Rivers and the Chargers plague of injuries last season.

Philip Rivers just can’t seem to catch a break. For the past two seasons, the Chargers have seen their offensive potential ruined by injuries along the offensive line. It felt like San Diego was playing with a new combination of guys up front every week, and for as good as Rivers has been during the past couple of years, he hasn’t been able to overcome the medical issues his offense has experienced.

Mays goes on to recognize that the Chargers' O-line has been upgraded, but needs to remain healthy to keep the offense on track.

In terms of projecting how the Chargers could be better in 2016, health is the key. After signing center Matt Slauson, they boast the best group of offensive linemen they’ve had in quite some time. Now, it’s just a matter of keeping everybody on the field.

Overall, Mays does hold the Chargers' offense as the strength of the team, barring injuries. However, his analysis of the defense was not as positive and in my opinion for good reason. Here is what Mays said about the defense:

Still, San Diego’s problems on defense go way beyond injuries. It allowed 4.8 yards per carry last season; only Washington and a historically awful New Orleans group were worse. Essentially, running backs playing against the Chargers last fall turned into the equivalent of Todd Gurley, and fixing that problem in 2016 won’t come easy.

The confusing part of Mays' article is his recognition of the addition of Brandon Mebane and the excellent play by Denzel Perryman, but later goes on to call the middle of our defense the weakest part of the Chargers, almost making it feel like Usain Bolt could set a world record running through the gaps in the Chargers' defensive line. Mebane will be a reliable addition, but in my opinion will need to be spelled by a skilled, young interior linemen. The addition of Joey Bosa should help anchor that line. I do agree somewhat with Mays' analysis, but I do not agree with how weak the front will be. Yes it is the soft spot of the defense, it will be exposed, but not to the point where Mebane and the interior force are considered ghosts.

The defensive backs were lightly touched upon, "[T}he Chargers’ combination of Verrett, Casey Hayward, and Brandon Flowers could rank among the better corner trios in the AFC." He does not go on to mention the play of our safeties. However, he does mention the lack of the outside rush and that there does need to be improvement of the outside rush.

San Diego will need more from both him and former first-round pick Melvin Ingram if its pass defense has a chance to make up for the unit’s inability to stop the run.

For the most part I agree with Mays' objective analysis, and somewhat optimistic and favorable analysis of the offense, but do not completely agree with the defensive analysis. Either way, the article is an interesting read and you can read where the Chargers stand amongst The Ringer's "worst". Read the article and let us know if you agree.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    The full "Ringer" writeup on the Chargers..... at least they're not #32. ;)

26. San Diego Chargers
    2015 record: 4–12

2015 DVOA finish: 15th on offense; 28th on defense

Philip Rivers just can’t seem to catch a break. For the past two seasons, the Chargers have seen their offensive potential ruined by injuries along the offensive line. It felt like San Diego was playing with a new combination of guys up front every week, and for as good as Rivers has been during the past couple of years, he hasn’t been able to overcome the medical issues his offense has experienced.

In terms of projecting how the Chargers could be better in 2016, health is the key. After signing center Matt Slauson, they boast the best group of offensive linemen they’ve had in quite some time. Now, it’s just a matter of keeping everybody on the field. The San Diego ground game can’t be worse than it was a year ago, when it ranked 31st in rushing DVOA and rookie Melvin Gordon failed to get anything going. And with Rivers, newly signed receiver Travis Benjamin, and a healthy Keenan Allen, the Chargers have the makings of an upper-echelon passing game.

Still, San Diego’s problems on defense go way beyond injuries. It allowed 4.8 yards per carry last season; only Washington and a historically awful New Orleans group were worse. Essentially, running backs playing against the Chargers last fall turned into the equivalent of Todd Gurley, and fixing that problem in 2016 won’t come easy. By adding nose tackle Brandon Mebane in free agency and ceding full-time linebacker duty to 2015 second-round pick Denzel Perryman, the middle of the Chargers defense shouldn’t be as soft as it’s been in recent years. But this remains a team without a reliable force on its defensive interior. That’s why figuring out how many things no. 3 overall pick and recent signee Joey Bosa can do is paramount.

What They Should Do Well: The Chargers’ passing game has a remarkably high floor. Even as the rest of the offense crumbled around him, Rivers still lifted San Diego to finish eighth in passing DVOA last season. As long as he’s playing QB, the Chargers are going to throw it well. It’s that simple.

Where They Will Struggle: Mebane, who turned 31 in January and isn’t quite the player he was at his peak in Seattle, probably won’t be enough to solve the run-defense woes. Expect opponents to go to the ground early and often versus San Diego.

Potential Breakout Star: Jason Verrett. The former first-round pick is already among the most talented cornerbacks in the league; his only problem has been an inability to stay healthy. After missing 10 games to a shoulder injury as a rookie, he missed two more last year. If he’s active, the Chargers’ combination of Verrett, Casey Hayward, and Brandon Flowers could rank among the better corner trios in the AFC.

Stat of Note: Zero. No team in the NFL had a larger DVOA disparity when pressuring quarterbacks than the Chargers, who finished fifth in DVOA with pressure and 30th without. Outside linebacker Jeremiah Attaochu has been effective in spurts, but San Diego will need more from both him and former first-round pick Melvin Ingram if its pass defense has a chance to make up for the unit’s inability to stop the run.

18. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    I don't expect any of the pundits to give us much credit. I just think the case is there to be made (pretty reasonably) that we will be average or a little better.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I appreciate your optimism, Jesse, but can't agree that this roster is as good or better than 2 or 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, yes, I do think it would be "strange to say they could be above average"...
    and I think that that's why precisely zero of the national voices rank the Chargers
    in the top half of the league, at this point.

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Forget rankings, all teams start at zero until proven otherwise. Give it 3-4 weeks, then start your "rankings."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    I believe I came across an NFL.com ranking that put us in the top half. But regardless, how is it roster worse than it was in the 9-7 years?

22. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    This season is a season of change, flip the script, 4-12, 12-4, miracle on 16h street or wherever the hell that new stadium would be

23. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    You are kidding, right?

Offensively the team two years ago had Floyd's last good year, had a very productive Eddie Royal who fit very well into the offense, had a Gates that was two years younger, had a second receiving threat at TE in Ladarius Green, had some use of Mathews (a RB still better than anyone we have had since), had Malcom Floyd's last good year, and had a Rivers that was two years younger.

Basically, it looks like we are worse now at WR, TE, RB and maybe even just a little at QB. And that is without being significantly better on the OL.

Defensively, we had Weddle, Gilchrist, the last demonstrated good year of Flowers, and Johnson (who added value because he was a good run defender on a defense that was otherwise bad against the run). The pass defense was actually in the top 10 in YPA against.

It appears that we are much worse at both safety positions and at CB. Our DL appears no better on the whole. The only upgrades that I see are Perryman over Butler at ILB and Mebane over Lissemore at NT (which is offset by downgrades among the other DL players).

This year, the run defense in particular has a chance to be extremely bad. I think Whiz's ball control approach will save it from being historically bad in terms of total yard surrendered (since we will have the ball more and the other team will not), but the YPC against number could be pretty ugly (probably not better than 30th with a very good chance of finishing 32nd--dead last).

I think we have already seen glimpses of the run defense issues this preseason with all of the long runs our opponents have had. My belief is that that will continue into the regular season. Because our defense is small/soft by NFL standards, I expect opponents to do progressively better against us running the ball as games wear on and as the season progresses (with our guys getting beaten down comparatively more than the players of other teams).

24. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    As my #hottake seems to have merited one of Chainy's famous "Craptornado Essays," I'm feeling much better about it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Feel however you would like about it. That won't change the reality when it happens.

I am putting the O/U on our run defense for the season at 4.9 YPC against with us getting off to a bad start by giving up over 5 yards per carry for the game in KC this weekend.

26. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    We may not finish 13th in our conference, much less the whole NFL.

27. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    Garnering a response from Chaincranker is all that one can hope for in this place. It's why I wake up in the morning.

28. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    Setting him off is quite a feat! You must say something that he disagrees with. ONLY THEN will he unleash his never ending lava flow of white hot molten knowledge. I seem to have a gift for it. Lucky me, I get so much brilliant knowledge dropped in my lap.

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Sorry to take so long, Jesse...work...
    and, well, I think a complete explanation would take forever...
    Weddle, Hardwick, Floyd, younger Gates, SciFi...etc...

I'm not saying that those 9-7 teams were the '85 Bears...but, aside from Verrett, I don't see many
    significant upgrades...

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I need to get you a hobby

Yeah last one I saw from Yahoo had us 30th just in front of the 49ers and Browns. That seems a touch excessive to me but hey Chargers gotta put up or shut up ASAP to get any traction. Beat KC and we can talk