1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL ripe for plucking by Chargers next season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Feb 13, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20080211-9999-1s11canepa.html

"Having recently spent nine days in beautiful downtown Phoenix – there not only isn't any there there, there is nothing there – I had a lot of time to think, which can be painful. But I now can say the NFL can be had.

After all, the Giants won the Super Bowl. And Eli Manning was the MVP. Are you kidding me?

Anything can happen now. Obviously.

It became apparent during the waning weeks of The League's season that the New England Patriots were not what they were earlier. And it has become even more apparent since the previously unbeaten Patriots' defeat that their coach, Bill Belichick, and his disciples, have much work to do.

The Pats have 13 unrestricted free agents on their roster, and the list includes receiver Randy Moss – who had one of the greatest seasons in NFL history – and top corner Asante Samuel and aging linebackers Tedy Bruschi (34) and Junior Seau (39).

The Patriots defense is not young, and it showed in the end. Belichick has to decide which players to re-sign. He may franchise-tag Moss, which would cost the club $5 million more ($8 million-plus) than it did this past season.

Samuel, dubbed by Pats safety Rodney Harrison the NFL's best cornerback, “by far,” is going to want a ton. It isn't going to be as easy as Belichick found it to run off the field before the Super Bowl ended.

It also became apparent that the Pats' spread offense could be handled, once defensive coordinators figured it out. The offense averaged 37 points during the regular season and scored an NFL-record 589 points, managing 75 touchdowns, with quarterback Tom Brady – the best – on the bridge.

But the Giants held the Pats to two touchdowns in the Super Bowl and New England managed 21 points on the limited Chargers in the AFC Championship Game.

Chargers GM A.J. Smith often talks about luck, and injuries are a part of it. I'm now convinced that, if tailback LaDainian Tomlinson, tight end Antonio Gates and quarterback Philip Rivers were healthy for that game, there might have been a parade for these guys downtown this week.

But they lost, and that's their problem. Injuries happen. But the window of opportunity for San Diego never had been more open. Top to bottom, the Chargers still have the most talented roster. Most all of their core players are signed. They will lose very few key people. Their new coach, Norv Turner, won 13 games, including two in January.

Tell you what. This is the time for them. The NFL isn't all that good. Hay is there to be made.

The League doesn't figure to be as top-heavy. The Patriots won't be as good. And the Giants won the Super Bowl. That isn't happening again. . . ."

"A disgruntled restaurateur threatened to shoot people at the Super Bowl. If he had a downtown restaurant, he could have fired away for days and not hit anybody." :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Three-dot items

"Roger Clemens' wife, Debbie, is being accused of taking HGH in 2003? No wonder she won the Cy Young and was named SI's Sportswoman of the Year" . . . :lol::lol::lol:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    everyone is expecting a super bowl win this next season and AJ better put the spurs to the team

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Yep and I think that also means that AJ may need to be a little more active in free agency this year.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If I were Alex Spanos, I would tell AJ "look biitch, you either give me the hardware in the next two seasons or you are fired" :yes:

Time to bust some ***. :yes:

The Chargers will be the fuc outta here if we do not win the whole fuggin thing and soon.

Time is almost up.

5. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I hear you but with AJ these are some of the best teams we've had and dude can fuggin draft talented players. That said there is some to truth to Alex dropping the hammer however AJ eats glass so I'm not sure the direct approach is the way to go. :lol:

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    AJ could tell Alex to go **** himself and that he's quitting to go be GM for the chiefs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    bite your tongue - him going to the chiefs or any other team would be an unmitigated disaster

however AJ SHOULD be more active in FA. Not go crazy per se but you know, grab one of those RTs in FA (Starks or Williams perhaps), maybe if you can find a nickel corner or a good backup RB get them.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

We've got a coupla years, but I WANT THAT T-SHIRT, DAMMIT!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

9. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I WANT THAT SHIRT TOO, DAMMIT!!

And AJ should be more active in FA...

• Like Like x 1
  10. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I agree AJ should be more active in FA. We have lots of salary cap room. How about trying for Haynesworth or Samuel and then use our first round on the OL. Now's the time AJ!! Spend the money. You can do it.

11. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Just to be clear I'm not advocating a spending spree but I do think with a couple key moves AJ can really add some depth and talent to this team. He's shown us the way so far and I know we sign our own guys first but there are a couple of guys out there that could fill some needs.

AJ will get it done. :yes: :bolt:

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Order up one for me too dammit! I want the Sports Illustrated DVD and collectors edition for the 2008 Super Bowl Champion San Diego CHARGERS! (that sounds real nice) I keep thinking, damn, if the fuggin GNATS can win a Lombardi with freakin SHELI, RIVERS can do it with real talent around him (granted they are healthy) I think this is where AJ and the organization get rewarded. The title is ours for the taking!!

13. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    We have the talent...We have the plays...We have the coaches and players getting along...We just need to win in the BIG games! I think we can do it! :icon_party:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We can pick up one or two offensive lineman as FA's. The rest of the money should be spent on signing our resident talents long term and any other gaps can be filled through the draft. A DL and a good corner would see this a real good draft, no matter what else happens. Those two positions should be priorities. We can draft an RB wherever AJ decides he needs to pull the trigger. They are always around in the first five rounds. We find one good RG as an FA we improve a great deal. A RT would be gravy. Clary played well. Erik Robertson is a guy I'm looking at to step up this year.

15. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    You guys have a lot of cap room, but you are also staring a lot of expiring contracts in the next couple of years. AJ probably needs to lock up Merriman, Castillo, Rivers, etc......that is where a ton of that cap space probably should be dedicated to.

Maurice Williams would make your OL a much scarier outfit. That dude is a mauler.

16. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Aw, bullcrap. You can't wear Tommy Bahamas in the winter in KC, or anywhere else except Phoenix or Miami. :icon_shrug:

17. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    That is a good point. Take care of the core and we dominate for years to come. Don’t sell out for a shot at one chance, when we could be the next dynasty. Ok, I’m getting a head of myself…I know, one win at a time.

18. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    we have to lock up merriman, rivers, and I think castillo and/or oleshanky. We wont have much to make a big splash in Fa but we could sign some cheap back ups. I think we could use a healthy Zach thomas or a FA safety to step in.

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We have no need to spend money on FA linebackers. Safety, if we can get a good one and line depth, if we can get a good O Lineman or two without breaking the bank would be good ideas. Otherwise, we have a cap friendly draft that will enable us to lock up more home boys.