1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL still trying to FORCE 18 game season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, May 2, 2011.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    NFL still forcing the 18-game season issue - CBSSports.com

Despite the NFL currently being busy fighting tooth and nail in the ongoing labor battle with the NFLPA, the league is still willing to put a spotlight on the idea of having an 18-game regular season. An 18-game season is an idea that most players hate vehemently and most passionate fans hate generally (more on that in a second).

But league spokesman Brian McCarthy tweeted over the weekend, “At fan forum, @nflcommish (Roger Goodell) asks fans, do u want 2 pre and 18 reg season games? 56-4 say yes.”

So 56 out of 60 fans at this private forum told the NFL they wanted a longer regular season. That prompted the website Pro Football Talk – which is super popular with hardcore fans and league insiders – to put up its own poll asking readers if they want an 18-game regular season. As of Sunday afternoon, of the 10,000-plus people who responded, 64 percent said NO.

What’s the difference between PFT’s poll and the league’s poll? In the PFT poll, fans were not casting their votes in a room with the most powerful man in football watching them. And while we don’t know what was said during the NFL’s fan forum, it’s probably a safe bet that fans casted their vote sometime shortly after Goodell preached to them what he feels are the merits of an 18-game season.

Some of the fan comments on the site are so Dead on.

Bengal Bruce
    Level: Superstar
    Since: Sep 8, 2006
    Posted on: May 2, 2011 7:43 amScore: 113
    I really can't believe so many fans on here are pushing for an 18 game schedule.

The 16 regular season game format is so PERFECT! Sure the 4 Pre-Season games don't mean a thing and can be boring but it gives the coaches a way to evaluate young players in a real world setting. I for one like to see the younger guys who are on the cusp of making the final roster play their hearts out.

I also think an 18 game schedule will end up opening a giant can of worms. It's a just a plain fact that there are going to be more player injuries which will probably lead the NFL to raise the 53 man roster. More players = more money spent on salary which will probably end up leading to the owners raising the ticket prices.

So in the end more players are going to be injured, fans will end up having to shell out even more money to see football, while the owners and Goodell are laughing all the way to the bank.

And this also is DEAD on.

Spiderweb
    Level: Amateur
    Since: Mar 14, 2011
    Posted on: May 2, 2011 2:35 amScore: 99

It a "no-brainer" that adding 2 regular season games and eliminating 2 pre-season games is in no-way equal in regard to players playing time, intensity of play, etc. The lost two preseason games will be those that are virtually played by a number of players who will never make an NFL roster, or those who will be role players if they do, and the added games being played by the starters. Players already have a difficult time playing through an entire season, and have clearly come out against an expansion of the season. You sir are no superstar, You are adding two full intensity games to the starters. Use you head for something other than a hat rack.

--------------------------------------
    Fck a 18 game season RG! I knew there was somehting about you I wasnt gonna like. Took several years, but now I know your a selfish bastard in charge of my most loved sports franchise of the world. Roger *the prick* Goodell.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The NFL wants the 18 game schedule because, no matter how many fans say they're against the idea, they'll still fork over the money to attend the extra games.

3. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I'd be ok with an 18 game schedule if the teams were allowed to expand their roster past 52. It seems like that would be a compromise the Union would be willing to look at.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^Co-Sign^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Wouldn't it have been nice to have 18 games last season? Bet we would have won the division with 2 extra weeks.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Not if we'd repeated the Cincinnati debacle.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Or watched the special teams blow two more games

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I remember when it was only a 14 game season, and there were less wildcard teams. The fact is, there's no compelling need to add extra regular season games..... the ONLY reason is more money for the league. The NFL realizes that they've pretty well maxed out the ticket prices, so the only way to make even more money is to add games.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No. They are adding no games last I heard, just turning two full price, fake games into full price real games. I am for that.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Don't fool yourself into believing the preseason games are just as much of a wear and tear on the players as the regular season games are. There's a reason you're referring to them as "fake" games.

I understand not being satisfied with paying full price for preseason games but it'd make more sense to just cut the price on those tickets. But that would mean less money for the NFL and, as I said earlier, they know fans will pay for the extra games en masse despite not agreeing with it.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's adding regular season games, Conc. Everyone knows that players only play part of any preseason game. Heck, we had guys like LT that almost never played in the preseason. Going to 18 games is adding two games, since as you say, the other 4 are fake.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    As a season ticket holder I already pay FULL PRICE for ALL games, inculding pre-season. Under the proposed 18 game schedule, I'd be paying for 1 pre-season & 9 regular season.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So? You said it was only for money. If they are adding no further games, and preseason costs the same as regualr season your statement is incorrect.

As far as people playing, so what. All the Colts players who have been in the playoffs just about every year for the last decade havent had their carreer cut short by extra games have they?

I am all for doing away with as much of puke season as possible.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Hmmm... I look at the post I quoted and I dont see anything about wear and tear... So what exactly are YOU refering to?

As far as wear and tear I call bull SH!T! Playoffs are extra games and no one has had their season cut short because of that wear and tear. You guys come up with a new red herrin to throw out already.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Season ticket holders are not the only ones who buy tickets.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Playoff games aren't going to go away with an 18 game schedule.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Really. Thanks for the 411. I am glad you are up on common knowledge.

Clue to you. You are talking about wear and tear on a player. Players who are on playoff teams play extra games. Teams like the Eagles, Colts, Pats etc are sonsitently in the playoffs. Thus their players are always playing extra games...

How many of them have fallen appart due to wear and tear?

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    How many of the preseason games sellout? If it wasn't for the season ticket holders who have to buy them, how many would they sell? Of course it's about money...... it's always about money.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    And that changes the cost of the games how?

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    For Chargers, none. For other teams quite a few. However that does not in any way support your argment. Regular season games do not always sell out do they?

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So lets cut to the chase. The main reasons give why we should not go to an 18 game schedule so far are:

1) Tradition... We have 16 who are they to mess with it.
    2) wear and tear, though players often play more than 16 games on successful teams.
    3) NFL to make more money though they add no more actuall games.

1) I dont care much about, people will resist change just for the sake of resisting something
    2) Is total BS to me. If anyone can prove me wrong and provide objective evidence I am listening.
    3) Sorry, that dog just dont hunt.

Edit: of course this is the opinion according to Conc. I dont know sheet, and dont work for the NFL so who gives a steaming dukie...

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    And now those players on playoff teams have to play 18 games and then playoff games on top of that.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that more games = more wear and tear = more injuries.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    It doesn't change the cost of the game. It changes how many non-season ticket holders are going to be willing to pay that cost.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    You don't think they'd sell more tickets for "real" games than they do for preseason games?

The usual 16 regular season games are irrelevant to the discussion. The point is, they'd sell more tickets for those added regular season games that used to be preseason games.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Bullshit reason. You'll never catch me using this one. I was in the front line arguing against idiot baseball traditionalists that didn't like the change to the current playoff format.

Now non-successful teams have to play 18 and the successful teams have to play 19-22, when in the past a Wildcard Super Bowl team only played 20.

But more people will buy tickets to a regular season game than they will to a preseason game. It doesn't take a genius to figure this one out.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Just for the record... in response to one of the fan comments in the OP. The equating of larger rosters = more players = greater salary expenditure = higher ticket prices doesn't hold water... at least not in the sense that it's intended to. The single greatest determining factor driving ticket prices is demand from the fans and the owners and their economic advisers will (and do) calculate the absolute break-even point whereby they've maximized revenue through finding the most a fan is willing to pay for a ticket... and still actually buy it.

Now let's not be naive and believe that "maximizing revenue" means the highest price by which they can still sell out games. For some teams - the ones that have waitlists on season tickets - this is the case, but for most maximizing attendance and maximizing gate revenue is not always synonymous.

But then... I think we've played this economics game around here before, haven't we? So here... here's my horse-beating stick.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Think of this Conc....... the Chargers get off to a slow start every year while having 4 "practice" games. Imagine how well prepared they'll be for the start of the season with only 2.

That's got to be a good thing, right? ;)

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Good to see we agree on that.

You still have not been able to prove that more games will end careers. While I have show a prime example that extra games do currently happen and have not sent the cream of the NFL to an early retirment home. I am a fan of the game and want as many games as I can get. Players will not fall to peices if their teams make the playoffs. In fact I would argue a larger roster could have a vast benificail impact on the qulaity of the game.

Not necesarrily so. There will still be blackouts, teams that are already sold out (Dallas, Green Bay, Redskins, Bears etc.) will see no influx of cash. So perhaps we do need a genius because your thinking is off.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Wow... So the Chargers will always get off to a slow start, no matter what we do. So why have four puke games?

I will take two, then we can get the slow start out of the way. Since it is inevitable that it will occur.