1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Sunday Ticket......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Jan 26, 2009.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    With the exclusive rights contract for Direct TV running out at the end of 2010, any chance that they will lose out on getting a new contract signed? Currecntly I have Verizon Fios package and am extremely happy with them and I am paying for basic service to DTV just so I can get the NFLST. I tried to get them to provide the ST without basic service but they won't budge. Even though I inquired about it back when they offered it 3-5 years ago. I was misinformed by a rep and that has cost me thousands of dollars having service with them over the years. Would love nothing more then Verizon getting a contract or them opening it up to all cable carriers.

:icon_shrug:

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    The NFL opened up the bidding for the right to carry ALL NFL games. DirecTV was the top bidder and the NFL awarded them the exclusive contract.

Unless the NFL decides to offer the games to all providers (cable, sat & fiber), I don't see them changing anything. The highest bidder will once again get the contract.

DirecTV's customer service sucks, plain and simple. I've had them since 2000, but they still beat cable. However, I do know they've always forced subs to get one of their basic packages before allowing them to subscribe to NFL ST.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I expect DTV to do the same thing they did last time the contract came up: make a retarded offer the NFL can't pass up to keep it exclusive.

(but I'll keep praying cable finally gets a crack at it, and I think now that everyone will have swithced to digital, maybe, just maybe, there's a shot)

4. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    DTV will do everything it can to keep the exclusivity... if they lose it they will probably collapse.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +687
    If someone else gets the exclusive contract, it will have to be a company that offers service in ALL markets.

If Verizon got it for instance, then many markets would have no choice. It is not offered my area since I live in an ATT market.

If it goes cable, then it can not be exclusive to 1 company. The only other exclusive choice would be Dish Net.

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Looks like the possibility is there to not be so exclusive. Here is what they have in .....Ohhh Canada.....

In Canada, NFL Sunday Ticket has been made available on a non-exclusive basis to the following satellite and cable providers:

Bell TV
    Star Choice
    Access Communications
    Cogeco
    EastLink
    Persona Inc.
    Rogers Cable
    Shaw Communications
    Vidéotron
    Westman Communications

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    That's because DirecTV does not (and probably can't) do business in Canada. I remember awhile back when there were people selling hacked DirecTV receivers & cards from Canada. Since DirecTV didn't do business in Canada, nothing was done intitially. DirecTV worked something out and the Canadian government started prosecuting.

In the USA, DirecTV has the exclusive right to NFL ST. Outside the US, not so much.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +687
    A lot of things are going to change on the NFL landscape from 2010-2011.

Uncapped year.
    DTV Contract
    TV Contract. $3.735 billion/yr

Economic landscape might not make those contracts as big $$$$. Will be interesting to see what kind of numbers will be talked about which could change the DTV contract.

9. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Which is exactly why cable should try to get into the mix. I'm sure they lose a lot of business because of directv (I know I don't have cable because of Sunday Ticket). That would be a great way to eliminate a competing entity.

I would gladly switch over to cable if they had their version of Sunday Ticket. I don't like how directv nickle and dimes you to death.

10. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    This is why DTV will do whatever it takes to keep their exclusivity..it is a matter of survival for them.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Cable is worse when it comes to nickle/diming you. I'll still take Time Warner's RoadRunner for internet access as it's the fastest in my area. But their TV offerings are weak, at best. Plus, they will charge you for each box you have.

As was stated earlier, DiretTV and Dish network are available Nationwide. Cable is regional, so if Comcast wins the bid and your area has Time Warner, you're SOL. Same goes for the fiber providers, AT&T and Verizon.

12. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I would have to think that the NFL would get more money if they struck a deal with all of the major cable networks. Instead of just dealing with Directv. More parties = more money.

With the success that Directv has had I'm sure that those cable companies would jump at the chance to get on board.

Regarding the nickle and diming part. I don't recall the cable company ever charging me the way Directv does. In my case, I initially got their regular service. Then, we wanted to upgrade (I hate those fuggin Beyonce commercials) to high def and so we had to purchase our own boxes. That's what 200-300 dollars a box depending on whether or not you want hd-dvr or not. Then on top of that we had to pay for HD-programming. Okay no sweat I thought as long as I can see my bolts in high def...But wait, I tune into the game and notice that I don't have access to the high def version of the game...NO, for that I have to pledge my allegiance to my team, the league and Directv by becoming...A SUPERFAN. That's right, I had already paid for high def service and I had to pay another fee to get high def football games. And then they have the nerve to show those damn Beyonce upgrade commercials where she's rolling in all of our hard earned money telling us to UPGRADE?

13. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Wow, that seals it for me, I won't go with DirectTV if that's how they run things. It sucks that I don't get NFL Sunday Ticket, but I get free HD (like $5 extra for an HD box, $10 for HD-dvr) so I get the watch the Bolts in HD and I get NFL network. Good enough for me!

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I agree with you if the NFL were to spread it around, they'd probably make more money. Remember when the MLB package was going to be a DirecTV exclusive as well and people like John Kerry got pissed? Back then I said it would be better for MLB to have the exposure on cable, especially since their season is so long.

Charging $100 more for the Superfan option just so you could watch the games in HD is stupid. I'm actually thinking about dropping NFL ST as I'm only able to really enjoy it 9 weeks out of the season; and those 9 weeks are when Chargers are away or have their bye week. The other 8 weeks I'm at the stadium.

You could have pressed them for a free HD-DVR when you upgraded. But that involves playing customer service roulette. If you get a CSR that's smart, they'll do it. If not, forget about it.

But, to get the same package I have with D* on cable just isn't possible. DirecTV's HD looks much better as well.

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    All this talk of DirecTV customer service being crappy... I've never experienced it... I will consider myself lucky?

I :wub: DirecTV so much - omg.

Our bill is only about $100/mo, we have HD dish and service with an HD-DVR box in the living room, regular DVR in the bedroom and regular non-DVR box in the spare room. All our boxes were free, the regular DVR box from our initial installation and the HD when we upgraded they gave it to us free with purchase of HD service. We also have Showtime [for Inside the NFL, Weeds and Californication].

NFL Network is like heaven... and I HATE Time Warner so I will never switch back :yes:

I would gladly be anyone's "refer a friend" if you want to make $50 and switch to DirecTV :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I think you're paying the same what I'm paying per month. When the newer HD-DVR's came out, I bought mine at Best Buy but with the credits I received, I wound up making money. Got the 2nd DVR from Costco. Other rooms still have the older non-mpeg4 DVR's that can't see the 5 sats so we don't get all the channels on them. I'll replace those with just receivers soon.

But DirecTV's customer service reps are NOT the best. Head over to dbstalk.com and check out some of the threads there.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I have Sunday Ticket, and Field Pass for the HD signal. It costs a fortune, but what else can you do when you want to watch your team? Going to a bar every week would cost me more in the long run, so I'm stuck with forking over loads of money to DTV. I've never really had any problems with their service though. I had a great installer, who actually came over to my house on his Sunday off in order to install the HD satellite. I live out in the boonies so it wasn't exactly an easy drive for him either.

Now Hughes.net, that's bad customer service. Horrible scam they're running there. Unfortunately, once again there really isn't a whole lot of options for people who live outside of metro areas that need high speed internet.

18. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm in charge of the financial and purchasing in my firehouse and we have Directv. We had it because cable switched us from a residential rate to a corporate rate. We loved the NFL ST but along came FIOS. It was way cheaper...plus we got online service virtually free. So I called DTV to cancel and told them why but told them how much we love the Sunday Ticket. So they told me the way around it is to suspend the account from Jan to Sept. They send me no bill for these months and then we just reactivate the account in Sept. We do have to get the basic package for these months but not all year around. So call and ask about supending your account during the off season. They let us do it...in fact it was the guy on the phone from DTV that told me to do it. That might save you a little. I'm going to do it at home myself.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +687
    I did the DTV HD Upgrade. Sent them an email and just threw the Dish Net ad at them. Told them I would leave unless they gave me some free ****. Got a reply the next day.

1 phone call later to a special 800 with a code, and bingo. Free HD DVR, install, and got a damn credit on the HD service fee for a year. :icon_banana:

I love DTV and their CS has always been good in my experience. They always get good ratings on their CS reviews as well.

20. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the info but I already did that last year and will be calling them at the beginning of Feb. I forgot to put that in my original post and didn't feel like editing it.:icon_shrug:

21. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Didn't know that could be done. Thanks for the tip.
    :tup::abq2: