1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL teams facing tough decisions with franchise tag

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    10 NFL teams facing tough decisions with franchise tag

5. San Diego Chargers.

The recent consternation regarding the question of whether running back LaDainian Tomlinson has a future in San Diego arises from the question of whether Darren Sproles can become the team’s every-down answer to the 2006 NFL MVP.

Unless the Chargers use the franchise tag on Sproles, he’ll likely join a growing list of skill-position players to walk out the door on San Diego.

So to keep Sproles from joining 2008 AP offensive player of the year Drew Brees and 2008 MVP finalist Michael Turner as former Chargers who made very good elsewhere, the Chargers might have to use the franchise tag to keep him around.
    With or without Tomlinson on the team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...g=packnflteamsfacingtoughd&prov=tsn&type=lgns

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The Chargers have tough decisions but I can't imagine logically they'd even think about franchise tagging Sproles for the simple reason that it gives him front line starter money at a time where our cap space is getting tighter and tighter and our needs are growing more and more

• Like Like x 1
  3. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I too can't see tagging him...price tag will be way too high and we have higher priority guys to think about (see Rivers, Phillip and Merriman, Shawne).

• Like Like x 2
  4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    No way should we franchise him, I love having the guy around and he's a contributor, but I honestly can't see the market being in his favor. I can't see a line forming to grab him as anyones feature back, anyone who watched the steelers game would probably steer clear of starter money offers (i know the steelers run d is beast but that is the game he couldve made a huge contract). If he signs elsewhere it's going to be for the same position he already has, and I think we would be able to compete price wise with anyone hoping to fill in a hole at a third down back, kr, pr.

It's unfortunate for him as he should be paid, if talent, and heart were the two key components he would be among the highest paid atheletes on the field. I didn't like letting Turner go, I think everyone knew what we had on our bench with him, and that he was destined to run wild for some team as a starter, I haven't heard anyone praising Sproles with the same verbage. I'm sure it will come down to money, but I don't think he's gonna break the bank with another team.

• Like Like x 3
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    A big part of it is if LT really does restructure his contract, we may be able to keep Sproles.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    But even with LT restructuring his contract, how much will Sproles want?

• Like Like x 2
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't know but seriously we can't afford to break the bank to keep him here

8. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    There was a sum of 6.6mil for the season mentioned somewhere if he is franchised.
    LT may restructure to allow us to sign the lineman, ILB, SS or Merriman that we all know we need.
    But for his money to go towards a crazy sum for a bit part player (no matter how exciting) would surely be too much of a slap in the face.

• Like Like x 1
  9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think it comes down to which team offers him the bigger role, but I can't see how you can promise a player a starting role when they've never done it before. Espescially such a small player in the NFL.

I'd say we got a 50/50 chance right now, if LT opens up some cap room we got a 65/35 chance of retaining him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Sproles will never be a every down back. We all know that. But what he can do is very rare and good. This is welker times 10. We know what we have. You don't loose that.

Ladanian will hopefully give up alot of his money. Geez. He'll never have to work again if he retired now and live like a king. But he has to give up enough money so we can keep sproles and get two better free agents. HOpefullly saftey and d-end/d-tackle. Otherwise we could survive without him. And very probably be a better team with landing two better free agents.

I'm having to guess LT will restructure. I can't imagine him wanting him to leave his cushy life in san diego.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think that he'd leave for a legit chance to win a SB. And I don't think that he's buying into AJ's method for winning one any longer. :no: