1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL to end $100M in revenue sharing

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Updated: December 6, 2009, 5:20 PM ET
    NFL to end $100M in revenue sharing

By Chris Mortensen ESPN

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was fined at least $100,000 in September for violating a gag order by suggesting that revenue sharing was on its way out.

Turns out, he was only tipping the owners' hand.
    In a significant move that could impact the flow of money to potential free agents and the competitive balance of teams, the NFL has notified the players' union that effective in March, owners will pull the plug on the $100 million-per-year revenue-sharing program that has subsidized lower-revenue clubs, multiple sources said.

By Tuesday, the NFL Players Association will challenge the move with an NFL arbitrator, special master Stephen Burbank, claiming owners can't terminate the revenue-sharing model without the union's approval because it was adopted into the 2006 labor agreement, which doesn't expire until March 2011.

Management counters that the supplemental model pertained only to salary-capped seasons; 2010 is scheduled to be uncapped.

Burbank is a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania who is responsible for resolving collective bargaining disputes between the NFL and the NFLPA. Approximately eight to 12 lower-revenue teams have qualified on a yearly basis to draw from the supplemental pool. The $100 million fund is part of $6.5 billion in revenues shared by all clubs.

"We are simply going forward on the terms the union approved in March of 2006," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

In the applicable section of the 2006 collective bargaining agreement, it reads: "The revenue sharing program described to the NFLPA by memorandum dated March 10, 2006, has been determined by the NFLPA to be satisfactory. Any material modification to that program must also be reasonably satisfactory to the NFLPA."

A management source said when the owners chose for an early opt-out of the labor deal, triggering an uncapped year in 2010, it opened the door for the supplemental pool to be disbanded.
    Lower-revenue clubs that have been subsidized under the supplemental plan will not be subject to the minimum spending rules that exist with the current salary-cap system.

According to NFLPA spokesman George Atallah, "Revenue sharing helps maintain the 'any given Sunday' dynamic in the NFL.

"The amount of money some owners propose to pull out of the system in 2011 could mean the difference between playoffs and blackouts for many teams," he said.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Great. With this combined with the possibility of getting rid of the cap, they're trying to turn the NFL into Major League Baseball.

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    NFL owners are only a shade less arrogant than the CEO's of health insurance companies.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    if this is true the Bolts might have to move to LA to stay competitive with the cowpies, washington, pitt and the rest of the teams that want to spend the big bucks:no:

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'm hoping it's simply a tactic to help get a new CBA in place sooner than later with some concessions for the owners...

>< i hope

6. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    That or sell the team to Jack in the box so they can afford all the players and **** by having jack in the box advertise everywhere... imagine the san diego Jacks..

[​IMG]

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Jack in the Bolts:icon_shrug:

8. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    It has a nice ring to it:icon_huh:

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I have almost completely lost interest in baseball because of their ****** system. A handful of teams are in the race for the playoffs every year, and the rest have to have everything go right to have a shot. I hope NFL owners are smarter than this.

10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Don't count on it...hope the union is better in Football than baseball.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    If I didn't love the game itself so much I would have quit watching baseball years ago due to their ****** financial system.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same here.

If this ends up turning the NFL into MLB, I'll be watching CFB only.

Oh wait .... the BCS sucks too. :icon_evil:

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Greedy owners are going to eat their golden goose then cry in their folly...

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Then get involved with youth Sports, they play because the LOVE the game.I see some great games. Too bad the parents think everyone of those kids is going to the Pro's.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    CFB is the worst system in the existence of organized sports.

It's the only organized sport where three teams can go undefeated and have zero shot at a championship.

16. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    it looks like just posturing to me. the owners will play this like a fiddle in the new cba negotiations.
    they'll say the low revenue teams cannot possibly afford what the players want to be paid and use that as the starting point of negotiations. then when they can't come to an agreement the owner's will look like they are making a concession by re-introducing the revenue sharing aspect.

17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I coach a U-14 boys soccer team, it's great fun. We have a big tournament in Temecula this weekend, and my team is pretty good. Looking forward to it! :tup:

18. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    My gut tells me this is the owners pulling a couple of poker chips off the table now only to put them back on during the next bargaining session.

I feel the same way about the '18 game season' idea. I figure the owners will say 'OK OK, we'll stick with 16 games but the salary cap will remain at $110M for 5 years.'

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    My son's U10 Team took 2nd place. After the season started, I dont think we had 6 practices the whole season where we had the entire team show up for practice.