1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFLN Reporting Mathews to Miss 4-5 Weeks with MCL Sprain

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Sep 15, 2014.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This is actually pretty good news. Anytime you see an RB carted off, it's likely to be a season-ending injury. Might get Ryan back before the bye.
    [​IMG] The Mighty 1090 ‏@Mighty1090 8m
    NFLN reports that Ryan Mathews sprained his MCL and will miss 4-5 weeks. #Chargers

2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Brandon Oliver might actually get a chance to play now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    I questioned the Brown signing at the time, but in TT we should all trust!!

GO C/-/ARGERS

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Blessing in disguise--Mathews will be fresh and ready to go for the second half of the season, when we will need him the most. Remember, he faded quickly towards the end of last season due to being used so much.

This only backfires if the injury costs us a game or two in the near future, but honestly, a backfield of Brown/Woodhead is nowhere near the close to the worst in the league, even among playoff contenders. I would take this duo over the running backs of the Donks and Patriots, just to name a couple.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    He had better work on his ball handling & retention fundamentals while he’s rehabbing!

With is speed & power, Ryan is a decisive weapon in this offense and if he’s fresh & reasonably healthy for us in the playoffs, he could make a huge difference and help us beat even more teams that we are not expected to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm actually wondering if the Chargers might look for another RB on the waiver wire, one that could help with returns....LaMichael James?

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    If we’re going to do that, then why did we bother to keep Oliver, and put Grice on the practice squad?

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Exactly....... James is a totally different type of back. Not a Mathews replacement at all. Oliver would be a better choice for that role.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If this is true, we are talking about the tight lipped Boltstag here, his injury return could work out in the Bolts favor going into the second half of the season. Who knows, he could be the spark that ignites the second half Bolt inferno blazing their way towards the playoffs.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Idk about that Steven Ridley is pretty good, he just fumbles too much

12. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Over the next month we need to see steady improvement in the running game. They have to do better with the running backs we have. I think we should start Brown and keep Woody in the fold. I just don't think Woody is that good of a feature back. At least Brown has the size and strength to carry a load. Frank Reich and Mccoy has to get this running game going. Half the battle is play calling. Do they really think we can run effectively out of shotgun? We don't have Lesean Mccoy making the first person miss everytime back there. We have to go back to a traditional offense. If we are in shotgun defenses will know basically we are passing. More two tight end sets and split backs and I formations. We can save the Shotgun for certain situations

13. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I live in CT, and frequent a waterhole for Massholes. They want Ridley cut, by and large, and wonder why he is still on the team.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    LOL hurting yourself fumbling

15. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Could have been much worse, we need Mathews in December. He's a good back, he not perfect but we are better with him this season, than without.

I hope Brandon Oliver gets a few carries and shows well.

16. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Guessing this Sunday we get a heavy dose of, "What can Brown do for you?"
    Oliver surely gets reps with the first unit during practice but I think the coaches need to focus first and foremost on working Brown into the #1 RB slot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I was really looking forward to a face off of Mathews v. Spiller on Sunday,
    since C.J. was the unquestioned "best running back" of that 2010 draft class.

Mathews, despite all the injuries, has kept pace pretty well, through 9/16/14:
    Yards per carry: Spiller 5.1, Mathews 4.4
    Best season: Spiller 1,244, Mathews 1,255
    Rushing yards to date: Spiller: 3,143, Mathews 3,802
    Receiving yards to date: Spiller: 1,090, Mathews 1,087
    Yards per catch: Spiller 7.6, Mathews 7.7
    Yards from scrimmage, to date: Spiller: 4,233, Mathews 4,889

Spiller has shown flashes of brilliance, like the big return, 2 days ago,
    but it's unusual for a Top 10 draft pick to not be the
    unquestioned RB starter within a season or two.
    Mathews' career certainly hasn't been what San Diego fans had hoped for...
    but the "bust" label some tried--repeatedly--to apply, certainly doesn't fit either.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Just for the record, Mathews averaged 46.8 yards per game the first 5 games of 2013.
    He averaged 106.8 yards per game the last 5 games of 2013.
    (including his best game ever, 144 yards, in the final game of the regular season)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I will admit this makes the pick up of Brown seem damn near clairvoyant, not to mention grabbing both Oliver and Grice. Mathews could very well lose his starting position again to Brown (who seems to be making a habit of beating out a team's first round RB) but there would be some value in having him healthy for the second half of the season. This would also allow us to see in greater detail whether Oliver was the better person on the roster over Grice. Still Mathews needed a big year to even be considered for a long term contract and these two games aren't winning him any favors. He's amazingly talented but the issues are still there in spades.

20. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Mathews is that China doll that keeps breaking every time he gets knocked over......not really his fault.., that's just the way he's built.
    Makes me look back and realize how so damn lucky we were with L.T. :cool:

21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    LT was a freak...almost no back can withstand an injury comparison with him.

I don't think think that Mathews is "China doll" at all, if viewed rationally by the standards
    of NFL running backs. How, for instance, does his durability compare to other backs in
    our division? The Broncos haven't had anyone last long enough to even be a valid comparison.
    Chiefs, Jamaal Charles = 174 carries per season in the NFL,
    Raiders, McFadden = 147 per year.
    Ryan Mathews = 212.5 carries per season.

Running back is an inherently dangerous position. Injuries are the norm.
    Mathews is only a "China doll" if compared to a mythical or unrealistic ideal...or a freak Hall of Famer like LT

22. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    But he did go down in the game we needed him the most, especially against a Manning-led offense that we needed to keep off of the field. But you are right, I should not focus on one game.

But this lead to the bigger issue at hand: a team should not depend on a single running back to provide offense unless they have histories of being extra-resilient.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think it was more the nature of his injuries that give the fans that impression. Breaking a collarbone on one of his first plays, and then breaking the other one in the same season.... that's unheard of. Mathews injuries tend to be of a "freak" nature. This last one was created by his own fumbling and a teammate falling on him. Just an odd play.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Mathews was injured before that game though. It was completely unrealistic for the coaches to think he would be at all effective. The problem, was that we had no Plan B.

25. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Agree! Mathews has all of the attributes but is made of glass. This last injury is because he fumbled the ball and tried to recover and got jumped on by Royal. We could easily be looking at 0-2 if the Seahawks had recovered those two fumbles! Let's face it, an L.T. type back is very rare. It's time to use Mathews when we can this year and offer a minimal contract in the future.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The only problem with Tomlinson is, when needed most he was hurt/injured and couldn't go. These guys today can't seem to make it through the demands of an NFL season and the days of the feature back is in the rear view mirror or so it appears.

27. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    It will be a rough 4-5 weeks. Mathews is a huge piece in this offense. And these 4-5 weeks will show TT what life will be like without Mathews if we don't re-sign him after this year. Donald Brown does not have the talent Ryan Mathews does. But it's not a significant fall off because Brown/Woodhead will get their touches throughout that time frame and we should be ok.

28. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    No I think having Mathews now is better. They didn't use Mathews all game long on Sunday. Most in the first quarter and was looking to finish with most in the 4th quarter. I think MM is well aware of keeping Mathews ready for post season so the fact that were missing Mathews at all sucks. But I like your optimism!!!

29. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm worried. I feel like our ability to move the ball on 1st and 2nd down is greatly decreased without Mathews, and we'll be looking at more 3rd and 8s. We saw a lot of it in the Seahawk game during Mathews' spell, and somehow we got away with it against the best defense in football....but I wouldn't bank on it in the future.

I wish Donald Brown could avoid contact better, but he's more like a pinball, and I don't think he has the speed to reach the edge like RM does.

30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Geez, I hate to sound like I'm just contradicting every damned thing,
    here, but I think even this idea, has kind of been exaggerated.

Yes, LT definitely had his worst injury luck in the playoffs, but he was 100% healthy
    for a lot of games "when needed most" to reach the playoffs!

And even if you just look at the playoffs, really 2008 is the only season in which
    he made no significant contribution (just 5 carries in 2 games).
    Despite the ill-timed injuries, LT still had almost 100 playoff carries:
    (26 in '04, 23 in '06, 28 in '07, & 12 in '09).

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 7.44.38 PM.png