1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFLPA's Smith calls out Dr. Chao in Super Bowl press conference

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    NFLPA exec DeMaurice Smith, referring to Dr. David Chao, says Chargers players "deserve to have a doctor not found liable of malpractice."

DeMaurice Smith singled out Dr. Chao in NFLPA press conference. Wasn't asked about him directly.

I'm told NFL Players Union has asked the league to find a suitable replacement to Chargers team doctor David Chao. Story coming shortly.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Err umm... rad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    While I agree and will be overjoyed if/when Chao is given his walking papers - if for no other reason than it hopefully brings someone more competent and capable to help keep our players healthy. I do think that the hyperbolic position being taken by the NFLPA is absolutely hysterical in how hypocritical it is.

I've recently read comments from both the PA's president, Dominique Foxworth, and their head rep, DeMaurice Smith, both slinging mud at the league for "caring more about their bottom line than player safety." If this were quite the case they're trying to make out then the league - who had an IMMENSE amount of leverage in the last collective bargaining dispute - wouldn't have conceded the kind of medical benefits (lifetime comprehensive medical for any player who makes a single game day active roster) if this were the case. But moreover, the hypocrisy comes from the fact that the majority of the players themselves have been operating with this same mindset they accuse the league/owners of ("financial bottom line/gains of greater import than player safety") for quite some time. Players have gone out of their way to hide injuries from their coaches and team medical staff at a considerable rate - and while yes, some of it is "the competitive spirit" and the player wanting to "tough through it", more often it's because this league is a "what have you done for me lately?" environment, where - well... just look at Alex Smith, lost his starting gig and is now likely to find himself out of contract and searching for a new job because he got injured, the guy below him on the depth chart got an opportunity, and said guy seized said opportunity and never looked back.

I'm not trying to sound like a coldhearted bastard, but I'm merely interested in fairness all around. How exactly is it fair that the league isn't allowed to put earnings potential before player safety without being vilified and the players' own union & players themselves are without expectation of similar repercussion?

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    I assure you this will ENSURE that Chao stays as the Chargers doctor, and that's the worst possible situation

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Only reason I could think of that the team might go along with it, is if they can peg the "incompetence" the NFLPA is keen to label Chau with as a means of getting an outside evaluation of Gaither when/if he claims another phantom injury - could possibly open doors (if players really are keen on ensuring better safety for themselves - which I doubt, this is merely another attempt at a leverage grab and another bargaining chip) to preventing the kind of "legal fraud" that players like Gaither commit wherein they sign a lucrative contract with a good chunk of guaranteed money and then suddenly "lose the drive" to play through injury that they had when they were in contract years.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    The problem is that even though Chao is clearly incompetent, even though he has enough black marks that if he were an attorney his license would be suspended, he will remain because of what the NFLPA has done. No matter how valid Smith's claim was, this has now turned into a power play where the NFLPA is trying to maintain a veto into the decisions of team doctors, something that no owner will allow to stand. Spanos and other owners will likely back Chao on the sole ground that they are fighting something more than just to protect a single doctor but that they will not lose any more power they think they might've or might lose. Ergo, Chao will stay.

And the sick irony is that if Chao is dismissed based on sure incompetence then any injury claim against Gaither goes partially out the window because now your team doctor, your strongest witness for the 'fraud' that was his injury has proven himself to be incompetent (even if he was so already). Doesn't matter that other doctors were brought in to investigate, the main fault and blame will be on Chao and therefore on the Chargers. If Gaither would then REALLY want to play his hand he could (and might have a strong case to) sue the Chargers for negligence in not only hiring but continuing to keep Chao in his position (anyone think Dielman might have a reason or two to get involved in that?)

I agree with Smith and I agree that Chao has no right to be the doctor. Having said that, this just ensured that Chao not only won't get fired but that it will turn from a simple competency issue into a greater issue of principles and power.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    LOL...... you actually think the Chargers would ever have removed on Dr. Chao on their own? :laugh:

10. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I've been tweeting with Shawne Merriman, and he has a suspicious tweet, i asked him about it, and gave him the story, and he said "well i guess where theres smoke, theirs fire", then i asked him about his experiences with him and he just said "lets just say i liked him as a person"...that really doesn't sound good....

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,779
    The NFLPA may have brought this up due to pending litigation concerning Gaither and smearing the good doctor before hand makes their case stronger. Beating the bush to jump the rabbits up and getting players to speak out against Chao and misdiagnosis concerning Gaither's back issue would discredit his testimony in court.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Really?........... you can't be serious.

Chao is a quack and should be barred from practicing medicine, but this is all some elaborate scheme by the NLPA to prevent Gaither from being found guilty of faking his injury? :cautious: :rolleyes: :roflmao:

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,779
    We're not speaking of a ham and egg-er like you, we're talking serious dollars not your average Burger King Bounty.
    Anything is possible for the right hungry fry boy ambulance chaser.

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I know the NFLPA makes sure the players safety and money comes first but I doubt they would play part into some elaborate scheme to help a dude fake an injury just so he can get paid to do nothing.

I honestly believe it may help us in this case. The NFLPA is looking to help bring somebody in, someone new, who is unfamiliar with the Gaither situation. If he comes in and runs test and says there is not anything wrong with him then it may help the Chargers.

15. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    Seriously, the NFLPA declares a witch hunt and everyone lights a torch?
    In Gelkin's article, some key Boltz players complimented Chao on his surgical skills and IIRC McCoy has already brought in a new training staff to (hopefully) deal with the high rate of injuries that have occurred the past few years. I'm sure we all feel sorry for the woman with the hip problem and the other with frostbite, but what do those lawsuits have to do with Chao as team doctor and surgeon?

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Well the fact that he was convicted shows that he's probably not a very good one. Not all doctors are saints, like in any trade there are some people that just get lazy and careless or irresponsible once they start getting comfortable.

And to be honest it sounds like Chao has a lot of "off the field issues" if you will.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    I don't eat fast food, so I'm not sure what you're babbling on about.

If you think that NFLPA policy is being set by Jared Gaither, then I suggest you need more sleep.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    You're forgetting the man who had his leg amputated because Chao botched his surgery. I'm sure he feels better knowing that some Chargers think he's a good guy. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Why do you think they call it "practicing" medicine? ;)

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,779
    You are quite the odd bird. I think Chao should have been replaced years ago without the gripes of the NFLPA. Now, wouldn't the NFLPA have a hand in Gaithers defense for defrauding Spanos of millions of dollars???? Setting the table beforehand is always a good choice, I don't know if that's what they're doing but something is going on and that's for sure.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Odd, because I don't frequent burger joints? :laugh:

The NFLPA is asking for independent doctors to evaluate players during the games. Their stance on Chao is consistent with their call for changes with the medical supervision.

You don't think that it's just as likely that Charger players have complained about Chao in the past? Who do you think allowed Dielman to get on an airplane after he had a concussion? Do you think there are other team doctors with multiple malpractice offenses? I would think that the NFLPA would hear things from players that they wouldn't feel comfortable saying publicly..... or to the staff.

I just find it odd with all the :poop: surrounding Chao over the years, that you would assume this has to do with Gaither of all things. Frankly, I think he's the poster boy for questioning just how concerned the owners are about the players health. If a guy like that can stay employed, it weakens the owners position on the issue.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Chargers doctor under review, per rules of the CBA
    Posted by Darin Gantt on February 1, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
    The NFLPA’s request that the Chargers’ team doctor be removed is currently in the middle of a review mechanism put in place under the rules of the CBA.
    Commissioner Roger Goodell cited Article 50 of the collective bargaining agreement, which calls for the establishment of a Joint Committee on Player Safety and Welfare, which is made up of three representatives each from labor and management.
    “Article 50 states that if there’s an issue with any medical decision or the medical professionals of a club,” Goodell said. “There could be a resolution by meeting with independent doctors, I believe, three different doctors including an NFLPA attorney, and they will review the matter.
    “As I understand it, that’s exactly what’s going on in San Diego, so we’ll allow the process to unfold. But I’m comfortable our doctors make the best possible decisions for the players. We’ll stand behind that, we’ll engage in the process, and we’ll let it unfold.”
    While the NFLPA said the Chargers “deserve better” than Chao, who has been sued for malpractice and has been investigated by the DEA over record-keeping issues.
    But Chargers center Nick Hardwick, who is also the team’s union representative, told Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego he “completely” trusts Chao.
    Quarterback Philip Rivers echoed those sentiments Friday, saying: “I can only speak of my personal experiences: a successful ACL reconstruction and a meniscus repair, along with other ailments which he provided great care. I have no complaints of the care Dr. Chao has provided me.”
    According to the CBA, the NFLPA has a right to request an investigation by the Joint Committee “if the NFLPA believes that the medical care of a team is not adequately taking care of player safety.”
    That’s where we are at the moment, with the process playing out as spelled out in a document both sides agreed to.

23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    Every DeMaurice opens his mouth I just want to punch him. I don't care what he's talking about, I just can't stand that grandstanding jerkoff.