1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL's five weakest rosters

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...e-weakest-rosters-jacksonville-jaguars-at-top

1. Jacksonville Jaguars

New coach Gus Bradley's best player, Maurice Jones-Drew, is entering a contract year while coming off Lisfranc surgery. Leading receiver Cecil Shorts carried injury concerns into the offseason after two concussions in three weeks prematurely ended his season. Left tackle Eugene Monroe and right guard Uche Nwaneri are solid, but the offensive line lacks legitimate solutions at the other three spots.

In a down year for available veteran quarterbacks and draft prospects, incoming general manager David Caldwell had little choice but to publicly back Blaine Gabbert. Barring a tradefor the unproven and underwhelmingMatt Flynn, Gabbert will have another opportunity to hold the offense hostage.
    The roster on the defensive side of the ball in shambles. The Jaguars cut ties with three veteran cornerbacks --Derek Cox, Rashean Mathis and Aaron Ross -- and also dumped starting strong safety Dawan Landry. The defensive line has produced no pass rush to speak of, finishing last in the NFL with just 20 sacks in 2012. Without free agent Daryl Smith, the linebacking corps is among the league's least imposing.
    Draft needs: The Jaguars are the rare NFL team with a need at nearly every position. Their first priority should be finding a franchise quarterback, and the front office reportedly is intrigued by West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith. Beyond that, the most glaring holes to address in the early rounds of the 2013 NFL Draft are at cornerback and right tackle.
    2. Oakland Raiders

Upon inheriting a roster in salary-cap hell a year ago, Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie immediately began jettisoning veterans with bloated contracts. The biggest impact of those losses has been felt on defense, where the Raiders are doing a complete overhaul. Aside from left defensive endLamarr Houston, the entire front seven is gone from last season. It doesn't get any better in the secondary, where Oakland has parted with its four top cornerbacks from 2012.

Quarterback Carson Palmer isexpected to be released at some point this offseason, signaling a sea change on offense. The unit will be built around running back Darren McFadden, who just happens to be one of the most injury-prone stars in the NFL.
    While there is some promising young talent at wide receiver, the cupboard is bare at tight end. It doesn't get much better on the offensive line, with only left tackle Jared Veldheer and centerStefen Wisniewski as long-term answers.
    Draft needs: This will be McKenzie's first real shot at the draft. He was without picks in the first, second and fourth rounds last year because of the previous regime's ill-advised trades for Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell and Joseph Barksdale. Staring at a future with Terrelle Pryor as the quarterback, the Raiders are another possibility for Geno Smith at No. 3 overall.
    If McKenzie goes in a different direction, there are enough needs to go with the best player available regardless of position. The secondary, pass rush, offensive line and tight end should top his wish list.
    3. New York Jets

Aside from the obvious error in the previous hard-headed commitment to Mark Sanchez as the franchise quarterback, the Jets' offense is devoid of reliable playmakers.
    Career backup Mike Goodson appears to be the favorite to start at running back. Wide receiverSantonio Holmes' health is a major question mark after he had Lisfranc surgery. The Jets also lost starters at both guard spots and tight end.

If the Jets find a way to keep Darrelle Revis, they can field a respectable defense with the addition of two edge rushers at outside linebacker. Unfortunately, a Revis trade appears to be a matter of "when," not "if." The run defense also took a hit with the loss of Mike DeVito to the Kansas City Chiefs.
    Draft needs: As with the teams listed above, it all starts with the quarterback. The Jets' brass reportedly came away very impressedwith Geno Smith after spending time with him in mid-March, but they might not get a shot at him with the ninth overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. The top needs otherwise are at outside linebacker, safety, offensive guard, tight end and running back.
    4. Buffalo Bills

The Bills' quarterback situation is so ugly that new coach Doug Marrone couldn't even remember his backup signal-caller's name. While running back C.J. Spiller is one of the most electrifying playmakers in the NFL, he needs help in the form of two wide receivers and a tight end. Already in need of a right tackle, Marrone lost his best offensive lineman in guard Andy Levitre.
    [​IMG]
    Win a chance to announce a pick live at the 2013 NFL Draft. Enter now!

Buffalo's defense looked like one of the worst units of all timeearly last season before showing modest improvement down the stretch. New coordinator Mike Pettine has interesting building blocks on the defensive line, as well as one of the game's best safeties in Jairus Byrd. The trouble spots are the linebackers, cornerback depth and strong safety.
    Draft needs: While all of the teams above have a quarterback need, the Bills are the only one virtually guaranteed to draft one in the first or second round. If Geno Smith already is off the board by pick No. 8, Marrone could instigate a trade into the back end of the first round to reconnect with Syracuse's Ryan Nassib, a favorite of NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell. General manager Buddy Nix has acknowledged the need for a pass-catching tight end, and there's also a vacancy opposite Stevie Johnson at wide receiver. Nix should target offense early in the draft.
    5. San Diego Chargers

New coach Mike McCoy won't have to find a starting quarterback, but he realizes his mandate is to fixPhilip Rivers, who set career highs in interceptions thrown (20 in 2011) and sacks taken (49 in 2012) the past two years. The good news is that McCoy has enjoyed success in his NFL career with disparate parts such as Matt Moore and Tim Tebow.

Where the Chargers need a massive rebuild is on the offensive line. Following Wednesday's release ofJared Gaither, the Chargers' only semi-reliable starter on the offensive line is declining center Nick Hardwick. McCoy also must coax a comeback season out of an aging Antonio Gateswhile hoping no other team snatches up restricted free-agent wide receiver Danario Alexander.
    The Chargers have several defensive building blocks in young linemen Corey Liuget and Kendall Reyes to go with safety Eric Weddle and inside linebacker Donald Butler. The problem is depth. Previous general manager A.J. Smith left too many holes to fill in one year.
    Draft needs: The Chargers desperately need an impact offensive lineman with the No. 11 overall pick, and there's a good chance they will get one with three top left tackle prospects and two elite guards in this year's draft. General manager Tom Telesco might have to go back to the same offensive-line well in the middle rounds before adding depth at cornerback and linebacker.
    Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

2. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    I dont think our roster is so great but bottom 5? no way... what am i missing? i feel like im taking crazy pills :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Well I am not sure. We have lost soo much offensively. The D looks like we have some young guns that could be good, but how many of our young guns have been flashes in the pan?

I cant believe I am saying this, but the Chargers are simply vanilla when you look at the roster. I dont think anyone is worried about us, especially with the mess the OL is. The cap situation AJ left us with doesn't help either.

4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    I think our defense is pretty talented with multiple studs on every level... then on offense yeah our offensive line sucks but we do have talent at the skill positions.. im not saying we are in the 1-12 tier but id put us in that middle of the road 13-22 tier when it comes to talent on the roster

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    I am just not sold on our offensive talent. Gates is getting old, no one has stepped up to replace him. Receivers, we keep waiting for one to step up, but injuries or something else prevents it. RB... Mathews is a huge question mark. The kid has the talent to be a top 5 back IMHO. But he hasnt put it together yet. He runs straight lines rather than juking, etc... I think this team is solidly in rebuilding phase, and sadly, Rivers will probably, like Fouts retire with a lot of stats but no ring.

I dont see the new staff changing that this off season, but hope they prove me wrong.

6. hash_tag_nat

hash_tag_nat KISS THE RING.

Ratings:
    +5
    idk about bottom five nfl.com
    then again, the colts were probably on this list last year, and at the top in all honesty. now? not so much

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Not sure about bottom five but you can never tell on paper. I would say it is not a playoff roster and call it a day.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Disagree entirely. We have a lack of depth in a number of areas but a good group WRs, some fantastic defensive playmakers, a damn good QB and a deep group at safety. What exactly makes us on par with raiders or jags?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    It is, what it is!

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Good group of WRs? Come again? When did we get those. We have been hoping for Floyd or Goodman to step up and be a #1, but they cant stay healthy, and cant out physical the defenders. We have a gaggle of average receivers, with a sprinkling of old vets.

If you look at our roster, it is not the stuff champions are made of.

11. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Floyd is quietly a low end #1 or a very high end #2 wr in my eyes.. you can pencil him in for 800 yards and 6 tds, Danario stepped up huge and really put the team on his back the whole second half of the season, everyone involved with the team was really high on vincent brown having a breakout year and it looked like he was about to until the injury but hes back this year, throw in eddie royal who IMO is a pretty talented slot wr and meachem who had just a horrible year but IMO hes a 1 trick money who just goes deep and to defend him its kinda hard to go deep when the offensive line cant even give rivers enough time to let meachem get down field... if we dont make the playoffs this year i doubt we'll be looking back saying it was because of the lack of talent we have at wr

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I remember everyone getting on my case last year when I said this team doesn't have the pieces to play against the Falcons, Ravens, 49ers (play off teams) still doesn't. So I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

(Let me start off by saying I love my Team, I eat sleep and drink my team, Not a moment goes by where this team isn't in the back of my mind, I wouldn't be here on this great site, if I didn't share the same loyalty and passion as you all do.)

Our O line is terrible, regardless of if we get Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson. We're going to have 5 guys trying to play with each other in a new system for the first time.

Outside of Butler, Weddle, Reyes, Liuget, Cox, and JJ we have a question mark at every other position on can they play? that is 5 spots with huge ??????? marks and no depth at any position.

Analyst tend to go off yesterdays news, and yesterday we had a QB who had no protection and the past 2 years has not been his old self, what looked to be a declining TE, No pass Rush, one of the worst secondaries in the league, a group of WR's who barely got a combined number of 1,000 yards, Bubble boy as our RB with 2 broken collar bones, The worst O line in the league, Every embarrassing, historic play last year was done by another team playing us, 4th 29, Manning and Bree's comeback wins, NEED I GO ON?????

Honestly the writer probably put this together by saying " Hey Ted, anyone on this team make it to the Pro Bowl Last year? No?!?!? Alright then, we have our 5th worst roster"

The truth is, it's still March. Until the draft and Free agency are over, it's a little premature to rank any team with the best or worst roster, seeing that's where you build your roster? :tdown:

But anyways thanks for letting me vent, Go Bolts!!!!:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    But I fear that you are reviewing the output of the receivers through rose colored glasses. How many times last year did any receiver come back in a blitz? How did they help rivers when he was under pressure? Hey I love this franchise, but honestly, I dont think we have the personnel to take the division. It goes far beyond the OL. AJ lived of the reputation he got with the Manning trade, and it caught up with us. None of our receivers would be a #1 on most other teams. We are dearth of talent on the offensive side of the ball now.

We can agree to disagree, hopefully you are correct and I am wrong. But I don't see this team doing much this next season because we lack the players to do anything, and the free agent signing while nice are not ground shaking by any means.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    not saying we have the roster to win the division but at the same time no way i think we have the 5th worst roster in the league.. 5th worst roster would have something like a 4-12 record this season id be shocked if we dont win at least 6 games this year... talent and production to me is different i believe we have talent that just hasnt produced on offense last year but thats just me .. dont mean to annoyingly keep going back and forth with you but hey theres nothing else to talk about or debate this time of year haha

15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]

16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I agree with some, we do have a weak roster at the moment. I don't know what some people see in our team. I'm as optimistic as the next person, but we have a whole lot of holes at the moment. I can't see us being that good this year. It takes a few years for a new HC and GM to get the roster they want together to be successful.

I see a very average team right now, even with the draft. Unless we find a few players who drop significantly because other teams are reaching and what not.

We have a franchise QB, who has digressed the past 2 seasons. We have questions at RB, Ryan Mathews is our best back, and he is injure-prone, we have no #2 back. At WR were very average. Malcolm Floyd is a #2, and thats all. Danario Alexander is a potential #1, but he is injure-prone. Vincent Brown looks talented, but means nothing if he's not on the field. Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem are toss up's at the moment, and Richard Goodman is nothing but a kick returner, offers nothing in the receiving game. Antonio Gates is digressing, but still effective. Offensive Line is a mess at the moment. Simple as that.

The defense looks very promising. But again we can say we have "young studs" but their not proven. Kendall Reyes, Corey Liuget, Melvin Ingram, Donald Butler, Jarrett Johnson, Derek Cox, and Eric Weddle are the only players on defense who can be effective. We have absolutely no depth behind these players either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Our WR corp is 10x better than the garbage we had in 2010 when Rivers lead the NFL in passing. Difference is, he had a descent OL in 2010. Could or WR's be improved? Absolutely. But it is not an immediate need, not as long as the line is as terrible as it is

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    I know it isn't good, but I don't think it's bottom 5 either.

The WR situation is not good, and the CB situation could also use 1 more starter. The biggest issue is the O-line. If we could even get a middle of the road O-line then we wouldn't even be bottom 10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    Why do I keep hearing things like "the cap situation AJ left us with?" Isn't Ed McGuire the guy doing the contracts and acting as capologist? Would our cap situation be his doing?

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Many of these bigger Cap numbers such as Meachem and Gaither were AJ telling Ed "do what ever you have to to get it done"

Then you look at the bigger picture where there was no pressure fitting 19 FA's under a 20 million dollar CAP
    or this year 5 FA's in a 7 million dollar CAP

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    But it seems that it's Ed's job to manage the cap. If we are in cap hell, that would seem to be an indictment of McGuire, though that doesn't fit with the blame A.J. for everything crowd.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Again, how many of the WRs ever came back to the blitz? That speaks to game awareness. I am not sold that our WRs are as dynamic as some think they are. The whole O can be improved. If it is not, we wont go anywhere with the division improving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    I agree with what you are saying. We have talent, it is just that the team has not been playing up to its level (defensively). Offensively, I am really worried.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As I said, yes they can be improved, but until the line improves, we could have Fitzgerald and Calvin at WR and our offense will still struggle

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    What's there to worry about? :confused:

It's not like they're going to win anything anyway. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is, but he doesn't control who we hire, and anyone who thinks the GM is completely hands off when it comes to money is crazy. The GM has to know how much a player is demanding or they can't plan for who else they can get. AJ must have known how much Gaither and Meachem were going to cost, and had to have signed off on it. McGuire works for the GM, he doesn't just do what ever he wants, throw money around where he feels it should, these are all decisions made by the GM and directed down to Ed

27. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I don't really know how it all works, but I would think that AJ tells Ed who he wants to sign, Ed lays out a number of possible scenarios on pay options, etc. Then AJ and Spanos indicate which they prefer. Ed then talks to the players agent and an agreement is worked out in principle. I would expect that AJ and Spanos would have to sign off on the contract details. So while Ed negotiates the contract, it isn't official until the GM and owner sign off on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Agree

I think the owner or even baby Spanos had to know the pending cap situation. If McGuire had done this without their knowledge then I think he should have been fired. You would think with the cap space left they would have a decent roster at least.

29. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Please .... enlighten me. A couple of studs overall - absolutely. Multiple on every level? This I need to hear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Well ill start off by defining a couple for you. a couple = 2.

Corey Liuget is dominant force already and Kendall Reyes is one of the best young d lineman in the league... Donald Butler is a STUD at mlb and Melvin Ingram was the best pass rusher coming out but didnt get many opportunities so we'll see what hes got this year... Eric Weddle is the best safety in the league and Derek Cox had a passer rating against him of 69 last year and 44.5 the year before that which ranked 11th and 1st among cbs.. so yeah i think we have 2 studs on the d line 2 studs in the defensive backfield and 1 or possibly 2 at lb if melvin lives up to his hype