1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL's five weakest rosters

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I said couple. You said multiple. I think of multiple as >2.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +595
    You did say multiple.

I agree with most of what you are saying. Eric Weddle is for sure top 5, he could arguably be the best FREE Safety. Still think Ed Reed is amazing at his age.

Donald Butler is a stud, still needs to work on a few things, but he needs to play a 16 game season again, and I need a 100+ tackle season. I want my ILB to be around the ball at all times. We know about Corey Liuget's breakout season, and I expect an even better one in 2013, and hopefully Kendall Reyes can build on his solid rookie year.

Yeah, Derek Cox's numbers are nice and all, but he needs to stay on the field. And hopefully Melvin Ingram has a solid season at LOLB, he won't be going against tougher pass protectors like he did at ROLB, but Pagano I think has to disguise him and use his versatility a little better.

We could have 4-5 solid players on defense, but last time I checked, defense contains 11 players. We need 11 solid players in unison with each other.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +896
    Understood. But Ed McGuire's job is to manage the salary cap situation, is it not? So if we are in "cap hell" doesn't it have something to do with him? If he just did whatever he was told by A.J., then why do we have a contract negotiator/capologist? I'm not saying A.J. is blameless, but pretending like it's all his fault just because it's in vogue to demonize him just seems silly.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715
    I don't think nor did I ever believe we were in Cap hell, More like average. Looking at teams like the Steelers, Jets, Cowboys, etc. the teams that either cut or restructured players were in Cap hell. We do have a few bad contracts but that is on AJ and the players he brought in more so than Ed just handing out bags of cash.

5. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +172
    I thought i said a couple i musta got confused reading it on the other comment but yeah all im saying is i believe we have a lot more pieces in place than the other teams on this list

6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Fair enough, & I agree on the guys you listed. I just don't think that we're as talented as some still want to believe, nor quite as bad as the article stated.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Absolutely, i does have something to do with him, and in all honesty, only he, AJ, and the Spanos family know how much.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    We are in "Cap hell" not because of how much cap space we have, but more about how many rosters spots we have to fill with the available cap. We are really in roster depth hell because a few of the starters we let walk, we should have had someone to fill in for them, but that doesn't exist at any position except for maybe one of the CB spots

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715
    That's the scariest part, The fact that we have so many holes to fill so little money and from the outside looking in it doesn't appear that they're trying. I know they're doing what they can and what they think they should do, But this whole time they're just been so quiet, it's been a little concerning.

When it's all said and done we still have @ 7 million left, I would imagine we're not going to use that until after the draft, but that isn't until a little less than a month away 26 days 8 hours and 19 minutes (But who's counting :) haha) But anyways my question is

Would you rather use the remaining of that money for 2 really good players (Shaun Phillips, Alan Branch) or 7 (Rich Ohrnberger's and Fozzy Whitaker's) ?

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Depends what happens draft day. I am not in a panic, but I also have already accepted that 2013 is a mulligan year while they fix our cap and roster issues that they inherited. As long as we should we have young players making improvements this season, i will be somewhat happy knowing that our future is bright. Panicking and making moves fro the immediate can really screw the team for the future, and I would much rather have a down year this year and get back on track in 2014 and beyond.

With our cap and roster situtaton, and the fact that the Broncos had very few positional needs (A couple upgrades, but no glaring holes), more cap room, and simply a better team, the Chargers couldn't do ANYTHING this offseason to be a legitimate contender for the division. Anyone who thinks differently, is simply not living in reality

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,486
    I agree mostly, but I think legitimate starting LT and LG would make the entire offense look more like it did in 2010, when they put up huge numbers without any big name receivers.

Then its just up to the defense and STs to maintain what they were last year. D-line depth can be found, a SS can be pulled off the scrap heap, but replacing Shaun Phillips is going to be a bitch.

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715
    I know I'm probably alone on this island but I still think Melvin Ingram would be best suited as an ILB. I knowthat would hurt us even more at the OLB position, but even in South Carolina Ingram was most effective rushing up the middle.

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,486
    I said the same thing before the draft last year but really what it comes down to is the creativity of John Pagano. I'd like to see us run more 4-3 where we can put Ingram in the Von Miller role, maybe even some 5-2 where we stretch out the O-line and Ingram plays some DT, but regardless he needs to be on the field at all times to be effective.

I really hope Melvin puts in some work and develops that edge burst, because like Liuget in '11 he was just blah for most of last year. (Actually 'blah' would have been a compliment for Liuget in 2011, he was attrocious)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +595
    I don't even think Melvin Ingram had a bad rookie season. He didn't get a whole lot of snaps, and he still got 21 QB hurries, mainly coming at ROLB, where he faced elite LOT's.

You line him up where Shaun Phillips played this year, he will be a better edge rusher and run defender. But yes, John Pagano has to utilize and disguise him more often. The guy has crazy athleticism. He lined up everywhere in college. So, let's take advantage of that.

15. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +161
    We've got plenty of holes to fill. Other than the obviously stated 4 of 5 spots on the O-line, there's two starting CBs to replace, a starting safety and one starting OLB. Our WRs are a disaster area. We have plenty of #3 and 4 types but no true starters... Alexander was an excellent find but he has no track record of success, Floyd and Brown and Royal are known for getting injured and then there's Mr "I-drop- TD- passes" Meacham.

...and I won't even mention all the Question marks our RB situation has.

So I think yeah... we're pretty thin on talent.

16. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +161

Shiiit Conc.... EVERY Charger QB has retired without a ring... and from the look of things the new GM and HC have a lot of work ahead of them.

We have had so many players on this team over the last two decades that were really great... LT, Rivers, Seau, Harrison, etc... none won a Lombardi. Are we cursed or what? We went through a period when every writer in the country was picking us to make the Super Bowl and we always seemed to find a way to blow it. Now They're all saying we suck and have little to no talent on the team. How times change. Thanks a F of a lot AJ.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +595
    We're thin on more depth than talent. We have talent, just no depth, and in the NFL, if you don't have depth, your gonna have a very hard time winning in this league.

You can thank AJ Smith for not believing much in depth behind players. That's what happens when your in a win it now type situation. You reach in the draft, Your not disciplined in free agency, and that effect's your team in the long haul.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I am not saying I expect them to be terrible by any means, or that I would even be OK if they were. I just don't expect them to be a playoff team

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Thats why we should have never let he or Norv get to the point where they were lame duck's who must win now. The players don't listen (As Matthews stated on NFL network this week) and they end up reaching and making huge mistakes that set the entire org back years. Imagine had we replaced them 2 years ago, there is a chance we could be going into the 2013 season as a legit contender, which we aren't after 2 years of failure on all levels

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Reading back, I believe you said Liuget was a poor pick because he was better suited for a 4-3.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,486
    Yep and he was, I actually liked the Reyes pick much better and figured he'd eventually beat Liuget for the starting job in 2012. But Liuget did an amazing job changing the way he plays the game after his predictably horrid rookie year, he could have easily turned into bust, I admit I didn't have faith that he could do it.

22. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Goes to show how unpredictable draft picks can be & that folks who declare picks a bust after only there rookie year are pretty laughable. That wasn't meant for you - just in general. The guys who are legitimately NFL-ready coming out of college are few.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

This pretty much says it all. There's not one person on our offense who opposing defenses have to respect, or who is an impressive playmaker. With Tomlinson slowing down/moving on after '08, Gates slowing down after 08, and Jackson moving on last year, we just don't have anyone who forces opposing defenses to scheme to stop them.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,753
    It really doesn't matter where the Bolt roster is ranked at this point of the season. What is important, is what the new coaching staff can do with the players in place and those the new GM will acquisition through any means available.
    Great coaching can get the best out of average players which is in desperate need in Dego. Above average players are just icing on the cake and lead out on the field. JMHO.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I heard a great line this weekend when I was listening to a podcast about the history of the Mongol Empire lead by Genghis Khan, it was:

"An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep."

I found it very cool and i instantly thought about the Chargers being lead by Norv early in his career :)

26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
  27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,138
    Of course. We could semi-rely on him to sit on the sofa sipping non-diet soda...

28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Poor bastage is gonna get paid to do the same this year. You're right though: he's the model of consistency.

• Funny Funny x 1