1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nice Turning Point!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Nov 26, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Today was not a good start but had a nice finish!

I did something I've never done before a home game. When my alarm went off, I got up and hit the snooze button. :icon_eek:
    Take it that I had a late night and could have used a few more hours of sleep, still... usually once I'm up, I'm ready!!!!

Then I got to the parking lot around 8:30 and it was empty. As the day went on, the over all feeling was deflated. Even the warrior fans (that's how I refer to Lightning and his friends) couldn't seem to muster up much energy to do their pregame rally (partially due to lack of feed back).
    As I had discussions with them and many other hardcore fans (not bandwagoners), the topic of the discussions was "this is not a team." Flat out, everyone was fed up with the lack of passion and heart we've seen through out most of the season!!
    A lot of anger towards AJ and Spanos was stated and though we are ALL true fans, most were less than thrilled to be there.

After the game, it was a different story. Everybody realized that the Ravens are nothing special but we we saw some passion and heart!!! The Donks loss was a nice added touch too!!!!
    ALL OF THIS REALLY REKINDLED THE FIRE!! :bolt:

I can say that "I feel confident going into Arrow Head this Sunday!" I actually feel confident about the remainder of this season and the post season BUT... THE RUNNING GAME MUST RETURN!!!

LT had that great 20-30 yard run but still, we haven't seen him break as many great plays as he has over the past seasons!!
    Michael Turner needs to be out there more often as well (especially if we're going to keep running up the middle and powering through the line)!

If we get some 100 yards rushing games, Rivers WILL look even better than last season!!! :bolt: :yes:

GO CHARGERS!!!! :bolt:

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Pass protection looked much better yesterday but our run blocking is what I'm worried about.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yup. If we're going to the playoffs and going to stand a chance of advancing, that HAS to be fixed!!!!

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    it all starts with our defense.

for once we saw some energy from that side of the ball.

:tup::tup:

6. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    run blocking looks bad, i noticed it looked like we changed to zone blocking broncos style then man to man, i dunno if someone has already said something about this but i havent read it

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Every team this season has declared "Tomlinson will not run on us" by stacking 8-9 man fronts and run blitzing like crazy daring, BEGGING Rivers to beat them. Yesterday he finally punished a team for doing so.

I don't care how we win, just win. Play with passion. Desire. Attitude. CONTROL. PATIENCE. TEAMWORK.

We need LEADERSHIP on the FIELD. Merriman and Rivers both need to STEP UP. This is their team. They need to lead. They are our future.

It's not over yet.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We need the running game back to manage the clock and take pressure off the passing game.

Especially if we're going to make the playoffs!!!!

9. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I don't know if it's really a turning point, as you say the Ravens are nothing special...in fact less than that, no longer a half way decent team...but a couple more games will tell us for sure.
    Strange you mention a lack of passion on the part of game goers...yesterday was the first game I've been to since the Bears (due to the distance I live, it's a four hour drive one way) I was mentioning that the whole parking lot seemed allot more subdued than it used to be. I was beginning to think it was my imagination.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I was referring to the turning point of the over all general atmosphere. We'll have to return home at 8-5 before I'm convinced that we're onto something.

No, it wasn't your imagination. :D

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Don Coryells offense did include zone blocking and I was thinking the same thing that Norv has brought it here. Our O-line play sure looks different this year.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    People people people... do not drink the Kool Aid. If this team has shown you anything it's that they have an innate ability to shiit the bed right after they seemingly have turned the corner.

It was a win against a bad football team in ideal conditions. Win two straight on the road in hostile environments and I might take a sip.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    ^^^ Truth.

[/thread]

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't mind the "Zone" blocking. Just don't copy the "CUT" blocking the Donks use.....:no:

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I thought you were going to sing an old Depeche Mode song nickelbolt!
    :lol:

16. JBerrier

JBerrier BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Unlike most of the NFL, the Chargers are still a throwback team, Run To Set Up The Pass. If we can establish LT and MT early in a game, I think everyone will be amazed how easy the passing game comes along.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes: :tup:

My neck hurts from agreeing with this post so much!!! :yes: :D

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I don't know any Depeche Mode songs.

THANK GOD!! :lol:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I don't think anybody is drinking anything but with the way we played (even though it was what you say it is), we just have a good feeling about going into Arrowhead.
    If we pull that one off, I'll feel good about going into Tennessee too.

With five winable games ahead, if we can pull off 11-5, I'll feel good about going into the playoffs as well.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    The biggest problem with our running game is Rivers. No team feels threatened by him this season, none. So they are just sending 9 guys every play and stuffing the rb. Until yesterday, Rivers hasn't struck fear into a defense. Then we scored 3 td's on passes and guess what? running lanes started to open up. What a novel concept?

Right now, we have to PASS to set up the RUN. Only FEAR of the Chosen One's Lazer Rocket Arm will stop defenses from stacking the box.

It's up to Rivers to LEAD the way.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Quite true. Teams are saying with their defensive game plans that we're one-dimensional - as LT goes, so go the Chargers. They play to stop LT. Look how Ray Lewis was shadowing him yesterday.

I believe that we now have the receiving corps to do some damage. You can't tell me that Gates, Chambers, & VJ/Naanee/Buster don't stack up pretty damn well to Moss, Stallworth, & Welker. So we've got to hurt teams with the pass like we did yesterday. That's when we'll be able to use all of our weapons effectively.

The KC game in Arrowhead will be a much better indicator of where we are as a team, IMO. My wife's a KC fan - need I say more? :lol:

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Hardwick's first game back was decent enough and the OLine improved. He must have had three pounds of tape on the ankle. Week to week, with him back, the line should begin to get more and more solid. Withrow is a good player, but he doesn't have Nick's mean streak. I expect KC to be knocked back on their heels and occasionally on their keesters by this crew on Sunday.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm glad to have Hardwick back but I really hope our o-line isn't that hapless without him!! :icon_eek:

24. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I wouldn't call them helpless, but he seems to have changed the whole attitude with his return. I can just bet the mortgage that he must have been stewing in bitter juices watching what was going on in the games. I would not have wanted to be on the other side of the LOS from him last Sunday. Might just be coincidence, but the whole line was crisper and made more fewer mistakes and blew fewer blocks. I also suspect that if Olivea is moved inside next to him, he will be far more effective because Shane has an attitude, but he's built for Guard . A mean spirited RT tackle would be my first priority for free agent acquisitions if no one is id'd in the draft.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: I love it. "Mean Spirited"...

Maybe we can get one that will not only shove his foot up someone's ***, but also "Boo" them after he does it.

26. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    A Blue Meanie Fat Boy.
    :tup:

27. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I want us to draft a vicious prick at right tackle, then move Olivea to the be- I mean right guard. But who doesn't want us to do that?

28. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    It's hard to say how much the run-blocking has regressed. We've faced a lot of very good run defenses thus far, much more so than 2006. Same thing happened in '05. Remember how Philly shut down LT?

It is not always just on the O-line; LT needs to take a lot of the blame. He is a finesse back who never runs through people, so it only takes one player to bring him down. Sometimes LT needs to man up and just put his head down and accelerate into the hole.

I wish more people would take a look at our running back, and what he could do better to counteract how teams are defending us.

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    LT might occasionally duck out of bounds are avoid a hit, but he's not a finesse runner. He runs hard into the hole and breaks plenty of arm tackles. When he has leverage, LT will lower his shoulder and knock a defender back. When he does not, he'll drop to the ground and avoid a big hit. That's one of the reasons that LT doesn't miss games due to injury.

I think LT has made some mistakes this year. Even he will admit that there were a few big plays to be made that he did not make, where he cut the wrong way or allowed himself to be tackled by a lone man in the open field. But these things come from him pressing too much to make a big play.

LT is averaging more yards from scrimmage per game than any player in NFL history. I think that's hard for a "finesse" RB to accomplish.

30. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Norval is consistently failing to scheme ways to get him beyond the line of scrimmage. LT is a multidimensional player, yet he is being used, with rare exceptions, inside the hash marks. They got a start last Sunday, but they need to expand on it.