1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Canepa » Meachem good, but Chargers offense will miss Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 14, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Robert Meachem is not Vincent Jackson. He’s good, and will just have to do in a pinch, the one the Chargers gave themselves by playing good cop and not signing a young V.J. when they could have years ago.

The violent winds of NFL free agency have blown the Jackson storm system to Florida. The Chargers’ Pro Bowl wide receiver and most dangerous offensive weapon is headed for Tampa Bay, where a 5-yard pass is considered a bomb. Look at it this way; he may average $1 million per catch, figuring he may latch onto 55 there over the next five years.

We know San Diego now has Meachem, the former Saint, who caught 40 passes last year for pass-happy New Orleans. He’s big (6-2), but not the physical freak V.J. is. It’s very difficult to say the Chargers’ offense will be as good as it was or could be with Meachem. In fact, it’s doubtful.

Although club president Dean Spanos made it sound as though he was going to do all sorts of neat things with payroll (most teams have kept their top wide receivers), Jackson became far too expensive for his taste. V.J.’s getting $55 million over five years, $36 million guaranteed, which is too much for a pass catcher.

But not for the Bucs. The Chargers could have afforded him. He might have taken less. But you just sensed long ago that they were going to part ways with one of the more dynamic receivers in their history.

This is not totally good news for the Chargers. I don’t think it’s good for GM A.J. Smith. I don’t think it’s good for coach Norv Turner. It can’t be great for quarterback Philip Rivers, for the offense, for the fans.

Good for V.J., who went for the money, which rarely can be considered a terrible mistake in a collision sport (but will he become the next John Jefferson, rotting away on a bad offensive team?) Good for his agents, who were gasoline to Smith’s fire. Good for opposing defenses. Good for aspiring head coaches and GMs who may want to work for the Chargers next year.

In the meantime, San Diego has released Pro Bowl left tackle Marcus McNeill, whose neck injury remains an honest problem. Humongous Jared Gaither, the pickup of the year who played so well last season after McNeill was forced to sit, is testing free agency.

They may try to re-sign McNeill for less money, they may bring back Gaither (which seems an absolute must now), but at present they’re left tackle-less and down two Pro Bowlers. And that is not good. Very bad for Rivers. Bad for Turner. Bad for the offense.

Good for opposing defensive ends and linebackers. Good for doctors.

The Chargers Monday re-signed free agent center Nick Hardwick to a three year deal. Good for the Chargers. Good for Rivers. But to Hardwick’s left on that offensive line one now can see a vanishing prairie. If they leave Rivers unprotected on his blind side, they can have Lance Alworth and Jerry Rice at wide receiver. Hard to get people the ball while unconscious.

Right now, they are not first in the AFC West. Smith isn’t done, but he has work to do.
    Big changes could come by tonight or tomorrow, because we’re literally hours into this free-agent maelstrom. Smith always has something up one of his Tommy Bahama short-sleeves, always a man with a plan, but there hasn’t been a time when he’s put his product at so much risk. I don’t know where he’s going, but there’s a land of uncertainty out there.
    I wonder if they will continue to look at wideout Laurent Robinson. They cut Robinson after camp last year. Robinson went to Dallas and had a big year (11 touchdowns). Norv is said to love Robinson. If so, why did he keep Bryan Walters (who they cut Tuesday) instead? Some evaluating. They could have had Robinson here for music. Now he’s hunting money. The Jags are interested.

Teams are kneading dough like mad bakers. Washington already has signed receivers Josh Morgan, Pierre Garcon and Eddie Royal. The Bills thought they had Meachem before the Chargers dropped in, but are said willing to spend even their Canadian money.
    Some teams have gotten better in a matter of minutes. The Chargers have not gotten better. It’s impossible to look at this and say they’ve improved. And no matter what occurs from here on out, it’s hard to believe their offense is going to be better, and that shouldn’t have been a concern.

They created the concern, and there was no real reason to allow desperation to set in. Jackson will make a ton, but the Chargers had the money. It also seemed as though Jackson’s off-the-field problems — two DUIs and a suspension — were behind him, although Smith is a worrier. But once again, because of money, they’ve lost a player they drafted and developed.

This is such an important year for this team and everyone in the front office. Here’s hoping they know what they’re doing. Because right now they’re nowhere close to being a complete football team.

I’m content to play wait-and-see. Smith always preaches defense wins championships. He’d better build a championship defense — and that’s going to take some money and work — because one of the League’s better offenses just became less effective.
    The Bucs didn’t make it happen. The Chargers let it happen.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/13/free-agency-is-under-way-but-bolts-get-worse/?page=2#article

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What is Canepas excuse for why the offense did fine without in in 2010?

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Canepa should switch to being a food critic. :rolleyes:

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    fruit salad.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    pablum

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bye VJ. Good for you getting all those greenbacks. AJ, you better make this work beeotch!

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't eat cereal, and I wasn't being trite, naive, or simplistic. I do believe you know what I mean, keep em straight up there!

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    1 thing I defo agreed with is that the Bucs overpaid. So in that regard I'm cool with it. Meachem ain't all that but he should be adequate in terms of keeping opposing D's honest. Still think we need 1 more because Malcom is made of glass and I'm not confident in Goodman coming in and scaring anybody. Did I hear Naanee is out in Carolina, someone like he would be a good pick up.

Fair play to you VJ, wish you all the best with the ManYoo money!.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    AJ made it work, now its Norv's turn to make it work

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    There should be a couple of "serviceable" WR cut to make room for all of these WR signings. Maybe AJ would bring one of these guys in on the cheap.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Lets agree to disagree. Meach is untested in our system as I said I will take a wait and see approach.

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yea 7+ and +1! Thats how SD has and will continue getting it done.

14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Depends on how you grade the WR's value........

[​IMG]

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Only to an extent. I'm not sure if you have the means to do it, Conc, but go back and watch the offense that Dave Clawson (and Phil Fulmer) ran at Tennessee - it's not a pure Coryell scheme (but then neither is Norv's) but it's got A LOT of similar elements. Meachem is a willing and accomplished run-blocker (that fits our scheme). The transition honestly isn't that different. Yes... we don't run the spread as often as the Saints do, but they go vertical just as much as we do and when healthy it was either Meachem or Devery Henderson who were the guys being assigned to those routes for them.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Seems I remember when several here wanted to draft Meachem. :rolleyes:

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Present company included. I remember him and Michael Griffin being at the top of my list

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Don't bring up wants... it makes me sad. I'm not even that glum about missing out on Oher (because I knew it was unrealistic) or Matthews (because he really wasn't being talked about as a 1st round pick) except for the fact that what we got instead was Larry English. The one I'm still salty about is passing on Earl bloody Thomas if we were going to trade up. Look, I love Mathews and his potential to really do some nifty stuff in this league, but unless you're getting a guy with CJ2K type speed who can also run between the tackles (the closest thing other than AP that's come along like that has been Marshawn Lynch - not McFadden despite the fact that Raider fans will insist he's still a great A and B gap runner - who still took time to mature into the position), you don't draft a Top 15 RB... much less trade up for one.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I picked Thomas in the mock that I participated in here that year as the Chargers' rep. We wouldn't still be looking for Weddle's running mate if we had followed that path.

Jes sayin'. ;)

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Imagine Thomas back there with Weddle, WOW.

• Like Like x 1
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    The thing I loved about Thomas is that he's basically Weddle/Gilchrist on (legal/by-virtue-of-genetics) roids. I was getting railed on Footballs Future at the time, but I was saying that if it came to an investment in the Top 5 pick necessary to acquire Eric Berry or a Top 15 pick invested in Earl Thomas, I'd take Thomas every time. And of course, how dare I question the infallibility of the God among DB's that was Eric Berry, but while Berry had the high floor and elite-potential ceiling AS A SAFETY, I saw Thomas as the more technically-sound, still athletically-gifted, and much more diverse player (seriously, Thomas could play boundary corner in the league right now - and I'm fairly certain the only reason Carroll's never used him in this capacity is that he has a preference for taller corners - i.e. over 6-foot). UT is kind of like LSU in the respect that it's a DB Factory - you may not always get elite prospects out of there (though they churn out plenty of those too), but you get guys who are fundamentally sound, above average in terms of athleticism (because ANYONE in Texas High School football - save for very, very select areas - is going to choose the Longhorns over another Texas program recruiting them), and they're pro ready because of the expectations of starting in the Big 12 (capable of covering in man and zone because of the amount of spread formations they face annually, capable against the run because of the number of power running teams they face annually, and capable of blitzing because every DC Mack Brown has had under him has shared Mack's affinity for constantly putting pressure on opposing offenses from all angles).

Honestly the only thing UT has going against it... is Sammy Davis. :mad: