1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Canepa: Chargers owe San Diego an apology

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Chargers owe San Diego an apology
    By Nick Canepa

Hours before the Broncos performed deconstructive surgery on the football-impaired Chargers, it was leaked that San Diego’s cadre, without announcement (it remains unannounced), had extended General Manager Tom Telesco’s contract for three years. Probably in August.

Hilariously, pathetically, a source told our whippersnapper beat guy Michael Gehlken the reason for keeping Taciturn Tom’s extension secret for months was the team didn’t want to “create a distraction.”

A distraction?

The unabashed torment the football team has put the city and its fans through since its year-long threat to move to Los Angeles hasn’t been a distraction, but re-upping a GM’s deal would have been? Are we to believe the players could have performed worse during Sunday’s 17-3 loss to Denver or in any of the other nine games they’ve blown had they been aware Tom was financially set for a while?

This organization has become unfathomable. Not only is it playing bad football, but its we-don’t-give-a-damn-about-you-off-the-field shenanigans have made no sense. Look, if they leave, they leave, but there’s no excuse to urinate on an entire city that has supported them for more than a half-century.

The Chargers, at the very least, owe this town an apology.

For teams that do things normally, showing confidence in a GM would be considered a positive and be announced without hesitation. But they now do everything to irritate — and that also includes how they play and coach.

After presiding over his latest debacle, coach Mike McCoy was asked about the Telesco deal and instead of saying, “I’d like to have Tom playing if he could run, block or catch,” he said he’s happy for the man who hired him. When pressed if he’d received a similar offer from the Spanoses, Mike said: “I have not been offered a contract; I’m worried about this week.”

At this rate, he doesn’t deserve to be offered a new deal — although this is as much Telesco’s mess as his — and he should be worried about this week, when his fife and drum corps must travel to Kansas City. The Chiefs clobbered them here on Nov. 22.

Maybe they’re better off away, where they don’t have to suffer tens of thousands of opposing guests in their own home as they did Sunday, when Qualcomm Stadium’s seats were filled with orange jerseys. The Chargers have lost six straight games at “home,” where they’ve been outscored 65-9 over their last 10 quarters.

But this, too, is a big part of what the L.A. threats have wrought. What fans they had left are sensing the lamest of ducks and selling off their tickets. If club management doesn’t care, why should anyone else? Our heads have beaten a hole in this wall without any remorse being shown.

Denver has an outstanding defense, but Sunday the Chargers didn’t come close to a touchdown on a day when the Broncos managed just 10 offensive points. The visitors got one on pick-six touchdown off a Philip Rivers interception.

Rivers, who had a miserable afternoon, had another interception for a score that was called back by a holding penalty, or that would have made it a half-dozen pick-sixes on the season, an NFL record. He had a passer rating of 57.1. He’s too good for that, but when you’re sacked four times, hurried more, and your rookie tailback is fumbling as though the football is an explosive, bad things happen.

“They gave us multiple chances offensively,” said Rivers, whose lucrative contract extension actually was announced in August. “We didn’t rise to the challenge. We had every opportunity to win the game.”

In a way, that’s true. Denver didn’t score after intermission. But every time the Chargers started something the Broncos either snuffed it or shots were fired into feet.

In any event, the season was lost long ago. The team is 3-9 and at times seems as defenseless as a child. It’s more than injuries now, and there were two more big ones Sunday — receiver Dontrelle Inman (neck) and corner Brandon Flowers (knee).

But it’s beyond that. If you watched this thing, the players tried. The obvious problem: They aren’t nearly good enough to beat an opponent of substance.

“Obviously, there weren’t too many bright spots,” McCoy lamented.

Which begs the burning question: Why the hell would star-struck Hollywood want or care about the homely Chargers?

Not even a sex tape would work.

sezme.godfather@gmail.com

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Aircoryell619

Aircoryell619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Honestly I think the city of San Diego should shift their efforts to showing the NFL that we are committed to keeping the NFL in town, but not necessarily the Chargers. The Chargers have showed us no loyalty after we have supported them all these years. The only reason that Spanos finds sharing the LA market with another team(s) palatable is that he feels that he won't lose all the fans his franchise has in SD. Maybe it's time to show the Chargers that our loyalty can be just as conditional as his. Let him try this market grab in LA and have another team come in and steal away the San Diego faithful. It'd serve him right. Unlike the Raiders he will have no home to come back to when the LA experiment fails. I never thought I'd be saying this but I think it's time to say goodbye to the Chargers and look to bring in another franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    For all the issues that the owners may have with those that govern the city, and I am sure there is fault on both sides, they have shown little or no regard for the fans. Perhaps they assume that people will blindly follow them to LA or perhaps (and this is where my money is) they couldn't give a tiny rat's ***.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I will follow the Chargers, but my money won't...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    At this rate I don't see any reason to waste a ton of time/effort/money on this team. I'm basically done with them and even if they stay in SD it'll take some time to get over this BS. If they end up staying for one more year before going to LA I don't think I'd go to a single game.

Much like my ex-wife, the Chargers ownership took something I love and turned it into something I'm infuriated by

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    I'm done. I don't want that ownership in San Diego anymore. It would be entertaing watching the Spanos clan completely fail in LA.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    The Chargers have been trying to build a stadium in San Diego since I was still in A school.

I don't think there's much merit to the charge that they haven't been loyal just because both sides never came to an agreement.

8. Aircoryell619

Aircoryell619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    They had an opportunity when they had the work done to Qualcomm to get a stadium. No they decide to get the work done to the Q and come back a few years later and say it isn't sufficient. Also they got a sweetheart rental agreement that they bilked the city with for several years. Yes shame on the city for letting it happen but no wonder the city was gun shy dealing with the Chargers. I know the city has had many missteps over the years but realistically they have tried to work with the Chargers.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    There's no such thing as a failed deal where only one party owns the entirety or even the majority of the blame.

But the fact of the matter is the Chargers have been working with the city to get a stadium done for almost two decades. It's silly to proclaim lack of loyalty when they've passed on multiple opportunities to bail.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Bail to where? What city was clamouring for the Chargers to relocate?

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    12308568_947277705353024_3672435420845740104_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    You ask this like we haven't been talking about LA every offseason for the past two decades.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's not the whole story though. The Chargers have failed to move to LA despite several opportunities, just as the city has failed to build a new stadium. They've been equally unsuccessful from what I've seen.

And lets face it, LA was NEVER clamoring for the Chargers.... it was the other way around. As I asked before, what city has been vying for the Chargers to relocate?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  14. Aircoryell619

Aircoryell619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    The Chargers knew what political climate they were trying to accomplish the stadium deal in. The case can be made that the timing would never be right, but the city was hamstrung and on the verge of bankruptcy. Their hands were tied for several years. The political and economic climate has finally warmed and you finally have a mayor that is willing to get this thing done. Sweep all the BS under the rug and start fresh, the SAN DIEGO Chargers fans deserve the Chargers full attention on getting it done. If the Chargers ownership really valued their fans in San Diego more than losing their market share in LA they'd be giving a San Diego stadium push their undivided attention. It can get done in San Diego. They finally have what they've never had in the past a mayor that wants to get this thing done and granted he's bumbled his way through this but the mayor wants to get it done, I have no doubt about that.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    In a weird way, we probably should have traded the kitchen sink for Mariota. We'd still suck, but at least we'd have something to look forward to. Right now I'm just counting the days until Rivers demands a trade, which I don't think is totally unlikely if McCoy is retained and they move to LA.

This team is nowhere near ready to contend, we're going to have to overhaul the coaching staff as well as the offensive line and defensive line. Somehow find a WR to compliment Allen, and figure out what to do with potentially dead weight like Brandon Flowers, King Dunlap, and Donald Butler. Not to mention re-sign Weddle and Gates, neither of which I think is a layup at this point.

Who knows if Melvin Gordon will ever work out. I think the kid is talented, but I was never enamored with him the way I was with (a healthy!) Ryan Mathews, who's production spoke for itself even when the team wasn't that good.

This team is entering rebuild mode harder and faster than they did in 2013. If I were Rivers, I'd want out.

16. Aircoryell619

Aircoryell619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Couldn't agree more. The Chargers have had their eye on the LA market but haven't had the political capital amongst their peers to make a move to LA a reality. Their lease has been an obstacle to them moving for several years and they knew that the only way they'd get league support for a move is make an effort to get a stadium deal in San Diego. However, this just happened to be during the most inopportune time for the city. Possible bankruptcy, a horrible bond rating etc. Is this a coincidence? No, to pass the time until the horrible lease was up they tried to get a deal done in the most unfavorable climates. Why? Because they didn't want a deal done at all, they just wanted to bolster their case for moving to LA. The Chargers only stayed in the proverbial relationship with San Diego until they were certain they could land in another relationship with LA. Gotta give the Chargers credit, well orchestrated. Fabiani was hired several years ago to make this LA move a reality.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Revisionist history much Blue?

Can you point out ONE CITY that has ever 'clamored' for a team. It has never happened. A small group puts together a package to show that they can be a viable solution and home for an NFL team. If they are lucky they have a large enough minority in the area to get things rolling their way.

There is never 'a city' clamoring for teams.

It is two faced in my honest opinion to say that the Chargers trying to work out things in San Diego is somehow failing to take action, then for you to turn around and lambaste them for now wanting to move. So which is it? The Chargers failed to move and are now correcting that over sight, or they tried to work it out in SD, but you irate fans did not support those efforts?

Please lets not forget the Aguires and Fryes that the Chargers have had to deal with while trying to stay here. Where is your indignation for the stupidity of the City Council over the last 14 seasons?

Yeah your team is now trying to move. The stadium they are playing in is a dump, the Mayor suddenly after 14 years now wants a vote, which you have pointed out before will fail because the 'Chargers fan' is the minority in the cash strapped town. So are you just butt hurt that they have the audacity to move on you rather than continue to play in a stadium that the city council has intentionally allowed to deteriorate to the point it is a national joke?

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Fabiani is just like a modern-day version of Grima Wormtongue, distorting truth and he works for the lord of darkness, Roger Goodell.

Grima-grima-wormtongue-35722126-736-479.jpg

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Revisionist how? It's a simple fact. The Chargers have tried to find a way to move to LA before and have failed. They have also tried to get something done in San Diego and have been equally unsuccessful. I fail to see how saying so is inaccurate. Failure is something they seem to be particularly good at.... on the field and off. The true "Lord of No Rings" is named Spanos.

20. Aircoryell619

Aircoryell619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    There is a precedent for cities CLAMORING for teams. Especially when they lose a team, look no further than Cleveland and Baltimore. The Chargers have had their eye on the LA market for some time but LA didn't reciprocate. LA would have preferred either the Raiders or Rams over the Chargers. Heck they would have taken an expansion team over the Chargers. The Chargers have slowly and steadily built their case for LA. Like I said well played Fabiani.

21. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
  22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Show me something indicating they have filed for relocation before.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Nope. You are still dealing with minorities. In both cases there were still majorities who were if not out right opposed to spending to have a team return then just stuck in not caring.

How are you judging what "LA" wants? Because one guy at the SD town hall meeting was from LA and wore a Rams shirt? Please provide something to indicate that you are correct in your assessment of the mentality of the sports minded minority of LA.

You might want to use some of that angst on the SD city council. Many of the butt hurt SD fans (note, not CHARGERS FANS BUT SD FANS) seem to have conveniently forgotten all that the city council has done over the last decade and a half to poison the well.

24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Anyone who knows the SoCal market knows that there is a considerable constituent group in
    Los Angeles that really wants their Rams back.

There is also a large number of wanna-be thugs that want their Raiders back.

There has never been any significant desire in L.A. for the Chargers, and their current 3-9 record
    sure isn't converting any of the Rams or Raiders fans. (Hell, the Chargers were chased out of L.A. after a 10-4 season!)

The Spanos family tried for years to act as though they had some right to the L.A. market...
    but Kroenke changed the calculus.

I can't believe the Spanoses are dumb enough to think L.A. will embrace them...more likely they're
    just terrified that if the Rams and/or Raiders get re-established there, the Spanoses won't be able
    to play the L.A. blackmail card that so many teams have played for the last 20 years.
    There's some truth in that.

Does that excuse the "bad faith" the team has shown in the last 6 months, or the obnoxious, disrespectful
    things said by that a-hole Fabiani? No. I once gave Charger ownership the benefit of the doubt...
    that they really were committed to keeping our team here in San Diego...
    but the Kroenke move scared them, and they have revealed their true, myopic, carpetbagger colors.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    It's not so much cities vying for the Chargers to relocate, it's been cities vying for an NFL team with the Chargers and their hometown situation being one of their possible options.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    They never got that far, as their initial plans failed because they lack the finances to do anything alone. If they really wanted to go to LA so bad, they could've taken AEG's offer. Just as in their negotiations with the city, beggars can't be too choosy. If you can't afford to do something yourself, then you have to be willing to compromise.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yes, a team in abstract, but not the Chargers specifically. How many cities would want this team and this ownership, while having to shell out $1 billion+ to build them a stadium?

That sound you hear is crickets.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Where are you getting the information they had initial plans and they failed? I have seen nothing saying there were ever attempts, other than from angstafied fans who are well.... Angstafied.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I see this repeated by the SAN DIEGO fans. But I don't see anything other than their desire for it to be true.

Actually the crickets you hear are for the Chargers remaining in SD. There is not real plan, the NFL knows it and is tired of playing games with the dysfunctional San Diegan politicians. But the SD fan can delude themselves into thinking that the city is the victim and had tried and tried and tried again to work with the Chargers. If the lie soothes you aches, good on you. ;)

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You need to get out of this forum and do a little reading once in a while. ;)