1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Hardwich Out for the Season...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by robdog, Sep 10, 2014.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I guess that's the end of his career then....... what a sad ending for a great guy. I feared that was going to be Floyd's story too. :(

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Noooooooo!!!! :cry:

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Sad end. What a performer he was for San Diego. May he have a v happy life now. Time to #winitforNick.

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    A consummate warrior and a leader who will be missed. His health is more important than the game and his team though. Maybe the football "gods" will surprise us and keep MF80 healthy for us ALL season. Thank you Nick Hardwick. Get back to full health as best as can be and enjoy Sundays like the rest of us couch-warriors with beer, chips and dips :tup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

(might as well make an R.I.P. page now for Rivers, Seattle might take his head off)

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    He goes out Monday Night with a bum ankle and get put on I/R for a neck injury??? Something don't smell right.

Thanks for all your great play over the years Nick. Taking care of yourself is more important than the game but it sure would have been nice for you to go out on your own terms with a Ring....

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not good, but more importantly I hope it does not pose any permanent medical concerns for him.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Now the good news....... Fluker was back practicing today. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    John Abraham may not get out so lucky. Apparently he's already had memory issues before his concussion on Monday.

They keep calling it a neck issue for Hardwick, hopefully that's the case because at least modern science can manage that.

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Nick's been struggling with the neck since pre-season (really it's been lingering since at least last season)

His ankle did get rolled on and that's what ultimately got him pulled from the game, but he also left the 49'er game earlier than any of the other starters due to his neck. Who knows, he may have left this one eventually as well, it could have been a combo of ankle and neck for all we know. Until he went to IR I bet the team would have kept it as quiet as possible anyway, as they have been with all injuries (as much as they can).

12. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Beat Seattle as a way to say, 'Thanks Nick!'

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
  14. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    This sucks!!! I was hoping this new blocking scheme, which fit Hardwick so much better than the old power scheme, would be keep Hardwick around for another few years. Center is one of the Oline positions that age can be less of a factor. Hardwick was a great Charger.

15. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Devastating....what a freak'n bummer. :( :poop:

16. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I wonder how they are going to work this? Do we sign a journeymen C or does Chris Watt get the backup center snaps now, with the potential to take over the position down the road?

I hope Clary heals quickly, we could really use the guy right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Oh God.. "Chargers confident with Ohrenberger starting at center". Hopefully Philip says a few more prayers for himself. He'll need it.

I would like to see us bring in a C. I like us bringing back Khalil Wilkes. I think Watt starting at RG helps whoever the C is, Ohrenberger or Troutman because of his communication. Bringing in a vet like Ryan Cook or Doug Legursky would be great. Don't mind stealing Anthony Steen from the Cardinals PS because he is athletic and smart enough to play all 3 interior spots.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I think it depends on whether they view Watt as the future C. If they do, we'd be better off giving him extra time at center in practice now. Might as well move on now if we can.

19. NatroneBomb

NatroneBomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Has there been any word yet on who they will bring in to fill Nick's roster spot? I really don't think any of the free agents available are better depth than what we already have at backup center.

Long shot I realize, but our old friend David Molk had a really nice preseason with the Eagles even getting an honorable mention on PFF's preseason second team at Center*, does anyone know if he's on their active roster or just on their practice squad? I was a big fan of his potential when we originally drafted him, slightly undersized center with huge strength, he actually reminded me of a young Hardwick. I certainly wouldn't mind a reunion if this really is the end for Hardwick.

*https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/26/team-of-the-preseason-second-team/

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ I was thinking the same thing about Molk, kid has a lot of moxy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Molk is on the active roster of the Eagles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Don't think he's ready to be honest. He needs to anchor better. Very smart, great communication but slow getting out of the snap. This is where Troutman excelled at when given snaps at C. He anchored well and was quick but struggled with communicating and recognition. I think a combo of Troutman at C/Watt at RG or vice versa will be the most ideal situation. I really don't think Ohrenberger is good enough to start at C.

Unless we can orchestrate a trade or sign a FA. Wishful thinking.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Doug Legursky signed. 15 starts at LG, 8 starts at C and 7 starts at RG. He's been apart of 2 Super Bowl runs by the Steelers. He played well in their Super Bowl loss to the Packers.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    More depth, but not the likely starter...... It's Ohrenberger's job to lose.

25. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Ohrnberger will be fine. What worries me are the consequences of him getting injured. Losing OL depth so early in the season is somewhat disconcerting.

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    For sure, I just hope Ohrenberger can step up. This is just insurance to make sure he does/can.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Well, no team has so much depth that losing a starter has no impact. The backups are backups for a reason, either they're not as good, or they're young and too inexperienced, even if they have the talent.

28. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Well in Harwick's case you can argue that he was reaching the end of his run anyway. So his eventual replacement should be closer to the end of the learning curve than otherwise.

He was a good player for us, but always a bit smallish for a center. I have high hopes for us improving the level of performance we are getting from that position. Sooner than later would be great.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think O'berger will be fine from a physical standpoint, it's diagnosing the defense and calling out the adjustments where I think Hardwick excelled. That, and all his time with Rivers made them a synergistic pair.

30. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Hardwick is going to be missed in practice and the locker room maybe the most. Fun guy to have around apparently. I agree we will miss his head more than his physical play.