1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nick Hardwick signs six year extension with Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 16, 2006.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headli...ws_20060616.htm

While many 24-year-old young men have a tough time with commitment, Chargers center Nick Hardwick welcomes it.

Earlier this offseason, the former Purdue Boilermaker proposed to his longtime girlfriend, Jayme Biamonte, and on Friday, Hardwick committed his football future to the Bolts by signing a six-year contract that will keep him in San Diego through 2011.

“I’m thrilled that I’m going to get to be here for a while,” Hardwick said. “I love San Diego and have great relationships with my teammates. I’m looking forward to this team continuing to move in the right direction. We’re going the right way and we’re only going to get better.”

This offseason, Hardwick committed himself to the weight room and was able to add bulk to his 6-4 frame. He believes that his physical success this offseason is one of the reasons the Chargers offered him a new deal.

“I think I needed to show the Chargers that I could put weight on and that I could be more durable,” Hardwick said. “I’m feeling great and I’m really happy with where my body is right now. I’m not sure that the weight issue was the deciding factor, but I think it helped.”

In his first two seasons with the Bolts, Hardwick started 27 games at center. He’s responsible for calling out the blocking schemes for the offensive line and his consistent play is a big reason the Chargers have rushed for 2,000 yards in each of the last two seasons.

“This is another good move for the Chargers,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “Nick has been a strong contributor to our team and to the offensive line since he joined us as a rookie in 2004. He still hasn’t realized all of his potential. We think Nick has a great future ahead of him and we’re excited that his future will be spent right here in San Diego.”

Hardwick believes that new offensive line coach Jack Henry and assistant Hal Hunter will push him to that next level.

“They’ve been a huge help,” Hardwick said. “We realize we as an offensive line didn’t have a great year last year but we’ve got double the brains in there now coaching us up. We’re going to be a solid group. We believe it all starts up front and we’re committed to making it happen.”

Hardwick will be in San Diego for the next couple weeks working out with his teammates before taking a short vacation to the Midwest prior to training camp. He and Jayme have yet to set a wedding date but are planning to tie the knot sometime next spring.

“I’m just enjoying living in San Diego and being a Charger right now,” Hardwick said. “I’m looking forward to relaxing a bit and seeing my family and Jayme’s in the next few weeks, but I’ve also got business to take care of. I’ve got to physically get the most out of this next month and come to training camp ready to go.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    That's awesome news! Hardwick still has upside and I'm glad that he is adding more bulk to himself. Hopefully he'll become better than Courtney Hall. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I would have preferred the Bolts wait until the year was over but someones sees something which I do not see......hmmmm....I am all for stability so this year will be Hardwicks test for me.

5. ChargerLover

ChargerLover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I think the added weight and muscle showed the dedication to this guy in improving what he lacked in 05... They guy is technically sound IMO, and the added bulk is going to really help him and us.