1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nick Perry falling?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Apr 24, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Its been reported by Schefter, Perry will fall into the 2nd round. So, would you guys trade back, take Harrison Smith, gain an early pick in the 2nd and select Perry and still have the 49th pick to spare.. Or just take Chandler Jones, who's draft stock improved out of no where and focus on our 8 picks.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632

If the idea is to trade back I'd likely trade back into the first, select Harrison Smith and then take the best OLB available regardless of whether its Perry or Branch

3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    what does schefter know... if perry is there at 18 and AJ wants him he will just take em at 18 i doubt hes gonna trade back with the hopes of getting him.. when AJ falls in love with a prospect he trades up and reaches for him.. not trade back and risk not getting him

4. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    the fact that DE/OLB's stocks have taken a hit, and other position and players have significantly proven their stock and worth guys like Perry are getting pushed into the 2nd. For example..

Quinton Coples fell off, projected to be a top 5, then top 10, then top 15.. now hes a top 20..
    Chandler Jones rose, I didn't even hear of this guy getting drafted until the 3rd and 4th rounds and now he is a top 20 pick!
    Courtney Upshaw fell off, projected top 10, then top 15, then top 20.. now he might go elsewhere in the 20's..
    Shea McClellin rose, another prospect projected to go 2nd round+ and now he's a 1st rounder!

Guys are fluctuating, needs are fluctuating and this only betters our chance to get the players we want. Harrison Smith looks like he won't get past pick 30, so yes, If I was AJ I would trade back a few spots, gain a 3rd take Smith and trade up in the 2nd and take Nick Perry. If not, I have a lot of confidence that Perry, Mercilus, Branch, or Curry will be there at 49.

5. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    everything you just said is a perfect example of what the media does... its their jobs to talk about the draft for months leading up to it so they overhype stuff and move people up and down their "big boards" while absolutely nothing has changed since the combine .... these late risers and fallers that "experts" talk about is all just bullshit you will hear them often say "the belief around the league is" or "many teams are not sold on" thats all bullshit nobody within an organization is leaking real information most of what comes out of an organization around draft time is pure bullshit because their working an angle for a player or trade or something... football is the most popular sport in the country so they keep the fans of the game like us entertained by finding new and more ways to talk about it as much as they can.. u believed perry was a top 20 pick 2 weeks ago but now hes fallen into a mid second round pick? :rolleyes: year after year in the first round youll see top 10 picks according to the "experts" falling till round 2... it only takes 1 team to believe a prospect has a 1st round value in order for him to be a first round pick

• Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    It makes you wonder if the draft was May 28th would the boards change again, and McClellin would fall back like Fleener has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    It is funny to me that there is no clear cut best DE/OLB this year more on what teams like and will they fit their scheme. Media's job is to report what they hear and also may be the ones stoking the fire. For all we know McClellin's agent is throwing his name around so teams will be like "Who's Shea McClellin? lets look at him"

The Chargers may think Ronnell Lewis is the best OLB in this draft because they may like his high motor and hard hitting mentality (Which I'll be honest we lack in that category) The Titans may think Chandler Jones is the best because they see a potential beast of a pass rusher, Cinci may think Upshaw is the best because they may feel like he's the safest. Its all speculation, Im nervous and excited to see how this plays out. could be really stoked or pissed rushing to look up who the heck we got on YouTube

8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    the good ol' post draft pick youtube search, i thought i was the only one to do that after every pick .. with AJ sometimes the player picked doesnt even have a highlight up on youtube :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Haha I was at work when the 2nd round was going on, I was stoked with Gilchrist, was thinking we'd go Pass rush next with Acho and Houston I think were still available thinking we would get one of them, once they said Jonas Mouton I was like "WTF?!?!?!! who is this kid"

Had to even do the same for Liuget to be honest, didn't pay attention to him because I never thought he was an option

10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    hahaha the jonas mouton to me was like a nightmare i was desperately trying to wake up from.. if i remember correctly i couldnt even find a youtube video of his highlights then i went on to google searching what the draft "experts" said about him and he was a projected 4th or 5th round pick.. and even on the nfl draft broadcast they were only calling him a good special teamer .. sounded like a real piece of :poop: ... hopefully he proves em all wrong... in AJ we trust? :tdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Perry won't get past Seattle. Carroll brought him into USC & will take him at 12. He's a much better fit as a pass-rushing 4-3 DE than at OLB.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I was just wondering everybody's take on this.. That's all, speculation he might fall into the 2nd and to me if he does that a hell of a bargain. If Kuelchy or Ingram fall to 12 I could see Carrol taking one of those guys. Perry would be a reach at 12, he's top 20-30 material wouldn't say top 15..

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree that it's a reach but I see 3 things that would lend weight to him going to Seattle ...

1) He fits Seattle's scheme.
    2) Carroll is familiar with him & his abilities.
    3) Carroll is just arrogant enough to feel that he can make Perry into a terror.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Yeah just like Taylor Mays this is a lock. Haha

They could use Kuechly though after losing Hawthorn and Tatupu the last 2 years. Or DeCastro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just throwing out an idea. Unlike you, I don't claim to know everything about everything. :)

16. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
  17. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Same here. And on the first pick, I was so excited Cameron Jordan was still available that I was dumbfounded to hear Liuget's name called. Funny thing, neither has performed as hoped.