1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NIH confirms that Norv Turner's brain will not be donated for research

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IMissMarty, Jul 14, 2012.

1. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    As many already know, it has been reported that some of Junior Seau's brain tissue has been donated for research to the National Institutes of Health.

When asked if, upon his demise, Norv Turner's brain will also be donated for research, one of the researchers at NIH responded "No, there are no plans for that. We have learned just about everything we can expect to learn from equine excrement."

• Old Old x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Weak... But thanks for trying...

3. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Sheesh Conc. In the context of this thread, it's like like thanking the dog for crapping in the front hall instead of the living room.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Accentuate the positive?

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Using Seau's tragic death to make a Norv joke is the most insolent, immature, and weak-minded attempt at creativity I've yet seen on the internet. I mean, did you really think that this was witty, funny, or in some way appropriate?

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Look at the user title ..... do you really think he has a brain cell to stand on?

7. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Same could be said of the guy who liked the post I suppose.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Ahhh, that was a cute one

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I can't believe you liked this post.

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    'I miss Marty' needs to get over the past and let it go. It is time to buy a 2012 Charger calender. We are here for you, man.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Why? It made me chuckle. I guess I didn't take it as serious as you did

13. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    When people hate on Norv, there are very few objective things they can point to. We are not privy to everything and most ALL coaches can be defended in this way. Except for Marty! Not the normal "Martyball" type stuff that can be argued as subjective, but real actual visible verifiable mistakes. I've put the challenge out there on other sites and no one has been able to research another playoff game coached as bad as the Patriots disaster, where he...

1) early in the game with a tie score, went for a play on 4th and 11 instead of a field goal or a punt (if you think this is subjective, stop reading and take a hair dryer in the bathtub)

2) on an easy challenge, played it conservative to preserve timeouts

3) on a challenge late in the game where timeouts were critical, he threw the flag even though the ref told him not to (never seen this before but it happened! The ref was feeling bad for the old spaz and was trying to calm him down. The Pats should have complained)

4) Panicked late in the game and went for an impossible field goal instead of trying another play to get closer

5) was heard by players asking an assistant to calm him down because he was too excited (can't find it now but I've been posting this often since it was reported. No word on what the assistant could have done to calm him down, but it looks like he wasn't able to)

6) Allowed Cameron to sit his #1 super bowl experienced receiver the entire game because of a personal beef they recently had. Anyone remember how shaky they played? You think the players didn't feel something was wrong? (McCardell wasn't #1 on stats that year but was the threat)

7) Allowed Cameron to abandon the run in the second half.

Consider that Marty didn't call one play in this game (other than saying "go for it"!) and still coached the worst coached game in the history of NFL playoffs. Anyone who bothered reading this and still blames McCree for that loss yet somehow blames orv for his NE loss, the Pitt game and the Jets is too ******* stupid to be a sports fan but seems to fit in fine as a San Diego Chargers fan.

If anyone wants to argue about "pulling us out of the celler and bringing pride to the team", it's bullshit too.

2002 Last Place
    2003 Last Place (and much worse)
    2004 First Place- 0 playoff wins
    2005 Third Place
    2006 First Place- 0 playoff wins

Dollars to donuts, anyone ignoring this **** and missing Marty, thinks Ronald Reagan was the greatest leader the world has ever seen. Only in San Diego could this strange Marty phenomenon occur. Unfortunately, the outside press picks up on the results of fan sentiments and miss what's really happening in that town.

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    And we all know who that was...

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    OmG LEL EPIC FTW XD

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's obvious whose brain tissue should be examined, that is, if any exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Well at least the Gipper had Nancy to help him out. Poor Marty was so confused. :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Damn near everyone was screaming for Marty's head then, but the revisionist history people hate Norv so much more that they conveniently forget how much they hated Marty at the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    You just violated the "don't bring politics into a football thread" code of conduct. Please punish yourself accordingly.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    my right bicep flex is a quarter inch smaller than my left...I have never told anyone before and am ashamed

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Why do people assume that just because you don't like Norv, it means you like Marty? I personally didn't like either. I wanted Marty gone, but I feel that we did not upgrade at HC with the hiring of Norv, which should have been the ultimate goal

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not this guy. I remember full well how much I hated Marty and wanted him fired

23. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I never wanted Marty fired. I was mad when it happened.

Ironically enough, I'm also not on the fire Norval bandwagon. (Although I wouldn't complain if it happened....I just don't make a big stink about it like a lot of fans do).

24. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31

Because "like" is relative here and the false equivalency is a weak attempt at sounding rational. Obviously it was an upgrade and whatever negative verb you want to put in to describe how you feel about Marty, just saying it isn't an upgrade betrays you

25. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    If you don't make a big stink about it, you don't get to say "I told you so" later.

• Like Like x 1
  26. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    The Kansas City Chiefs inducted Marty into their Hall of Fame a couple of years ago, and the fans there gave him a rousing ovation at the ceremony. So apparently San Diegans aren't the only ones smart enough to appreciate what they had with Marty :)

This statement indicates that you probably weren't a fan of the team before 2002. If you had been, you would have remembered how much life sucked when we had Kevin Gilbride and Mike Riley running things. Watching Craig Whelihan throw interceptions in a half empty Qualcomm Stadium was miserable. The Chargers hadn't had a winning season for six straight years, and Marty brought them 3 winning seasons in his 5 seasons as head coach. So either you weren't a fan during the truly bad years of Chargers football before Marty's arrival, or you're just a whiny little knucklehead.

As for the rest of your post complaining about Marty's playoff loss, maybe you should stop whining so much, considering that now you have a head coach who doesn't even make the playoffs. Norv Turner's 4-14 record of getting to the playoffs (4 playoff appearances in 14 seasons as a head coach) is even worse than Marty's 5-13 record of winning there.

I guess you, like most Norv defenders, have a loser's attitude. You don't like losing in the playoffs, so you enjoy having Norv because he doesn't even get there in the first place.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Obviously it was an upgrade? There is no way in hell any rational person can say it is obvious that he was an upgrade, because it is FAR from obvious

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

This is all irrelevant in light of your ridiculously callous, insensitive, and low-brow post. Do you have a soul?

Also, I don't suppose that it occurred to you that the team coming out of the gutter in 2004 likely had significantly more to do with Brees applying himself after the 2003 season to perfect his craft than it had to do with any kind of Marty coaching miracle.

I still can't get over your original post in this thread.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I guess it has nothing to do with AJ's AMAZING 2004 offseason and Marty's (and his staff) ability to develop players.

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The team wasn't going 12-4 in 2004 if Brees hadn't stepped up to the plate and wildly improved his game.