1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No. 3 draft choice Waters is high-character guy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 26, 2007

Anthony Waters is who Clemson coaches would send to set another player straight when necessary.
    At the end of last season, one in which he played just 32 snaps, none after Sept. 2, Waters was voted a captain by teammates.
    The Tigers' strength coaches named a conditioning program after Waters this past year because they simply had never seen anyone work out with such fervor.
    Waters was president of his senior class in high school – albeit a class of 75.
    This summer, his tiny hometown of Lake View, S.C., honored him with “Anthony Waters Day,” awarding him a key to the city.
    The linebacker possesses a degree in sports management, which required a fair amount of finance and accounting classes he says “weren't easy at all.”
    So whatever it is that happened July 3 on a South Carolina highway – and the Chargers brass believes it went down exactly as Waters has portrayed it – it appears it was an aberration and that the third-round draft choice is not about to continue a legacy of off-field trouble that plagued the team in 2006.
    “It's definitely out of character to do something that would put himself in the newspaper,” Clemson linebackers coach David Blackwell said. “He's been at my house so many times. I have pictures of him holding my infant son. My wife says he's a teddy bear. That kid can have the key to my house any time he wants.”
    For his part, questioned yesterday after the Chargers' first workout for rookies in minicamp, Waters acknowledged he could have handled the confrontation better.

What happened, according to police, is that Waters was driving with a friend when a passenger in a truck in front of them threw a rock that broke Waters' windshield.
    Waters and his friend later punched the man and threatened to kill him, police said. Waters and Brian Rogers were charged with simple assault and battery. Colby Sarvis, the person in the truck, was charged with malicious injury to personal property under $1,000. All three were released on $1,000 bail.
    A report in yesterday's Myrtle Beach Sun News said Waters has requested a jury trial but that no trial date has been set.
    “Somebody throws a rock through your window, your life is threatened,” Waters said. “I overreacted. I wish I would have handled it in a different way. But it happened like it did. Now it's behind me.”
    Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said he is satisfied with the information the team has gathered regarding the incident. Assistant GM Buddy Nix, who did much background work on Waters during the fall and spring, shook his head and smiled when asked about Waters yesterday. He told stories of Clemson coaches fairly lining up to tell him how much they loved Waters.
    The Tigers went 8-5 in 2006. Most believe they could have won another couple of games had Waters not torn his ACL in the season opener.
    “It was a pretty devastating blow to our football team,” Blackwell said. “He was our leader. He was definitely the heartbeat of our defense.”
    Even after suffering the injury, Waters attended practices and every game. Blackwell has a picture of himself on the field yelling during one game. In the background, 3 yards onto the field, Waters is also yelling at someone.
    “Anthony is a vocal guy, a rah-rah guy on the field,” Blackwell said. “He plays with a lot of emotion. Anthony was always jazzing the crowd, jazzing teammates. He'd be down with the offense urging them on, getting in someone's face if they were down.”
    Waters did not stay down long after the injury. Projected to be a first-round pick before his senior season, he knew he had to attack an arduous recovery process with a positive attitude.
    It worked. Just seven months after surgery, he ran a 4.69-second 40-yard dash at his Pro Day and was drafted by the Chargers in the third round.
    While he has spent most of the Chargers' offseason workouts on the sideline trying to get healthy, he was practicing yesterday and said his knee is about 90 percent. He expects to take part in contact drills once training camp truly begins this weekend. “I'm getting stronger each day,” he said. “ . . . I won't be satisfied until I'm back to my old self doing the things I normally do.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070726-9999-1s26chargers.html

2. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Waters sounds like a steal in the 3rd. A definite character (team first) guy that AJ covets.

Oldie Out

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Waters will be a pro-bowler for us. Give it three years, he'll be scoring 300 ;)

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This guy is going to be a freaking stud. He has it all--size, speed, leadership, intangibles. He's the anti-ankle biter.

If someone threw a rock through my windshield, I'd have a hard time not doing what Waters did. When your life is threatened, it's difficult not to react aggressively.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Question is, who takes a hike or a seat when Waters' time comes? I know this season will provide the answer, but I still can't help but wonder right now.

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    We got SO lucky to get this guy, much like Cromartie last year, if not for injury, he would of gone MUCH higher and likely would of been a 1st rounder

I was really hoping we would land him with one of our 3rd rounders

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Great article. I am confident that Waters can contribute right away, and help to mitigate the loss of Donnie Edwards on the inside. :tup:

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Donnie who? :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Donna is not a loss.

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I fixed it for ya!!!:tup::icon_tease:

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: So true.

12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

Classic :bolt:

Turtle smack ..... :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Yeah I just had to put out a little smack.:lol:

So we have some Bovine and tortoise smack. :lol:

My opinion though is that Waters is going to be much better than the biter of many ankles was for us.:tup:

14. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Prima-Donnie?

Oldie Out

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I can pile on more. Really, I can. :yes:

:lol:

16. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    You need to learn some new tunes, Shammy. [​IMG]

:icon_rofl:

17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I like classic one hit wonders .... :lol:

18. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

Well, there's "Red Right Ankle" by The Decemberists, "Best Foot Foward" Soundtrack, "Club Foot" by Kasabian, and "Shoestring" by the Dayton Family.

Take your pick. :abq2:

19. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    "Don't know what you got till its gone" - Cinderella

[​IMG]

:icon_mrgreen:

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Which one did you date again?

21. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    TK likes blondes .....

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Man, that chick on the end is really flat-chested. Someone needs to buy her some boobs.

23. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I thought you only looked at boobs when the lady is consenting for you to look at them. In addition, that's a dude. :icon_eek:

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    No dude should ever have that much Aqua Net in his hair. If we learned nothing else from the Great White tragedy, it's that hair bands and pyrotechnics do not mix. :no:

Excuse me if I prefer my women consenting. But you stick with the roofies and the hidden "up the skirt" cam to get your kicks.