1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No Excuses...Congrats

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by titanfan24, Dec 26, 2009.

1. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Hey,

Just wanted to stop by and take my hat off on a dominating performance by the Chargers last night. Rivers was on and your defense forced mistakes, which is what good teams do.

I, personally, think that you all are the best team in the league. You are just a hard matchup because of your size and skill outside in the passing game. VJ, Floyd, and Gates are just damn near unstoppable at times.

I would be concerned against a power run team if I was you all (your offense contained CJ more than your defense by jumping out to a lead), but it doesn't look like that team exists in the AFC playoff picture, unless you draw Baltimore. Lots of anemic defenses in the AFC playoffs who will struggle against your offense IMO.

I really like you guys' chances in this playoff run. Good luck and I will be checking you guys out.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Thanks Titanfan, I didn't even think that game would play out the way it did.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I was worried about power running teams too until we showed we could handle Cincy last week. They were forced to go away from the run and start passing, and if not for a fluke INT and a some horrible missed calls the Chargers run away with that game.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks TF24!!!

You guys are going to be a dangerous team next season... I'd bet money on it.

5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    When you get abused that badly, excuses ring hollow. Good luck next year.

6. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    I don't know about that. Our defense all of a sudden has become a HUGE problem that the good teams we have played (SD, NE, IND) have exposed. That side of the ball may see a complete overhaul this offseason with the contracts of Bulluck, VandenBosch, Kearse, and Harper expiring.

Bulluck is the only keeper there, and he's going to be coming off a major injury. I think 2011 may be a better bet for this team, just because the Free Agency list for 2010 doesn't seem to be real strong.

Our front office will earn their money this offseason.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Good as always to see you around Titansfan, hope you had a good Xmas minus this :icon_tease:and your a good man to come here and man up on it.

For what its worth, I think your problem is just finishing things out - you guys don't have as much of a personnel issue as it is between the ears with handling things at the end.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    All seriousness, I thought our defense was going to get owned until the first interception.

9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Classy Post dude... Good Luck Next Season when were all in First Place... I hope we (Bolts) don't get to that point to a long while here...

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    your defense would be solid if you guys didnt have so many gat-damn penalties. thanks for the words man

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Classy, TF24. :yes:

CJ still SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME. He is a threat whenever he gets the ball. If Rivers doesn't get the NFL MVP award, I hope CJ does.

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    ^^^^ what he said :yes:

VY has made some serious improvements to his game as well which bodes well for the Titans, as does the 2nd half run they went on. Going 0-6 and then turning it around like that is impressive. The loss of Bulluck and the other OLB were pretty big imo too, lots of silly penalties on defense which may not have happened with more experienced players in the mix.

Thanks for (as always) being a great fan of the game sir - stop by and see us anytime :yes:

13. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Thanks TF24. Without those turnovers, it would have been a nail biter. The VJ-CJ combination will only get better. Even after an 0-6 start, you guys deserve a playoff shot over the other AFC teams, especially the Donkeys.

14. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I agree 100%

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Solid. :tup:

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Hey TFan, excellent post as always. :tup:

Merry XMas

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Agree with the others how u guys turned your season around is amazing. expect good things from your guys next year.

tf24 is the guy you wish all visiting fans would be, but so seldomn are...

18. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Nice to hear from you, as always!

You have to wonder what might have been had they not started 0-6...CJ is a monster and VY has clearly progressed (last outing not withstanding), but it definitely looks like the defensive side of the ball is very thin. Hopefully for you your FO recognizes it and does something to fix it.

Thanks again, and stop by anytime! :icon_toast:

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I seriously doubt that. VY's passer rating was barely in the double digits. He passed for 89 yards on the night. When the game was still reasonably close in the 3rd quarter, the Chargers forced three straight punts and scored 3 straight TDs on offense. This was a mismatch, plain and simple.

20. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Ray,

That was the frustration being there at the game. The bizarro-world stat was that Tennessee outgained San Diego in total yards in the first half, but the penalty yards and the two turnovers while moving the ball well were kill shots against a team that you are having a hard time stopping.

You can't do that crap against a great team.

I can't say we deserve a spot, this team was a star in the movie "The Hangover" in September. You are what you are in a 16-game season, and this team earned a .500 or so record.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    For someone who's not making excuses, this sounds dangerously close to the old, tired "we beat ourselves" excuse. The Chargers were clearly the better team. It was an old fashioned ***-whooping. Like Ron Rivera said, you never hear of a team losing 300 yards to 275 yards. It's about points.

22. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    You're entitled to your opinion bro, and you're right on the yards and the fact that the Chargers are a better team.
    But when you rack up a ton of penalty yards and turn the ball over when you're moving it fairly regularly in the first half, you're at the very least an accomplice to your own demise.

If you have ever played organized sports, you know that there are about 2-3 plays in ANY game that swings the pendalum and can turn a 7 point game into a 20+ point one. The Siler pick, the Phillips strip, and the Rivers line of scrimmage play (which was the correct call by rule) were HUGE momentum swingers.

Especially in the NFL, where parity is the norm and that there really isn't 17 points difference between say San Diego (a Top 3 team) and Washington (a Bottom 5 team) on paper.

Hey man, don't pick a bone with me, be happy and enjoy the ride.

23. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Thanks for being a good sport titanfan24. You guys have really turned things around though. I thought this game was going to be a close one. Chris Johnson, and Vince Young really worried me.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm enjoying the ride. Not picking a bone. But you said yourself that 2-3 games make the difference in any game. We made all the key plays. You guys made none. That is why you were blown out.

25. chiefsgal

chiefsgal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +443
    yes yes yes...congratulations to the chargers...for a great season and winning the division...:icon_toast: now go win it all..;)