1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No Fines for the Coaches' Spat

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    NFL: No fines for Schwartz, Harbaugh
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 17, 2011, 6:58 PM EDT

The post-game drama featuring Jim Schwartz and Jim Harbaugh will have a happy ending. At least for the two coaches.

The NFL will not fine either coach for their postgame activity in Detroit on Sunday. The reason: there was no fighting involved.

On Detroit-SF coach incident, fortunately, there was no fighting and thus no basis for a fine,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. “However, both coaches told Ray Anderson today that their post-game conduct was wrong and will not happen again.”

It’s a surprising move by a league that likes to fine for all sorts of things, from uniform violations to celebrations to not wearing microphones to flipping the bird.

The coaches will continue to pay in other ways: They’ll have to keep answering questions about the already tired issue.

2. jwmann2

jwmann2 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Surprised they were not fined as well. Fining everyone else these days...I guess it makes sense. They only exchanged words and that happens all of the time on the field. Only this time it was the two coaches.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    King Goodell at his finest once again.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The NFL blew a statement and teaching opportunity. I am not saying they should have thrown the book at them, but something to state how coaches should act would have been appropriate IMHO.

5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    They're two former football players, what do you want, a calculus quiz bowl?
    Much ado about nothing.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Your welcome to that opinion, I however disagree. They are in the spot light the bow spirit of their franchise and they are acting like they are on a 6th grade playground. Not what I want to see from the HC of my team. Is there some problem with expecting some civility and decorum from the coaches?

7. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    We have to be clear though. It was an argument not a fight. No one threw punches, there were no illegal hits helmet to helmet.

It was a couple coaches yelling at each other. If we put up fines for that, should their be fines for yelling at the refs?

Good no fine situation.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am looking at the situation in the area before the tunnel when the teams were ready to go becasue of their coaches.

9. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    True, but no one through a punch. MOST people were in there pulling people away and keeping people separated. Again, tough to fine people for just bumping chests and talking smack. But it easily could of escalated to something MUCH more...

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Good point. Still I would hope Coaches act with more dignity...

• Like Like x 1
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No problem at all expecting civility from HCs.
    Also I see no problem when a couple of hothead HCs go at it.
    Hell, if it was up to me, we'd get the occasional HC MMA bout after a football game (kidding, but still, you know you want to see Rex Ryan get armbarred by Norv Turner)

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    True. If Harbaugh had pushed me like that it would be on...

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    And once The Concster gets you in side control, you may as well tap out ;):D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Funny thing was last night they showed Chuck Knoll's and Jerry Glanville's "heated" hand shake way back in the day. Knoll simply talked to Glanville just looked on. They would be in shock at what we see sometimes today! :roflmao:

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Why do they even have a handshake at the end of the game? Baseball does not do it as they shake hands within their own team.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    But a team just kicked another teams butt up and down the field for the last 60 minutes in front of an entire nation on TV, going out and telling the other guy "NICE GAME" is a bit far fetched. Its not about sportsmanship its because the NFL wants it.

Once agian "WHY"

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    How is it not about good sportsmanship?

19. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I still don't understand the point of fines in pro sports. Millionaires can afford a 5 figure fine. Teams can accept the hit no problem. Now suspensions. Ever athlete feels one of those. And every team does as well.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    we talking about people who will take a cheap shot at someone any chance they get. I think we all know what goes on at the bottom of those piles. In Youth sports its all about teaching kids how to play the game, but once they reach the pro's they know how. Pro baseball players do not shake the hands of the other players.

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    It's definitely about sportsmanship. It's something you've done at every level you've ever coached at, why be a ******** now? When you're a coach, act like you've been there. There's a different standard of professionalism you expect from the coach.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That could be part of why baseballs popularity is waining statistically.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, fine a player because he doesn't wear a freakin' microphone but let 2 coaches act like pissy little schoolgirls & they get nothing.

Just another show of Goodell's colors. I personally give a rat's *** if they hold a cage match afterwards but the inconsistency & bias smells of excrement.