1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No guarantees Sproles will stay Williams well go

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    No guarantees

Kevin Acee
    Thursday, March 4, 2010

After talking with numerous people inside and outside the Chargers over the past several hours, I would almost be willing to bet it is just as likely that Darren Sproles won't be here as that Jamal Williams will be here.

What?!

The Chargers decided to put the first-and-third tender on Sproles rather than risk losing him to free agency, and they released the soon-to-be-34-year-old Williams.
    But indications are that Sproles can still be had for the right deal -- and it won't take a one and a three. I don't know what it will take, but I hear there are teams willing to make a deal.

Williams was let go simply because the Chargers don't believe he is worth $6 million (a $1 million roster bonus and $5 million salary). The great nose tackle will test the market, but the Chargers desire to sign him back for less money. He would be well worth half that $6 mil, even though I think the plan will be to play him about 30 snaps a game to keep him strong and healthy.

• It's an equally good bet Malcom Floyd, Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill and Shawne Merriman will be back. A first-and-third tender is just too steep. And, unlike Sproles, the Chargers likely won't entertain offers for much less than that.
    • I hear a Cromartie trade to Detroit is still a possibility and the Jets aren't the big players they have been portrayed. Who knows? By the way, we will have another story in the U-T tomorrow on Cromartie's legal/financial troubles.
    • Brandon Manumaleuna will take some visits (likely Baltimore, Houston and Chicago). I think he'll get more money and touches elsewhere, even though the Chargers would like to keep him. It is more likely they keep Kris Wilson and find another tight end in the draft or free agency.
    • The Chargers notified Drew Rosenhaus, Kassim Osgood's agent, that they will not even make an attempt to keep him. Don't think Osgood's criticisms of Norv Turner in 2008 didn't play into that. Mostly, though, Osgood's desire to be a receiver meant he was leaving anyway.
    • The Chargers will try to bring back defensive linemen Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone. The coaches loved how the line rotation worked last year.
    • Inside linebacker Kevin Burnett had neck surgery but should be ready for training camp. Hernia surgery on punter Mike Scifres might slow him down on his honeymoon, but he will be fine for training camp. None of the other surgeries the Chargers released yesterday should be a factor by summer.
    • Inside linebacker Tim Dobbins had an original-round tender placed on him. I think a team will come after him for that. He could start for someone.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I figured as much, $7.2 is too much for a 3rd down back/kick returner.

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Listening to an interview with AJ earlier, it sounded like AJ was leaving the possibility of dealing Sproles open (stating we could have 3 new RBs next year).

4. ShockTheWorld

ShockTheWorld BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I am going to :censored: miss Jamal.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    thats what I'm a thinkin. As A.j. mentioned today. Alot could happen between now and draft day.

Here's a question. Could we actually accept less if some team wants one of our tendered players. It thats so that would really open up the barn door to some interesting trades.

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Screw that, if Dean is willing to pay for sproles, i would LOVE to keep him here and wouldnt accept anything less than a #2 for him. I doubt any team in the NFL would give up a #2 for him, and thats fine with me. Hes a great player, and a guy who does so much for us

I just really hope no one is willing to give up that much for him, especially considering how horrible AJs last 3 drafts have been. I mean who is the best player from those 3 combined? ERIC WEDDLE?? Im sorry, but ill stick with the proven guy

Only way i would be ok with it is if we actually do get a #2 for him, and then work out a deal for either Jerious Norwood or Leon Washington

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think thats the idea...We trade Sproles to a team like the Redskins for a 2nd(36) and maybe a 5th. Then we sign Leon Washington and surrender our 2nd round pick (60) in the draft to the Jets.

It'd be like trading Sproles, for Leon Washington + a very early 2nd.:tup:

There I go again, off on my dream scenarios.

8. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Egh forget trading him for a 2nd and picking up someone else

We sign/trade him+Cro+our 1st to the seahawks for one of their 1st rounders and pick up CJ Spiller!!!!!

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    :lol: Wow that'd be something.

Don't forget we're sitting on an unhappy Shawne Merriman, I could see us dealing him to a team like....Green Bay, Arizona, New England, Miami, Kansas City, Cleveland or Buffalo who is switching to 3-4 this year. They all need pass rushers, and a young defensive leader, he'd be nice trade bait for a late 1st or early 2nd.

10. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Definitely rather trade Cro to the Lions for their early 2nd and draft Ryan Mathews. :abq1:

11. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Dude they didnt even want to give us a 4th rounder, and no team will beat that. We arent getting a 2nd, especially from Detroit for that *****

12. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Needless to say, I am anxious to see what we do end up getting for himin an environment where everyone seems to need a CB.

Lito Sheppard was released today, and although I think he makes some bonehead moves, he is physical and would be a marked improvement over Cromartie in that regard.

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Man while we're at it why not trade rivers for a first and a second. Kaeding for a 7th, Jackson for a 1st and third and our offensive line for some 2nd rounders. We could draft like 30 players this year:icon_shrug:

No but seriously why does everyone wann get rid our entire team now?

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Don't be so obtuse:blink:, nobody is talking about a complete overhaul. We all know AJ doesn't like Merriman and that he's not about to commit Terrell Suggs like money to a guy with such off-field issues and injury questions.

The only guys we've even talked about trading are Merriman, Cromartie (both for obvious reasons), and Sproles. Cutting LT and Williams was just collateral damage from having so many contracts expiring this offseason.