1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No Looking Back for 2008 Padres

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Jan 1, 2008.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    No looking back for 2008 Padres
    01/01/2008 10:00 AM ET
    By Corey Brock / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- Manager Bud Black is looking ahead toward 2008, which means looking back -- especially back to the last game the Padres played in 2007 -- does him, his staff and certainly his players no good at all.

"I think players have a great way of putting the past behind them," Black said. "The winter, and then through the early months of January and February, have a great way of lending new hope to a season and new challenges."

That means putting that numbing loss in Colorado in the Wild Card play-in game behind them for good, as the Padres point ahead toward 2008.

That might actually be fairly easy for them to do, considering that a considerable portion of the roster wasn't with the team last season.

The Padres will have a new center fielder (Jim Edmonds), a new second baseman (Tadahito Iguchi) a new No. 4 starter in the rotation (Randy Wolf) and, when healthy, possibly a fifth starter (Mark Prior) as well as the possibility of four new arms in the bullpen.

Edmonds replaces the popular Mike Cameron in center field. The team couldn't come to terms with Cameron, a free agent. The Padres are still looking for another outfielder to help boost an anemic offense that struggled at times in 2007.

The Padres again figure to lean on pitching in 2008, much like they did last season. The team's starting rotation, headed by Cy Young winner Jake Peavy, figures to be one of the best in the National League, though there's strong competition in the NL West, where the Dodgers added Hiroki Kuroda and the Diamondbacks added Dan Haren.

"I think that the talent level has risen just because of the talent of the younger players in our division," Black said of the NL West. "So it's going to be very competitive. It's going to be two teams who won 90 games, we won 89, the Dodgers were over .500."

Grading on a curve: Their critics will complain that the Padres weren't nearly active enough, and there might be some truth to that. But the fact is the Padres are much better off at second base and at the fourth spot in the rotation than they were in 2007. Retaining Cameron might have meant a small upgrade over Edmonds, but it would have cost much more and one more year. Scoring on a scale from 1 to 10: 6, though they might not be done.

<TABLE class=floatRight cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=195 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=1 bgColor=#999999 rowSpan=30>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=194 colSpan=2>[​IMG] Season in Preview
    A lot can change by Opening Day, but as 2007 becomes 2008, this is who is projected to take the field for the Padres:

</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e9e9e9><TD width=35>LF</TD><TD width=159>Brian Giles</TD></TR><TR><TD>2B</TD><TD>Tadahito Iguchi</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e9e9e9><TD>3B</TD><TD>Kevin Kouzmanoff</TD></TR><TR><TD>1B</TD><TD>Adrian Gonzalez</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e9e9e9><TD>SS</TD><TD>Khalil Greene</TD></TR><TR><TD>C</TD><TD>Josh Bard</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e9e9e9><TD>CF</TD><TD>Jim Edmonds</TD></TR><TR><TD>LF</TD><TD>Scott Hairston</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e9e9e9><TD>SP</TD><TD>Jake Peavy</TD></TR><TR><TD>SP</TD><TD>Chris Young</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e9e9e9><TD>SP</TD><TD>Greg Maddux</TD></TR><TR><TD>SP</TD><TD>Randy Wolf</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e9e9e9><TD>SP</TD><TD>Mark Prior</TD></TR><TR><TD>CL</TD><TD>Trevor Hoffman</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textSm style="COLOR: #666666" width=194 colSpan=2>Schedules: Spring | Regular season
    Tickets: Spring | Regular season

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Arrivals: Edmonds (trade, Cardinals), Prior (free agent), Iguchi (free agent), Wolf (free agent), RHP Mauro Zarate (waivers, Marlins), RHP Michael Gardner (Rule 5), 2B/OF Callix Crabbe (Rule 5), RHP Carlos Guevara (Rule 5), INF Luis Rodriguez (waivers, Twins). The team also signed a handful of players to Minor League contracts, including two former Major League pitchers, Glendon Rusch and Shawn Estes.

Departures: 2B Marcus Giles (released), OF Brady Clark (released), OF Terrmel Sledge (released), OF Rob Mackowiak (contract not renewed), OF Mike Cameron (did not accept the team's arbitration offer), 2B Geoff Blum (free agent, signed with the Astros), RHP Doug Brocail (free agent, signed with the Astros).

The road ahead: The Padres are still looking for a left-handed outfielder to platoon in left field with Scott Hairston. They've had their sights set on Geoff Jenkins for a while, but the Phillies do as well. The team still wants to see how third-base prospect Chase Headley looks in the outfield. The Padres could still sign a pitcher for the fifth spot in their rotation, like Mark Prior, though they might be content to let Glendon Rusch, Shawn Estes and several in-house candidates fight for it in Spring Training. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

<HR>

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420

Left Field's gonna be kinda crowded with Giles and Hairston both there.

And I don't think it's wise to make 37 year old Edmonds patrol both right and center field.

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    In am sorry here but I am having to laugh my butt off because Poor Edmonds will not last even through Spring Training with all that work in Center Field to include Right Fields at the same moment. Geesh!!! :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Edmonds will need a lot of oxygen to field everything that is in Center and Right Field duty. :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Edmonds will ask for an early retirement from Baseball. :icon_rofl:

To be serious here a moment. I think that the friars will be a dominant team and sneak up on a lot of opponents this 2008 Season because of our rotation of Starting Pitchers and a little bit of the bats that we have with the new arrivals of Iguchi and Edmonds.

Giles can hit Greene, AGon and Kouz all can be an important bats as well.

We will be in my opinion much better off than we were than last year just before the Season began in 2007.

2008 will be an excellent year for the Padres. Dominance all around.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Looks like they screwed up or didnt know who's in Left. I havent heard any solid evidence that they are moving Giles to Left. So, he should be patrolling Right once again.

Edmonds will patrol Center well. :tup:

I have a photo album somewhere when Edmonds was an Angel and I attended Player Photo Day. Just cant find the dang thing.:icon_shrug:

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I like the lineup, there are question marks as far as durability is concerned, but it looks like a solid lineup on paper. That picthing staff has the *potential* of being flat nasty.

6. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think the squad made some good moves; the pitching staff has the potential to be the best by far in the majors, we have bats and players like Kous, Greene, and even Edmonds have plenty of potential to get hot with.

One another note I went to school Adrian Gonzales, and I know firsthand how competitive he and his older brother are so getting Edgar on the squad will def. have a good impact and may give AG the little push to move into the upper ranks in batting.

I think having them together will be great!
    San Diego Super Gonzo Brothers! :tup:

7. skawash

skawash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I didn't know we got Edmonds and Prior. Thats awesome!
    I never heard of the second baseman, is he any good?

8. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    You all know my opinion. If not, Ill just say this......

Pads pitching staff will have a very good year this year.
    Biggest question is our offense. Can we put up winnable numbers.
    Can our catcher throw anyone out?
    Can the aging Hoffman hold it down or blow it like last year?

Last year, I said they werent going to do much. Well, I was kinda right. Again, the same story this year. With much of the west improving, our chances just got slimmer. We still lack the power every contending team needs. Although Im not excluding them from winning another "division", thats as far as this patched up team goes.

We will all see how close we are to being a serious contender when we play Cleveland, New York, Minnesota, and Detroit!

9. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Do the Padres have a true lead off hitter this year? I think runs could be hard for them to get, it would be good to have more speed on the bases than last year.