1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No Matter How Hard They Try, Spygate Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Feb 5, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/05/AR2008020501428.html

By Leonard Shapiro
    Special to washingtonpost.com
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008; 10:48 AM

Just when the NFL, the New England Patriots and Fox Sports thought they just might get away with a Spygate-free Super Bowl, the specter of a powerful Pennsylvania senator threatening to hold Congressional hearings on a very sore subject on the eve of the biggest pro football game of the year had the same unsettling effect on all of the above as a jarring Michael Strahan hit on Tom Brady.

Timing is everything, as Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) knows all too well after a lifetime of political in-fighting on Capitol Hill. So why not leak a story to the New York Times last Friday about possible Congressional hearings on Spygate that would appear in the newspaper the Friday before Super Bowl XLII. It was in print just in time for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's annual state of the league news conference scheduled that very same morning at media headquarters in the Phoenix Convention Center.

The Times gave the story big play in its Friday editions, with Specter even implying a possible league cover-up in Goodell's decision to destroy tape of defensive signals used by the Jets that a Patriots videographer had taken on the New York sidelines in the teams' season-opening game.

Specter told the newspaper he wanted to meet with Goodell immediately, and that the commissioner's explanation for why he destroyed the Patriots' tapes made no sense to him, even if the league did fine head coach Bill Belichick a record $500,000 and the club another $250,000 along with the loss of one of its two first-round draft choices in 2008.

Hoo-ha how that story resonated not only in the Arizona desert, but on talk radio shows and web sites across the country. The ESPN types began yakking about it seemingly non-stop, and there were 11 Spygate-related questions asked of Goodell by reporters at his news conference Friday, making it the dominant subject of the session and a front sports page story on Saturday.

And then it got considerably worse for the NFL, the Patriots and Fox Sports the day before the game. This time, the Boston Herald reported in its Saturday editions the possibility that the Patriots had allegedly taped a walk-though practice session of the St. Louis Rams in the New Orleans SuperDome the day before Super Bowl XXXVI. The Patriots were significant underdogs that day, but won the game, 20-17, the first of three titles in four years.

Once again, Spygate was front and center, and all over the Sunday papers on a day the league surely would have preferred the focus to be on key match-ups and puffy featurettes.

On Game Day, ESPN came out swinging on its early Mike and Mike radio show simulcast on the Worldwide Leader. And while host Mike Golic, a former player, pooh-poohed the Herald report, it dominated the morning and early afternoon pre-game blitz long before Fox Sports came on the air with its four-hour pre-game show at 2 p.m.

Again, many Sunday newspapers also carried either wire service or their own staff-written accounts rehashing the Boston Herald's walk-though cheating story, and Specter kept it alive by appearing on Sunday morning's ESPN "Outside the Lines" show to state again that Goodell's explanation for destroying the tapes and other written documentation made no sense to him.

"I think there are very good explanations for the reason why I destroyed the tapes or had them destroyed by our staff," Goodell said in his Friday news conference. "They were totally consistent with what the team told me. There was no purpose for them. I believe it was helpful in making sure my instructions were followed closely, by not only the Patriots, but also by every other team. I think it was the appropriate thing to do. Our discipline sent a loud message."

Still, to many NFL critics who thought the Patriots actually got off easy, that explanation just didn't pass the smell test.

The Times wrote another story in its Sunday editions quoting several prosecuting attorneys saying they were amazed that Goodell actually allowed the Patriots to provide the league with the evidence, as opposed to sending a team of investigators from the NFL's own security office to ferret out the information with no Pats participation whatsoever.

"Generally speaking, an investigator would not leave it up to the subject of the investigation to voluntarily select what evidence it wishes to turn over," Mathew Rosengart, a former federal prosecutor, told The Times. "Allowing the subject of an investigation to determine what is incriminating can obviously undermine the integrity and the credibility of the investigation."

Why Specter suddenly decided to get involved only the senator can say for sure. He's a big Philadelphia Eagles fan, so maybe he's still smarting from the Patriots victory over his beloved Birds in SB XXXIX. He's also received campaign contributions from Philadelphia-based Comcast, the cable goliath still embroiled in a nasty spat with the NFL over the issue of placing the NFL Network on a pay tier (preferred by Comcast) as opposed to a free tier the league wants, the better to draw a larger audience and raise its ad rates.

In a country now fighting wars against terror on several fronts, with the sub-prime mortgage disaster roiling an economy already reeling from the sinking dollar and $3 a gallon gas, one might think Specter had better things to focus on. Then again, the issue of the Patriots' possible cheating against the Jets was troubling from the get-go, and the new alleged revelations concerning their victory over the Rams seven years ago raised more questions about its so-called dynastic legacy.

Many people around the league I've spoken to since Spygate have been convinced that Goodell and Patriots owner Robert Kraft thought it just might all go away after some of the stiffest fines in league history were levied against the coach and the franchise.

Belichick has always refused to offer any explanation of what went wrong, insisting that his only focus was on the next opponent. Now that there are none left, at least until next September, perhaps he'll finally tell the whole story, maybe even in front of a Congressional committee that won't take Xs and Os for an answer.

Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young surely wants to hear more. In a lively exchange Sunday on ESPN, NFL analyst Ron Jaworski ¿ another apologist in the no-big-deal Patriots corner -- said that in a playoff game back in 1975, his Los Angeles Rams team had stolen defensive signals from the St. Louis Cardinals that allowed him to throw a long touchdown pass.

I didn't happen to watch it on Sunday, but Bob Raissman in the New York Daily News wrote that their conversation went like this:

Jaworski: "To me, (cheating) is always part of the game. If you can gain an advantage to help you win, go for it."

Young: "So you're saying you're okay to sneak in and tape someone's practice?"

Jaworski: "Oh, you don't think that's been going on?"

Young: "I'm just saying you're okay with it?"

Jaworski: "Yeah I'm okay with it¿Are you na?ve enough to think this is not happening?"

"Young: "I'm not na?ve. I'm just asking if you're okay with (cheating)."

Jaworski: "Yes."

So, too, apparently are the folks at Fox Sports. The network gave the issue about 90 seconds out of a glitzy, star-studded four-hour pre-game show. In a roundtable discussion with several players, Denver safety John Lynch said "yes, (Spygate has) badly affected (New England's) reputation, but they've achieved so much this season." He also admitted that Belichick, when he coached his AFC team in the Pro Bowl last season, told his assistants to watch NFC practices.

But don't tell that to former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson, now a so-called Fox analyst. Said Johnson, "are you crazy? It's a walk-through. You could have filmed every one of my walk throughs throughout my entire career and my record would still be the same. I always assumed I was being spied on, or taped, from somebody in the press box."

Howie Long added little to the discussion, mostly making light of Spygate by saying that while it's been a fantastic season for the Patriots, Oliver Stone will be directing the movie.

Fox did get Goodell on the air for its pre-game show. But the commish was interviewed by that great American journalist, one we sports scribes all idolize, if you'll pardon the expression. That would be Ryan Seacrest, the American Idol host, who never asked Goodell about the Spygate story, but instead wanted a prediction on the game's outcome. At least he didn't ask him to sing.

Here's our prediction. Spygate apparently is not going away any time soon, even if the league and the Patriots would love to avoid the subject of possible cover-ups, destruction of evidence or cheating. Stay tuned.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    This is going to be the story of the off season.

Wonder if Belicheck will be the first coach suspended for a season...

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    they BANNED Pete Rose... nothing else is appropriate... :yes:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Unless he lies to Congress. Then it's jail.

Bubba: Why now, ain't you a purty little thang? Come on over heah & pick up this soap.

Belichick: Oh, Tommy, I miss you. What are you gonna do with that big thing, you brute mmmffffff, ow, oh, mmmm, ahhhhhhhhhhh .... Can I get you a cigarrette, big boy?

Bubba: Shut up, *****.

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This will be larger than the Pete Rose scandal. :yes:

The coach will get permanently banned and the owner will be asked to sell the team.

The owner is culpable - 100%.

The rest of the owners will know they were cheated as well for the hardware and their egos will demand Krafts head.

The fish stinks from the head down and this is a classic example.

This would an appropriate response.

Kraft has to go. :yes:

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word...Kraft had to have given at least tacit agreement to what's been going on, so...

7. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

Add this to the mix = drugs, steroids

Just today: Pats player busted for drug possesion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3231684

Nice organization! They are perfect...right!!

Stan :rivers17:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

And the walls of Jherico come crumblin down... :no: Wow...

9. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

And add Vlad Putin stealing [Kraft's] his SB ring, right off his finger no less, the bozo that he is, he handed it off to the lighfingered former KGB agent and....poof it was gone into the state russian vault.

Gotta finance that war against Chechen separatists.

That was glorious to see!

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That would be a proverbial no brainer.

The fact after the fine was announced against the coach, Belichicks salary was renegotiated. I hardly doubt his salary went down and more than likely covered the fine. That is arrogance to the Nth degree thumbing their noses at the league.

Goodell was about to let them..........

Goodell has turned into a pussssy.

Goodell did not ask the hard questions and let Kraft hand over whatever the Patriots (and not the league) deemed inappropriate tapes or whatever.

The one big thing that life has taught me is that it does not matter how many "atta boys" you get because just one "ahhh-****" will wipe the slate clean and you are fuc't.

It is a wonderful life. :bolt:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This issue may well be the one that keeps Goodell from sweeping it under the rug.

I hope that Belichick gets called before Congress & has the arrogance to lie. He can share a cell with Vick. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

I believe this is 50% - 50% proposition.

I thought Goodell was a fresh breath of integrity in th comish' office.

After seeing how he mis-managed "Spygate I" I have NO CONFIDENCE in his ability to handle "Spygate II" he will bungle it.

I agree to some degree with Congress stepping in, albeit politicians are morons too, it does make the NFL shudder and hopefully they will not "sweep it under the rug" like they/HE did with Spygate I.

Destruction of Evidence mean anything to goodell?

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

I just dont have a warm and fuzzy about the damn senators getting their noses in sports. I mean, isnt there some national security, economy or nationwide health care issue they could spend their time and energy on?

I mean after all the NFL is an organization built around a game. Before when the national government has tried to get involved in things like this they became a mess...

Something has to be done, yes. Is the federal government the body to do it.... I dont know.... It just doens 'feel' right to me.

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

IMO after the softball treatment Goodell gave the Pats while at the same time railroading a guy like Vick there are hints of racism here. Roger has no problem dropping the hammer on troubled black players yet he quickly attempts to sweep anything under the rug regarding his paste white cash cow.

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not so sure how this is viewed as a 50/50 proposition?

Put yourself in Alex Spanos's shoes and you are busting balls to win a Super Bowl and keep the team here, get a stadium built etc in the richest part of the country for real estate and some ahole (Kraft) fucs up all your plans to get the ring by cheating.

**** is going to hit the fan with the owners if this goes beyond this year and implicates Super Bowls outcomes.

I suspect we all know it does.

Everyone, I mean everyone, you and I included will be taking big bites out of the biggest **** sandwich known to mankinds history.

That is way way fuc't. :icon_evil:

16. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    What?

Vick's troubles were/are a legal matter and are not a league issue, yet.

Que the trumpet.

17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Vick can't even play for how many years? I know that post sounded awfully PC especially coming from me but the thought did cross my mind.

And yes I was trying to stoke the fire. :yes:

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Congrees should get involved. Baseball proved it was not doing **** until Congress got involved.

The mother fucers are not policing themselves and are fucing us in the *** - man. Someone has to do it and the Commish is a stooge. That much is apparent despite him banning Pacmac (wow-big move...pffft)

The NFL was granted an anti-trust exemption by Congress. That should mean they should watch over what no one else has don't ya think?

This is the same league who uses Federal airwaves and has created their own network to be used as leverage to suck their NFL *****.

Congress is doing what they should be doing - spending our money.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And that issue is the crux of the biscuit. Otherwise, I would agree that Congress has better ways to spend their time. Specter is doing his job as chairman of Antitrust Issues and Consumer Rights. He should be looking at this issue as it applies to the exemption.

Goodell better toe the line or his *** will be in a sling, too.

20. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    My opinion

Alex Spanos never wanted to win a SuperBowl, he just wanted a toy to run so he could invite Bob Hope over and say "see I own a football team, top that!" - Deano might be different and "appears" to be different but somehow my opinion of the spanos' has never been one of a ownership that tried very hard to win - also this is a completely different issue.

Now if you had said Dean must be pretty upset about the whole spygate thing I may have believed it, but I think also Dean and AJ are both quoted in the UT in the last month as saying they are pretty comfortable with the way Goodell has handled the situation - obviously WE/FANS are not in the least. So to surmise Dean and AJ are OK with the coverup. IMO.

NOW...If I was in Alex Spanos' shoes I'd divorce the old battle axe, go live in one of my LV luxury condo/apartments, sell the Chargers [to some one commited to winning, because as an old fart with Billions I know I am not] and have a constant parade of showgirls show up to my 30th floor penthouse over for milk and cookies. :tup: Frank Sinatra eat your heart out.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    badda bing... as "Deep Throat" once said... Follow the Money... this whole fiasco won't go anywhere unless the owners MONEY is compromised... it's certainly NOT about ethics...

I wonder if the mob knew.... :icon_eek:

now where's our resident conspiracy theorist....:lol: .... oh, and pass the popcorn... :D

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    What shocked me is how the NFL collected the "evidence". They asked the Pats to turn over the tapes and information voluntarily? :icon_wtf:

That's like the DEA busting a drug lord and then telling him to go home and bring all his **** back so they can test it?
    Dude shows up with an 8ball of baby powder.

The more I read the more I am certain that Goodell has Krafts dik up his *** for pushing him as the new Commish.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  24. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    NFL=WWE
    way yo go Vince Mcmahon oops i mean NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell :tup::icon_rofl:

25. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    We all know politicans will screew us every which way. So we only have the nfl to hang onto to hope for some kind of somewhat fair play. The nfl is trying their best to sweep the pats cheating for the last decade under the rug so they can keep making huge money off idiot head in the sand fans. Gawd help us all.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

27. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

Must have that shirt for the game next year!

28. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    shouldn't it say 18-1 and we have you all on tape.

29. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    shouldn't it say 18-1 and we have you all on tape so please quit hating on us pats.

30. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    shouldn't it say 18-1 and we have you all on tape so please quit hating on the pats.