1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No more Oklahoma drill

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HeatMiser, Jul 26, 2007.

1. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Each year the paper would say that this drill, one of Marty's trademarks, was a fan and player favorite. Now, all of a sudden, no one likes it and it has nothing to do with football?

From today's UT:

Different, same
    Norv Turner said the team will not do the infamous Oklahoma Drill on the first day of full-squad workouts, as was the tradition in five seasons with Marty Schottenheimer as head coach.
    That would appear to be good news for the players, most of whom did not like the drill and considered it to have little to do with football. But Turner said there will be variations of the drill done at different times in camp.

Also yesterday, Turner laughed and confirmed that he will not ask Tomlinson to play more in the preseason. Tomlinson did not play a single snap in an exhibition

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Turner laughs in the face of danger, ha ha ha ha ha!

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    No more Oklahoma Drill = NO MORE MARTY!!!!! :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The Oklahoma drill were fun for the fans. I enjoyed watching one dude trying to own another dude without the sexual innuendos other than an occassional "uncupped hand" butt slap.

PS....guys .....never cup your hand in a butt slap....never.....ever.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Word

6. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    I do it EVERY time...:icon_tease:
    When i'm slappin lady behind, that is :icon_twisted:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The reports of the Oklahoma Drill's demise are premature !!!

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/07/26/sports/professional/chargers/23_13_487_25_07.txt

Former coach Marty Schottenheimer used to open training camp with the "Oklahoma Drill," in which players square off in a physical one-on-one situation. Norv Turner said he will use the drill at some point in camp but knows it by a different name. "I coached at USC in the 70s, and they used to call it the John McKay drill," said Turner, referring to the legendary former Trojans coach.

8. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    All Turner said was that he wasn't going to do it on the first day. He indicated he will doing it at other times in some form or another.

I remember those drills from all the way back in pee wee football. They are needed dammit. If not for the fans, but to check players and remind them this is a contact sport baby....head on a swivel biatch!

9. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Sure, change the name but don't take it out of practice. It's the best way to gauge who's a keeper and who's going to be cut.

You have to make plays or we don't want you here.

Oldie Out

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I agree. It's a quick test of desire in a player.

I'll still never forget when Marcy Wiley got OWNED by undrafted free agent Phil Bogel. It showed what a pansy Wiley was ....

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, in a different article, Norv said they'd be doing the Okie drill but that they'd call it the "McKay Drill." He said they would be doing it at different times throughout camp.

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yeah, it was in the NC Times this morning.

I don't know what the big deal is in the press. The fans liked it, and the veterans got into it every year, as seen in the vids on Chargers.com.

Maybe a couple vets didn't like it .....

2005 story on the Oklahoma Drill. Click on the video at the right to watch.

2006 story on Oklahoma Drill. Same thing, click at right for video.

13. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Man, I love it. Remember bull in the ring, machine gun...etc?

Coaches could be hardasses, but nothing gets a whiny biatch to stop *****ing quite like having the entire team line up with you having to shed them off as blocks each time (re: machine gun). Bull in the ring always let you get back at someone who either gave you a cheap shot on another drill, or someone you merely couldn't wait to hit as hard as you could....."legally."

Time for footbally fellas.........all is right with the world.

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think we should set up an Oklahoma drill at the tailgaters this year. I wanna phucking hit somebody. It's football season. :yes:

15. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    The Oklahoma Drill is very popular in Japan.

It's called Sumo Wrestling.

Oldie Out

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, but at least in the NFL they don't wear diapers. I'm sure glad about that. Can you imagine Jamal or Mcneill in a diaper? No thank you. :no: