1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No need to move to LA, we already have the "Hollywood Chargers"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 20, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I wonder if AJ knows who the heck this team is that he helped created.

I grant he earns some blame for moves he's made, not the least of which being the hiring of Norv and Ted. But AJ's blame isn't the issue in this. AJ wanted to bring in high character players who play hard and think of the team first. By and large he has done that job with his drafts.

But all of a sudden this year, this team seems to not care about playing hard or playing well. With one exception - prime time games. Our three wins include our two prime time games (where we came out and dominated) and a major rivalry game. Those two games we played up to our talent across the board and just smacked the opponents around with ease. The other four games were non-'big light' games and we looked like we didn't know what we were doing. The same goes with coaching: against the Jets, the Patriots and Raiders we had a set game plan that made sense and that beat around the opponents without a problem. Beyond that we play soft, weak and passive football.

Which is this? Coaching? Norv and Cottrell are not known for creating mentally tough teams but they seemed to be tough last year. The players? They were in a hollywood mentality last year but still played damn well

I don't get it but this team only seems to care when the big lights are on

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly. They started getting serious in the second half of the Raiders game. I guess it was mentioned in the locker room that "we have a 9 game winning streak on them and if they win, the headlines will be all about the streak being broken." Bad publicity.

The other two wins are just what you said.

3. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Very well said.

4. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21

Concur

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    What abuncha bullshit.

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't think so, the team has played lackluster in the 10 am games on the East coast for a while now, even when Marty was here it happened. Even in the 14-2 season the 2 games we lost was the Ravens game and the KC game, both at 10 am.

The team does well at home, it's done that with Marty and with Norv.

But if what you say is true then all we need to worry about is making the playoffs, because playoff games are prime time games.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well,

gotta agree we've played better when the spotlight has been on us,

no??

:icon_shrug:

8. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9

Last years AFCCG wasn't a big enough spot light?

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that had the circumstance of the entire team being really beat up, both our star players that was known and those who had to go through big time surgery at the end of the season

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    if i remember, we didn't exactly lay an egg that night. Even though we were sporting a M*A*S*H unit

:icon_shrug:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There goes YOUR allotment of cancer-curing AJ piss. :icon_tease:

Hey look - hardly anyone who knows & cares about anything Charger football related knew that the Turner/Cottrell combo was just about the WORST choice mentioned. So what did we get??

Cottrell sucks, plain & simple. Spin it any ****ing way you want, but the guy is killing a potentially very good defense. Norv is a very good offensive mind, but he doesn't do the HC thing very well.

If it were my choice, Rivera would be HC/DC & Norv handle the offense. It won't happen, but something needs to.

As for the players commitment, I think that it's a reflection of the general atmosphere in the organization. Merriman should be required to travel with the team to every game. :yes: I think he backed Ted down last year & took over this D. We need someone to step up & be that guy again.

12. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Last year we were a ****ing hospital.

13. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I can't for the life of me understand why it took so many people so long to realize that AJ hired 2 career losers to lead this team.

14. ElectrifiedTroy

ElectrifiedTroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, LA doesn't seem to need any NFL team. They do have the USC Trojans! :)

Sorry couldn't resist. I know that's not really what this topic is about.

Anyways, I have to agree with those that don't like either Turner or Cottrell.

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Any evidence of this??

16. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    And we are not this year?

Last I checked:

Merriman gone for the season
    LT not 100%
    Chambers out
    Gates still not 100%

Not to mention Hardwick just came back

This team is a walking wounded as well.

17. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    lmao we finally agree :icon_rofl: I have been saying this **** since the beggining of the season! Do you guys not remember bashing me?

18. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    exactly

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No Me!!! :no:

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

We still shouldn't be as bad off as we are.
    ALL of these results are due to lack of dicipline.

There has been talk about players being out past their corfu time on nights before games. Some people claimed to have seen some Chargers out drinking around 12:00 am in Minnesota the night before the Vikings game last season.
    Yes. I know it's just talk and there is no proof but judging from the way our team is looking, I don't find it hard to believe.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No rumors, no inside sources, nothing in writing. I just saw how the team played last week when Shawne was present. I saw a huge difference in the D after their players-only meeting last year.

I'm probably way off base. Maybe it's just another stab at Cottrell. Maybe it's just mindless meanderings by a senile old coot. :icon_tease:

Maybe the D needs Shawne Merriman WAY more than we wanted to admit. I know what we DON'T need - but I go there enough, so I won't do it on this thread, too.