1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

no respect for bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PRiversMVP619, Jun 1, 2012.

1. PRiversMVP619

PRiversMVP619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Im looking around online and its pretty obvious that Eric Weddle has become the shining star in the dark pitiful defense that was ours last year, Weddle can easily be argued to be in the top 5 of Safety's in the NFL as well.... BUT!!.... Whenever I go on to the NFL website I seem to never see Weddle get any respect, NFL has been giving awards for the best of each position and I just came across Weddle barely being mentioned at the bottom of the page.

Thats just not it either, the people in front of him on that page raises eyebrows as well, for example: Earl Thomas of the Seahawks, Eric Berry of the Chiefs, and Dashon Goldson of the 49ers... in no way am I saying that these players are slumps but to put them in front of Weddle throws me off, especially Berry, yah Berry... the guy that has only played on full year in the NFL and didnt even play last year... hmmm??

Also, NFL Top 100 is already going to be in the 30's and I doubt there will be anybody else wearing the Blue & Gold in those numbers, how does Weddle not go into the Top 100?? He led the NFL in INT's and saved our butts plenty of times yet no mention.. no respect...

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He's not an "iconic" player, he's not a player who has performed at an elite level for very long, he doesn't play on an elite defense, he wasn't recently a top 10 draft pick, and he also didn't play on a winning or playoff team last season, what do you expect?

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    That is awesome! I don't want the Chargers to get any respect, I want us completely off the radar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Respect is earned......... 8-8 teams that miss the playoffs aren't due any from the national press.

Surprised? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    we have seen what this team has done the past 4 seasons when they were projected to win the Super Bowl

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    EMBRACE THE HATE!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Agreed.... but.... Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are both from 7-9 teams that missed the playoffs... so that really doesn't add up, does it?

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Eric Berry is a real talent...... the fact that he was injured last year doesn't change that.

9. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I personally like being out of the spotlight and just letting the players do what they do without having to match up to over hyped expectations.

10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    :bolt2: Weddle plays on the San Diego Super-Chargers.
    He's got my respect.:bolt2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    What?

1) The OP claims Weddle should be mentioned before Berry
    2) You say "Respect is earned......... 8-8 teams that miss the playoffs aren't due any from the national press"
    3) I point out that Berry is from a 7-9 team
    4) You say "Eric Berry is a real talent"

So what was the point of the "8-8 teams" argument? Aren't you really just saying you think Berry is better and deserves the respect?

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I fail to see how one comment warranted a 4 part question. :D

My first post was regarding the team as a whole....... 8-8 teams don't get respect from the media.

The second post was about a specific player, Eric Berry. I don't see the confusion.

13. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    kiinda like the Mike Riley experiment.

14. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    You're not making any sense. A good player from an 8-8 team won't get respect... but a good player from a 7-9 team will? Whatever. Don't bother to answer. You're not going to admit it and I don't really care.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Just because someone else's ranking of the players doesn't jive with yours, doesn't mean Weddle is being disrespected.

And as for not caring, you're preaching to the choir. :D

16. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    You're really not getting it. Oh well. I'm done.

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are recent top 10 draft picks.

18. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    I meant it doesn't add up in regards to Blue Bolts assertion that it's because Weddle is on an 8-8 team.

OK, they were top ten picks. Does that make them better then Weddle? We're not talking about potential here, were talking about proven ability in the NFL. Weddle is a recent Pro Bowler who was named one of the top two safeties in the league according to the Associated Press.

The question being raised by the OP is why isn't Weddle mentioned til the bottom of the page when discussing the best safeties. I don't know the answer, but I don't think it's that he's from an 8-8 team or the others were top ten picks.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    No, you're not getting it. It's all subjective, and many of these guys are hardly "experts". It's just one person's opinion, but it's not like it's coming completely out of the blue.

As far as Eric Berry goes, he made a big impact right away, as you'd hope to see from a top pick. Weddle took several years to become the player he is today. On pure ability, Berry is a better player than Weddle. He doesn't have the experience, and was hurt last year, but the guy has top tier talent. If you compare the stats of their rookie seasons, Berry clearly comes out ahead of Weddle. To rank him above Weddle is hardly an insult, even if it's based on a single season. I assume the guy felt that Berry had a higher ceiling.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    Now we're getting somewhere. This is a much better answer then that 8-8 team getting no respect crap. You're right about the subjectiveness, of course, but so is almost all of what we discuss here. I would still argue that a list of the "best" safeties in the league should be based mainly on what they've accomplished, not what they have the potential to accomplish.

Now I can sleep soundly knowing that this poor new member, PRiversMVP619, who posed a decent question, has received a well thought-out response. My work is done, good night :)

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Opinions are subjective, but there are objective measures you can base your opinions on. By every objective measure, Weddle deserves to be mentioned before talented players who have yet to prove themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    When a rookie comes in and makes a big impact his first year, can you really say he's "unproven"? When Merriman was dominant as a rookie, did you say, "so what, it's only one season"?

Eric Berry showed in his rookie year that he had the talent to be a big time player...... his stats back that up. Feel free to revisit this question at the end of the season, after you've seen Berry's production for this year.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Except that these polls are based on perceived performance, and not actual performance. Also, Weddle is white.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Wait?!?!.......... Weddle is white?!?!? :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Staggering news, I know.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I don't respect the Chargers, and I have season tickets.

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    Actually, I don't think this specific poll (Top 100 players of 2012) is "based" on anything other then the NFL player's opinions.

That last comment you wrote just about made me spit out my coffee. :roflmao:

28. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Yeah the top 100 players of 2012 is voted on by current nfl players.. i actually think he is gonna be in the next batch of 10 they release.. id be beyond shocked if he was left off the top 100 altogether, leading the league in picks while making the pro bowl should give him an auto spot on the top 100 prob in the 25-50 range im guessing

29. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The Top-100 is a silly popularity contest turned into a ridiculous amount of filler for NFL Net. Each week we get an hour of whatever section they are on, then an hour reaction show. Midway through they milked a "halfway" show out of it, and they spend chunks of NFL Total Access talking about it. Then they re-run the show and the reaction show all week. I'm surprised they haven't done a reaction to the reaction show hour yet. ECry Manning will probably get ranked ahead of Rodgers, Brees, and Brady because Wes Welker couldn't catch a ball that hit him in the hands.